Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hello from Ohio

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, I have a model c speedwing 582 that I am finishing up work on. I bought this plane as a toy for myself, but now have a girlfriend that wants to fly. Reading this forum I see that I will have poor performance with the speedwing with two, and I want to extend the wings.  Now that Airdale is gone does anyone have any info on the extension kits, rib template etc? Thanks

Posted

Hello, I have a model c speedwing 582 that I am finishing up work on. I bought this plane as a toy for myself, but now have a girlfriend that wants to fly. Reading this forum I see that I will have poor performance with the speedwing with two, and I want to extend the wings.  Now that Airdale is gone does anyone have any info on the extension kits, rib template etc? Thanks

Welcome to the forum.  I don't have any Avid info, but you might scan the old For Sale listings - I think someone had the extensions for sale some time ago.   EDMO

Posted

Not sure the difference between the model c and my mkIV but I have the speedwing and love it. With passenger and full fuel I'm off the ground pretty fast. I run a 582 3:1 ratio and 3 blade prop

Posted (edited)

My slim, trim girlfriends did not affect my plane's performance; But by the time they were my huge, fat, ugly, soon-to-be Exs, They wouldn't fit in the seat and exceded the GW and I wouldn't let them fly with me!   ;<) 

One improvement, IMO, that you could make on your Avid wings is to replace the rounded tips with Kitfox droop tips or some kind of aftermarket squared tips.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

My slim, trim girlfriends did not affect my plane's performance; But by the time they were my huge, fat, ugly, soon-to-be Exs, They wouldn't fit in the seat and exceded the GW and I wouldn't let them fly with me!   ;<) 

One improvement, IMO, that you could make on your Avid wings is to replace the rounded tips with Kitfox droop tips or some kind of aftermarket squared tips.  EDMO

If I did the droop tips on my wing would it slow my cruise or just help with slow flight and take off ? I always liked who they look but never really asked about them 

Posted (edited)

If I did the droop tips on my wing would it slow my cruise or just help with slow flight and take off ? I always liked who they look but never really asked about them 

Good question about cruise - as slow as these planes fly, it probably wouldn't matter.  I don't have an answer to that since no one has ever kept records and posted the results, except one Kitfox flyer who changed from Droop tips to Hoerner tips and said he couldn't tell any difference.    Yes, should help with slow flight and take off.   I did a post about the Piper shortwing experiments finding improvements with the squared tips.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

At around 6000 rpm in windy weather I was showing around 115mph indicated and 108 mph ground . I just want to squeeze every bit of cruise I can get for my lil speed wing . I haven't done the gap seal yet . 

Posted

Good question about cruise - as slow as these planes fly, it probably wouldn't matter.  I don't have an answer to that since no one has ever kept records and posted the results, except one Kitfox flyer who changed from Droop tips to Hoerner tips and said he couldn't tell any difference.    Yes, should help with slow flight and take off.   I did a post about the Piper shortwing experiments finding improvements with the squared tips.   ED

Posted (edited)

Supposedly,  The Hoerner tips have less drag at cruise than the rounded tips.  I have no proof of that, except what the design engineer wrote in his book.  He also noted improved performance when the tips were set so that the rear was about 7 degrees farther out than the front of the tip.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Man I think I screwed my post up. I get around 115mph indicated and 108 ground @ 6000 rpm with my speedwing . That was a nasty windy day and after I got the new tach in that was finally reading write. I haven't done the gap seals yet any recommendations? Oh and this was before the round cowl . ::: enter ricky bobby ::: "I wanna go fast " haha 

Posted

Man I think I screwed my post up. I get around 115mph indicated and 108 ground @ 6000 rpm with my speedwing . That was a nasty windy day and after I got the new tach in that was finally reading write. I haven't done the gap seals yet any recommendations? Oh and this was before the round cowl . ::: enter ricky bobby ::: "I wanna go fast " haha 

Get a Sonex with the jet engine!  ;<)  Go Fast, Land fast!  EDMO

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You build it I'll fly it haha . That's about the only way I'll get a toy like that . 

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

or an RV with a piston engine, Bout the same performance and price,

Posted

An RV is a nice plane but I'm working class 100% and that plane isn't in the cards . I'll stick with flying a plane I don't have to have 3 jobs to buy parts for . I'll get my lil Avid going faster sooner or later . 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi ohflyer 

I’m in western pa,volant and going to be building a magnum kit ,starting this summer 

thx rjg