Finally starting new hangar!

126 posts in this topic

Posted

I love the sight of red iron in the morning....:-)  JImChuk

It has been a lot of work to get to this point, but it has been a lot of fun also.  It isn't often a computer nerd gets to play with all the cool big boy toys! :P

Posted

The construction company I was a superintendent for was a Varco-Pruden  metal building dealer among other things, and we put up some of those buildings at times.  Look pretty much like what you have except bigger.  Iron workers always tried  to claim it cause it was "red iron" but we used carpenters on it.  Their union had given it away when there was lots of heavy construction of the taconite plants in our area.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The construction company I was a superintendent for was a Varco-Pruden  metal building dealer among other things, and we put up some of those buildings at times.  Look pretty much like what you have except bigger.  Iron workers always tried  to claim it cause it was "red iron" but we used carpenters on it.  Their union had given it away when there was lots of heavy construction of the taconite plants in our area.  JImChuk

Down here we have Barite, commonly known as Tiff, used in paints & cosmetics, etc., and Hematite iron ore.   Of course, Moses Austin started the lead mines here in late 1700s.   He was father of Stephen Austin, of Texas fame.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yes, mine is pretty small for a red iron building - 50' x 50'.  The picture is only the front half, the 'rigid frame bay'.  The back half is mostly C channel with cable braces instead of I-beam columns/trusses.

I'm surprised I haven't had iron workers picketing me, I'm obviously using cheap, unskilled non-union labor! :lmao:

Florida has a surprising amount of mining - sulphur, phosphate, and other minerals.  It is all open strip mining or dredge operations.  I was driving I-10 between Jacksonville and Lake City, and saw what I swore was two giant dredges.  Since that area is all pine forests, I thought I must be hallucinating.  I looked it up on Google Earth, and sure enough, a huge dredging operation is there in the swampy area just outside the pine forest.  Some company spun off from Dupont extracting anything they can from the swamp.

Mark

Posted (edited)

I know about the sulphur - They had that smell in the well water in Manasota County - First time I went there I thought my Cousin's septic tank was putting odor in the water and all thru the house - No way I could drink it - brushed my teeth using Pepsi Cola to wash mouth out!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I know about the sulphur - They had that smell in the well water in Manasota County - First time I went there I thought my Cousin's septic tank was putting odor in the water and all thru the house - No way I could drink it - brushed my teeth using Pepsi Cola to wash mouth out!   EDMO

A good activated carbon filter takes care of that.  I use a GE whole house filter that is woven fibers with an activated carbon core.  It is supposed to be good for 6 months, I change mine every month.  It is coated with super fine clay when I change it.  I know to change it when the water flow drops noticeably, no reminders needed in the calendar! With that and a good water softener, my water is better than the 'city water' I had in Illinois.

My grandmother lived in Southern MO, St. James was the town.  They had the worst water I've ever tasted in my life!

Mark

Posted

A good activated carbon filter takes care of that.  I use a GE whole house filter that is woven fibers with an activated carbon core.  It is supposed to be good for 6 months, I change mine every month.  It is coated with super fine clay when I change it.  I know to change it when the water flow drops noticeably, no reminders needed in the calendar! With that and a good water softener, my water is better than the 'city water' I had in Illinois.

My grandmother lived in Southern MO, St. James was the town.  They had the worst water I've ever tasted in my life!

Mark

Didn't know they had a St. James in Southern MO - St. James winery out I-44 West of St. Louis makes the best wine in MO.   EDMO

Posted

Mark

Didn't know they had a St. James in Southern MO - St. James winery out I-44 West of St. Louis makes the best wine in MO.   EDMO

That's the place.  It seemed a long way south when I had to ride in the car when I was a kid, but I guess it is more central than south.  Don't drink much, so never tasted the wine, but the water was awful. Of course, the winery's weren't there back then either.  Most of the grapes they grew there then were contracted to Welch's to make grape juice, or were sold at the roadside vendors.  But wait, they pronounced it MissourA, not MissourE, so that makes it Southern Missouri, doesn't it? ^_^  Me, I just say I was born in Misery... 

Posted (edited)

Mark

That's the place.  It seemed a long way south when I had to ride in the car when I was a kid, but I guess it is more central than south.  Don't drink much, so never tasted the wine, but the water was awful. Of course, the winery's weren't there back then either.  Most of the grapes they grew there then were contracted to Welch's to make grape juice, or were sold at the roadside vendors.  But wait, they pronounced it MissourA, not MissourE, so that makes it Southern Missouri, doesn't it? ^_^  Me, I just say I was born in Misery... 

I think MissourAH is Central or Northern - MissourEE was what we called it in Bootheel region.  I was born in "Mizry" too!  My Ashby distant kin made wine near St. James starting back in 1800s - ASHBY and ROSATTI wine is still sold there, but not as good as St. James wines, IMO.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My dad had a company putting up the VP buildings here (among other construction).  Mom would design them and dad would build them.  Lots of trips up and down the big road with him hauling buildings up! :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I was going to start a hangar thread, but this one does it.  I do have questions though. 

What are you guys paying for the building? From whom? I think 44 by 36 will be big enough for me.  

What are you paying for the door? From whom?

