Finally starting new hangar!

126 posts in this topic

Posted

3.5 months to get the permit, but work has begun!  Concrete guy set up the forms yesterday, plumbers are here doing the underslab rough in today.  When I get this done, maybe I'll have time and space to get back to flying/building airplanes.  In the meantime, I'll get to play with big boy toys putting together my giant erector set!

Mark

4 people like this

Posted

Pictures please!!! I have had over 16 loads of dirt for my shop/storage buildings... Still in the works! I can't find a damn plumber!!! :lmao:

Posted (edited)

Pictures please!!! I have had over 16 loads of dirt for my shop/storage buildings... Still in the works! I can't find a damn plumber!!! :lmao:

If our water comes down there you may need a barge to go to New Orleans to get your dirt!  I read tonight that the Old Miss is out of the banks near Memphis.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If our water comes down there you may need a barge to go to New Orleans to get your dirt!  I read tonight that the Old Miss is out of the banks near Memphis.   EDMO

Yea, it didn't flood a few years ago, and it was higher then than it was in 1927. I think I am good! ;)

Posted

I'll post some pictures soon.  34 loads of dirt for me so far,the hangar is 50ftx50ft and in a flood plain, so it had to be raised above the base flood elevation.  The Hangar part will only be 50x40. Due to a stupid Florida building code rule I have to build a frickin firewall to make the hangar part only 2000 square feet.  A 'residential' hangar can only be 2000 square feet.  If I had done enough research first, I would have called it a 'Storage Building' on the permit, then it could be as big as I want.  I could fill it with leaky old cars and tractors, no problem, but Oh My God, Airplanes are Dangerous!.

I hate frickin idiots, particularly when they are in charge.

Plumbing under slab inspection was done Friday - passed.  Plumbers are definitely a pain to find.  I found a company that so far has done what they said they'd do, at the price they said they'd do it, and showed up on time.  That seems to be a hard concept for contractors these days.  One project I called 5 electricians that had paid for ads.  Only 1 called me back.  Why are they paying for ads if they aren't going to respond to them???  The annoying part is I'm sure they are sitting at breakfast with their buddies every morning bitching about the lack of work......

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

Some pictures of progress.

DSC_0002_small.jpg

DSC_0021_small.jpg

DSC_0025_small.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Progress!

I've been in town this entire year, couldn't get anything going.  This week I'm out of town on business (Las Vegas, but really, it is business!) so of course this is the week the concrete contractor gets open on the schedule to do my slab!  Nothing like ducking out of meetings to call the termite company to get the underslab treatment done, the electrician out to install the ground wire on the rebar, etc.

I was hoping they could wait until Monday to pour the concrete, but the weather looks like rain (yea!) this weekend and Monday, so Friday is the planned day, assuming the inspection is done tomorrow and the forms pass.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Better get them rebar ties bent over Mr. If you don't they can get to close to the top of the concrete and you will see rust in the floor and sometimes pop the surface of concrete,

Posted

Thanks for the tip!  Which picture you looking at though?  I don't see any sticking up in the last one.  The first one they were still working on it.  The concrete will be 6" thick, not 4", so more concrete on top anyway.  This isn't the first slab this contractor has done for me.  The other one was for a 24x35 shed with a 20' apron, still looks perfect 3 years later. 

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I love the smell of concrete in the morning!  Wish I had $10 for every yard I poured in the 37 + years I worked construction.  JImChuk

Posted

It's a lot more than $10 a yard now! :P  I figured up how many yards this was (50' x 50' x 6" with 16" deep x 8" wide at bottom then angle up to the surface footer around the perimeter, plus a 20' x 50' x 6" apron out front, but the number scared me so I immediately forgot it!

