Finally starting new hangar!

126 posts in this topic

Posted

You're lucky you live in Florida, Mark.

If we pour the apron separate from the floor around here the frost will heave it up and jam the door the first winter!  Good looking mud-job, though!

I lived in Illinois for years, I know exactly what you are describing.  No frost here though!  They did carry through all the rebar from the main pour about 2 feet into the apron pour area, then tied the apron pour rebar to those extensions, so the 2 are tied together pretty well.  No mesh anywhere in the slabs, all 1/2" rebar, properly up on chairs, not 'pulled up' during the pour.

Ed - I don't want to talk about how much this is costing anymore! :o  Just the fill has cost almost as much as your footings and foundation....

Mark

Posted

If we pour the apron separate from the floor around here the frost will heave it up and jam the door the first winter!  Good looking mud-job, though!

Even that wouldn't jam the door I got.  It goes straight up and down 1 foot closest to the ground:

www.hpdoors.com

Posted

My hangar neighbor carried the rebar through too.  The frost snapped off that 3/4" rebar like it was toothpicks. 

Freezing water is one of the strongest forces in nature. 

Posted

My hangar neighbor carried the rebar through too.  The frost snapped off that 3/4" rebar like it was toothpicks. 

Freezing water is one of the strongest forces in nature. 

Ground never freezes down there - just sinks into a hole in the old ocean floor!   EDMO

Posted (edited)

I lived in Illinois for years, I know exactly what you are describing.  No frost here though!  They did carry through all the rebar from the main pour about 2 feet into the apron pour area, then tied the apron pour rebar to those extensions, so the 2 are tied together pretty well.  No mesh anywhere in the slabs, all 1/2" rebar, properly up on chairs, not 'pulled up' during the pour.

Ed - I don't want to talk about how much this is costing anymore! :o  Just the fill has cost almost as much as your footings and foundation....

Mark

Well, you have 5x the SF as mine - should cost a dollar or two more.  ;<)  Mine was on old fill dirt on side of hill - I had buried my 4x4 truck up to the frame there when I was moving into the house - and the inspector said they had to go down into the original clay, so that's why it went about 8 or 10 feet deep at deepest edge.  I think our "frost depth for construction" is about 3 feet down, but it never freezes anywhere near that deep.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mother nature is taking some pity on me this week.  We are getting some badly needed rain - 4 inches over the last 2 days so far.  It makes staring at the poured concrete easier while I wait the 2 weeks for it to cure enough to put a forklift on.

Mark

Posted

And another 4 loads of fill to feather out the area in front of the apron so it looks less like a cliff diving location...... :P

Mark

Posted

Mark,  Your last post was 24th of May - Now 16th of June - Just wondering if anything is on the concrete yet.  EDMO

Posted

Ed,

The rain I was bragging about hasn't quit yet.  My weather station says 15 of 16 days in June so far had rain, and 10.65 inches total this month (normal is 7 for the entire month).  I had the forklift delivered yesterday, and I'm putting up the support beams today.  I'll just have to dodge the thunderstorms like I do when flying in Florida! ^_^

Posted (edited)

After the flooding we are in a drought here - big storms going North or South of us - been doing a rain dance before fools with fireworks set the woods on fire.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Nothing happening again today. Yesterday  I did get the major steel members up on the concrete, ready to be put up.  Sigh.  11.5" this month and counting - this looks like it will add another 2 inches or more.

rain_small.jpg

Edited by marksires

Posted (edited)

Mark,  Look at the bright side - at least the siding wont be damaged by the next hurricane!  But from the looks on the Weather Channel you may need a bigger boat!   ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mark,  Look at the bright side - at least the siding wont be damaged by the next hurricane!  But from the looks on the Weather Channel you may need a bigger boat!   ;<)  EDMO

The siding might just rust away where it is sitting on ground.

I am beginning to wonder if I should see if I can turn the steel frame members into a keel for a really big boat though!  It isn't gopher wood, but it might work.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I am beginning to wonder if I should see if I can turn the steel frame members into a keel for a really big boat though!  It isn't gopher wood, but it might work.

