Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Furnace Out - 9460 Bonding?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My furnace went out in the well-insulated shop.  Our temperatures are about 75F in daytime and dropping to upper 40s at night.  But shop temps in daytime tends to be about 60F.  When furnace was working I have been keeping shop temps about 70F when gluing.   Will this change affect the curing or bonding of 9460?  Should I wait until we get warmer night temps to use 9460?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just going to take longer to dry.

Posted (edited)

Just going to take longer to dry.

drying stuff is different than 9460 molecular bonding which usually has to be at a certain temperature for the chemical reaction to take place.  I don't know what that lower temperature range is.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

9460 Hysol, I bet 60 degrees will work fine, here is a copy of the directions:

"2. Mixing the adhesive just prior to use is recommended. The temperature of the separate components prior to mixing is not critical, but they should be close to room temperature."

https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/E26C4A5F8C916DE2882571870000DB25/$File/EA 9460-EN.pdf

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Thanks Nick - Looks like 25C is optimal mix and cure temp for it, or about 70-75F.  Outside here got up to about 80F today and I opened shop door to let it get up to 70F and put some 9460 on and shut the door.  Should set up OK.  If I get desperate, I can borrow the little portable electric heater my wife uses in our attached garage in the winter, but temps here should be getting warmer soon.  EDMO

Posted

Enjoy the heat Ed,  we are supposed to get 3" - 5" of snow tonight and tomorrow.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Enjoy the heat Ed,  we are supposed to get 3" - 5" of snow tonight and tomorrow.  JImChuk

Don't worry Jim, we wont try to take any of it from you!  ;<)  I see storms heading out way now - Could get a little rough here tomorrow.   I just noticed the "Peak Exotherm Temperature" of 9460 on the link that Nick posted:  93C is too high for my thermometer, so I guess that is Very Hot.... EDMO

Edited by EDMO