Yamaha RX-1 Engine mount for avids

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All

I am new to the site but been around airplanes  a while. I have recently built a couple of engine mounts and installed RX1 engines in Avids.

I have been asked to build another one. So  I built a jig and am currently welding one up now. If you need one or are interested let me know.

Ill try to post some pictures the next few days. Glen

1 person likes this

Posted

Glen welcome to the forum! I've became pretty good friends with Terry Bender. Thank You for being the Pioneers on the this Yamaha project and Avids. I've been following Steve Henry's work for quite a while. I have a MK4 Avid that would be a candidate for the swap. Just waiting for Terry to get some time on his and see how it works out.

Posted (edited)

Thanks so much for offering this service!  

The mount, header, and airbox are the three obstacles to the conversion that are a bit beyond my fabricating capability.

A little help in those areas will be great for those of us who dont posses those "pioneering abilities"  :)

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Glen - where are you located? Might make a difference with shipping cost and/or bringing a plane to you for fitting a specific cowl. Also, what material specs are you using for the engine mounts and can you fabricate headers? Be nice to see a pic of your jig too, thanks.

Posted

Here's a few pictures more to follow. The mount is made using 4130 chromoly tubing.

I'm located west of Phoenix in buckeye.

20161121_235434210_iOS.jpg

IMG_0023.JPG

20161103_185016000_iOS.jpg

Posted (edited)

Glen - Looks like nice work. Re: tubing, I meant what wall and o.d. are you using? Also, I can see where the normal (6) engine mount attach stations on an Avid firewall would be problematic for this engine install. In your pic, not sure what that aircraft is, you show (2) lower engine support legs to the bottom of the firewall. For your Avid specific engine mount, do you use these lower legs and omit the (2) inside center of the oem attach stations... therefore requiring (2) lower attach bushings be added to an Avid fuselage for your engine mount? Thanks

Edited by dholly

Posted

1 3/4 inch .065".  5/8 .065".  1/2 .049"  and 1/2 .120"

Yes I omit the two center mounts and add two at the bottom of the fuselage.

Ill get some more pictures of the jig soon.

Posted

Hi Glen, I am very interested in help with a Yamaha engine mount.  I'm hoping to catch you while the offer is still relatively fresh.  For me, it is more of a long-term (6 month) goal  to make this conversion, but I want to accumulate parts now.  Currently I am working out wiring/plumbing on a stand for an Apex engine that I have.  

Is this something you are still able to help with?

Thanks, Neil

Posted

Impressive engine. Nice looking work.  I know nothing about these engines other than what I can find on the inter world. They seem to be quite a beast. Any fuselage mods needed for the extra power?  What diameter prop can they swing?

Posted

Impressive engine. Nice looking work.  I know nothing about these engines other than what I can find on the inter world. They seem to be quite a beast. Any fuselage mods needed for the extra power?  What diameter prop can they swing?

Sorry for wasting space. Found the 15 pages of RX1 and read through them.

Posted

How much for a mount?

Posted

How much for a mount?

I think one guy asked $1500 for a new one.  EDMO