Mark

Where do you buy Gopher wood?  EDMO

Posted

Mark

Don't know - I think Noah used it all, and didn't have two trees left to put on the ark!  You remember Noah, right Ed? :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Mark

Don't know - I think Noah used it all, and didn't have two trees left to put on the ark!  You remember Noah, right Ed? :lmao:

Yes - Noah was a little older than me - invented the Cubits Cube, I think?  But he wasn't in my flying club!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
3 people like this

Posted

Only stands to reason Ed, Noah was a boater and probably was a member of an old school boat club. :lmao:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Only stands to reason Ed, Noah was a boater and probably was a member of an old school boat club. :lmao:

Yes,  I believe Cousin Noah was a new member of the boat club.  I don't know how to spell his name, but I think the club was started by a man called Geldgamesh?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Crap, another inch yesterday evening - came in 15 minutes!  All I can seem to accomplish is get the dirt pushed back up to the slab, smoothed and tamped back out in time for the next rain storm to wash it out again.  14.5 inches so far in June, 18 of 21 days with measurable rain.  Average is 7.09 inches so we are already more than double that.  At least the tropical storm went west of us.  Everything is so saturated, if it came through here I would definitely need to talk to Ed's cousin Noah!

Mark

Posted

I feel your pain!!! It is doing the same damn thing here. I've planted less than half my acreage. This isn't looking like a good year.

Far as my shop, same thing. I have all my dirt spread, but nothing else. Now we got a fricken tropical storm.. SMH.

I was hoping to have it framed up and my grass strip smoothed and planted with bermuda, but nothing on that front either. :wacko:

Posted

Progress!  Finally a weekend with no rain!

My son, I and a neighbor got this much done.  I should start charging admission for the golf cart parade going by, I'd probably pay for the equipment rental, at least :P

20170625_163824_small.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

We'd have made more progress, but it was a) 108 heat index all weekend, and b) I was stupid.

My son and I started Friday afternoon late, we got the first center post lifted into place, onto the anchor bolts, and had three of the nuts on.  Then my son, who is much smarter than I, looked up at the rigging on the end of the post that is now 18+' in the air, and asked "how are we going to disconnect that?"  CRAP, forgot to order the man lift.  Desperately searched for a place to rent one, but the only place open on Saturday that had something only had a towable man lift, not self driving.  Had to settle for that, so we spent a lot of time moving the lift around with my little John Deere tractor.  Everything is 25' between each end, and the towable only has about a 10' diameter circle it will reach.  Lift Girt/Purlin, move lift to one end, secure, move lift to other end, secure.  Repeat way more times than we wanted.

Scissor lift will be delivered tomorrow........

Posted

Hangars must be the thing this year, I'm help a friend put up a hangar now also.  Few days into it and the red iron is hung.

IMG_0882.JPG

Posted

More progress over this long weekend.  Just my son and I this time.  With the heat (105 heat index all weekend), and a missing set of hands, progress wasn't as fast, but we did get the rigid bay completed.  Found I was missing a column for the front end frame.  I thought I had miscounted when I received it, but when I looked at the packing list, they only shipped 1 instead of 2.  That will likely delay me some more :(

The best news so far is that it is dead square just putting it up. I borrowed every come a long and chain hoist I could get my hands on expecting to have to pull this way and that to square it up.  We've checked everything twice, and the most it was off measuring across the diagonals was 1/8" over 50 feet.  Close enough for me!  The height of the trusses at the center was also dead on the plans measurement.  The concrete guy set the bolts perfectly, and the factory made the parts just right apparently.  Surprised the heck out of me!

The concrete guy is coming back tomorrow to put some more fill around the outside of the slab.  20" of rain last month screwed up it pretty bad.  My little tractor can keep up with the front and sides, but the back is too steep and tall for it.   I could have started on the back bay, but I expect he'll have to move some of the dirt over the slab to get the back built back up to the point he can drive on it again.

Mark

20170704_141748_small.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I love the sight of red iron in the morning....:-)  JImChuk