1 person likes this

Posted

We are about $130 a yard for concrete up here now.  I got about 71 yards for your slab....   Close?  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The first concrete I had poured was $12.50 a yard - the last was almost $200 a yard - the most expensive was colored at $400 a yard, but I don't get contractor's prices.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Wow, those are some crazy high prices, especially the colored concrete.  Unless you were just getting a small load or something.   The cement company up here always gave me good prices if I was doing something at home.  Being a construction superintendent for 20 of my construction years, I was ordering concrete from them all the time, and we knew each other pretty well.  (at least over the phone)  JImChuk

Posted

Jim,

Yep, 70 something yards is what I got also.  Don't know the price per yard, I just got a price for the job from the contractor, but I'd guess around $150 a yard based on the job price.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Wow, those are some crazy high prices, especially the colored concrete.  Unless you were just getting a small load or something.   The cement company up here always gave me good prices if I was doing something at home.  Being a construction superintendent for 20 of my construction years, I was ordering concrete from them all the time, and we knew each other pretty well.  (at least over the phone)  JImChuk

Not small loads - poured front driveway and rear patio and sidewalk in stamped colored concrete to make wife happy - I had steps from one driveway up to the other poured and it was one more $400 yard in addition to all the other pours - kicked myself later for not making them out of plain concrete, but wife liked them, so..... 

What really ticked me off was that I had two 12' x 25' 6-inch-thick driveways poured to satisfy the road department when I wanted a circle drive around the house - then when I had my shop / garage built in the back yard, the building department said I had to have 50' of concrete driveway on each end, so I had to pour the same amount again at $200 a yard to get my inspection signed off.  There are gravel driveways on my street, but guess they were there before the city politicians got control.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Concrete!!!

concretepoured.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

They had another couple of hours working it, so don't get worried about the lines in it, this was after the initial smoothing after there was finally enough concrete to fill the forms.

Mark

Posted

Do you plan on painting it? My plan was to polish then epoxy paint. The FBO I use to work for was painted. You spill some oil and you mop it up. It sure was easy to clean!

Why termite protection? The structure is all steel, right?

Posted

Do you plan on painting it? My plan was to polish then epoxy paint. The FBO I use to work for was painted. You spill some oil and you mop it up. It sure was easy to clean!

Why termite protection? The structure is all steel, right?

I'm planning to use concrete stain.  The existing hangar has it.  It looks like paint, but the can that was left in the hangar said concrete stain - it is gray and appears to be indestructible.  It was also on the screen room we recently converted.  We planned to put down tile, and thought the stain was too smooth for the thin set to get a good grip, so I rented a concrete floor grinder to take it up - it was not easy!

Termite protection because I'll be storing stuff in it, some of it wood, some of it cardboard, all of which termites love.  I also have to build a firewall to partition off 500 square feet to meet stupid Florida building codes for 'residential hangars', which are limited to 2000 square feet.  I'm pretty sure it is a 'John Travolta' rule....  That will be wood and drywall, so termite treatment seemed like a good idea.  It was all of $225 for the underslab treatment, seemed like a no brainer to be honest.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Did you use Ground Penetrating Radar for the sinkhole under it?    ;<)   We used Quickcrete epoxy coating on wife's garage floor about 5 years ago and it has been great.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Did you use Ground Penetrating Radar for the sinkhole under it?    ;<)   We used Quickcrete epoxy coating on wife's garage floor about 5 years ago and it has been great.   EDMO

Of course, how else could I make sure it was centered over a big one to use as my Zombie apocalypse hideout? :-)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

The apron was poured this morning, last of the concrete work.  2 weeks of curing, then I can get the building put up!  Woo Hoo!

Played with the 'panoramic' option on my phone camera, works well, but makes the picture long and skinny if you don't zoom in.

concrete_with_apron_small.jpg

Posted

You're lucky you live in Florida, Mark.

If we pour the apron separate from the floor around here the frost will heave it up and jam the door the first winter!  Good looking mud-job, though!

Posted (edited)

When they dug the trenches for the footings for my 16 x 32 Garage/shop they were so deep that the inspector asked if they had found any Chinese money!  ;<)  $8K for footings and wall foundations - floor was extra - 8 years ago.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO