Oil reservoir for early flyer (Oil Injection)

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Just got another response from the Rotax forum: http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax-forum/1-2-stroke-technical-questions/6135-oil-injection-bottle-installation#15833

That indicates that it may need to be above the input to the injection into the intake.  Not sure I would be able to make that one work.  I may have to disable the oil injection and run mixed.

Posted

Well you can never be to careful I guess.  None the less, it's worked on lots and lots of Avids as is.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I have the fiberglass oil injection tank I took out of my mkIv. I never trusted oil injection on anything I have owned let alone a plane . To me pre mix is the way to go . Whatever you decide just remember you can't pull over in the air !

Posted (edited)

The oil in the premix might be better protection for your tanks from the FG-eating chemicals in the gas too?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

The oil in the premix might be better protection for your tanks from the FG-eating chemicals in the gas too? EDMO

Couldn't hurt in helping protect everything. I just don't trust oil injection at all . I'm sure there's plenty of people that have thousands oh hours with oil injection with no problem. Personally I'd rather carry a couple things of oil with me when I go far enough and need fuel .  

Posted

could you just get two of the smaller reservoirs and link them together that way you can keep them higher on the fire wall, Or lay up some fiberglass to match the curve of the firewall, Boy the thought of pre mixing all the time sucks, Yeah yeah yeah I know alot of guys do it but not me, I don't fly enough to keep the octane level in the pre mix high enough,

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't mind the pre mix . If I know my plane is going to sit for a little while I'll put in a few gallons of avgas and it keeps the octane where it needs to be . I usually run half mo gas and half avgas anyway. 

Posted

count me in on the love the injection camp.  I have not had a failure on any oil injection system on anything I have ever owned, and thats been a lot.  I will cite 2 instances where the engines burned down due to lack of oil. 

1)  old Kawasaki 440 drifter snogo.  My first ever with oil injection.  Seems you can't fill the gas tank 3 or 4 times and forget to put oil in the tank...

2)  My boat with a 2 stroke 225 hp.  I did not follow manufacture recommendations and put the oil injection tank inside a batter box of other enclosure.  After the engine burned down and I couldn't figure out why I hung another one on the back and was hooking up the VRO pump.  As I was squeezing the primer bulb to purge the air I was shocked to end up getting almost a gallon of water out of the bottom of the tank.  There was no visible indication of this water by looking at the outside of the tank.   Funny but I guess 2 strokes don't like water for lubrication purposes.

With the oil injection it is not a straight 50:1 but its closer to 100:1 at idle and 50:1 at wide open throttle.  Mixing gas out on the road is a pain in the ass unless you carry a 5 gallon jug with you, mix, dump, mix dump, mix dump etc.  at a straight 50:1 you will be changing plugs a lot more often as well.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Nah it's easy for me . I have the 8oz bottles and each for 50:1 takes 3 gallons of fuel . I change my plugs or at least look them over every 25 hours or so anyway since my motor is inverted.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have the injection setup...I ended up getting a 2 quart reservoir and taking a heat gun to it to fit into an appropriate place.

1 person likes this

Posted

They say that necessity is the mother of invention.  Glad it's working out for you.  JImChuk

2 people like this