I currently rent at Reno Stead and the owner just informed me that he'll start selling out his hangars in the near future.  He asked me if I would buy mine and I asked how much? He more or less said something like "as much as I can get".   He's 81 y/o, a retired Pan Am captain with a much younger wife.  I'm sure he's thinking of her well being going forward.  Not mine.  Probably about $80K+. Anyway, we think the Greater Reno Area has been Kalifornicated to the point where all the charm of living here is gone.  Sixty miles up the road is a little town called Fallon.  Home of the Navy's Top Gun School.  They have a little muni airport there where you can lease the ground for ten cents a square foot per year.  I'm not sure yet of the details but there are a lot of options in the area for building a home.  We may move.  I'm 67 now though and all that work is scary to say the least.  I think I may have one more house in me but the hangar building and concrete I'll have to hire out.  Like some of you I spent a lifetime in construction.  We'll see.  

Hey Mark.  Photos of the finished project with airplanes inside?  

Posted

Mark

Mark, I was going through the more expensive carbon filter every month too.  I jumped a sediment filter in front of the carbon one and now I change the 3.00 sediment filter every month and the carbon one lasts much much longer.

Posted

Mark

Mark, I was going through the more expensive carbon filter every month too.  I jumped a sediment filter in front of the carbon one and now I change the 3.00 sediment filter every month and the carbon one lasts much much longer.

Leni,

Oddly, there is a sediment filter in my setup also, but for some undoubtedly stupid reason, the sediment filter is AFTER the whole house filter, so it filters absolutely nothing.  I didn't do it, it was there when we bought the house.  I haven't had time or motivation to change them around yet, too many other projects in the honey-do jar, so I just change the filter every month.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I was going to start a hangar thread, but this one does it.  I do have questions though. 

What are you guys paying for the building? From whom? I think 44 by 36 will be big enough for me.  

What are you paying for the door? From whom?

I currently rent at Reno Stead and the owner just informed me that he'll start selling out his hangars in the near future.  He asked me if I would buy mine and I asked how much? He more or less said something like "as much as I can get".   He's 81 y/o, a retired Pan Am captain with a much younger wife.  I'm sure he's thinking of her well being going forward.  Not mine.  Probably about $80K+. Anyway, we think the Greater Reno Area has been Kalifornicated to the point where all the charm of living here is gone.  Sixty miles up the road is a little town called Fallon.  Home of the Navy's Top Gun School.  They have a little muni airport there where you can lease the ground for ten cents a square foot per year.  I'm not sure yet of the details but there are a lot of options in the area for building a home.  We may move.  I'm 67 now though and all that work is scary to say the least.  I think I may have one more house in me but the hangar building and concrete I'll have to hire out.  Like some of you I spent a lifetime in construction.  We'll see.  

Hey Mark.  Photos of the finished project with airplanes inside?  

Photos when it is done for sure!  This hangar will be the project/shop hangar, my existing hangar attached to the house is where the flyable planes live.   I was going to do it the other way, but decided that paint fumes would be better in the hangar not attached to the house.

The new one is 50 x 50 with 18 ft high side walls.  The walls are so tall because I want to put my 5th wheel in it, which is 13.5 ft.  Long story, but to get a 14 ft clear opening, the easiest/cheapest way is a 16ft tall door, which requires 18ft sidewalls.  The building itself cost about $26,000 delivered to Florida from Houston.  That included 2 walk doors, and the insulation package.  I bought it from a company called DuroBeam ( http://www.durobuildings.com/i-beam_style_buildings.htm ).  So far there hasn't been any big problems.  I discovered one of the columns was missing last weekend, and they called earlier and said it would be delivered by next Wednesday, so customer service appears to be good.  I called them a few weeks ago with some questions that weren't clear on the plans, and they called back with answers the same day.

The door was about $13,000 delivered to Florida from Minnesota.  It is 16'x45', from http://www.hpdoors.com   I like that it is a full open door, but doesn't put any load on the building like the 'swing out' hydraulic doors.  If I lived where it snowed a lot, I would like that 1st foot vertical rise/fall so it wouldn't be blocked by snow/ice as easily.

Our EAA chapter is also building a hangar.  They went with a 14'x40' hydroswing (swings out), and it cost about the same.  That one included installation though, and mine I have to install myself.

Concrete and fill I don't want to talk about :(.  That could vary widely depending on where you are, the soil types, etc.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

It's been a while since I updated this.  Mother Nature has not been kind.  Florida is having a record rainfall year.  It was in a record drought until the day my permit was issued, so you figure who gets the blame/credit!

All the red iron is up.  Still have to do the cable braces in the back section, but a big milestone in my mind.  We only had the top of the doorway opening yesterday.  It took three sessions to get it done.  Got the stub columns and the 1st section up, thunderstorm arrived.  That passed, sun is shining, got the next section up, started the last section, didn't fit.  thunderstorm arrived.  That passed, sun is shining, went back to measure everything to see why the last piece didn't fit.  I measured, and the 3 pieces plus their connecting bits were 45' 1".  Should be 45' even.  Drilled new holes in the last piece and got it up.  I suspect it was made wrong, it was labelled different than the other two, but was exactly the same in every dimension.  In any case, it is all up.  Now we're going around and making sure all the bolts are tight to spec (turn of the nut, yucky), and everything is plumb and square before we put the cable braces on, and then install the door.

Siding is going to be a b*tch.  I bought the insulation package, which sandwiches between the siding and the steel frame.  That is good, but it also means I need a long dry spell to get it all up and not be soaked through....  Not a good thing to need in Florida this year.

20170814_134527_small.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Just took a look at that door, that looks like a nice door!

Posted

What's the snow load rating on that roof?  ;-)  Glad you are making progress.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

What's the snow load rating on that roof?  ;-)  Glad you are making progress.  JImChuk

-1" I believe.  I'm pretty sure if it is below freezing for more than 6 hours, the frost load will bring it down!

Wind, however, it will stand up to quite nicely.  Florida is not the same as Minnesota.  Everything is supposedly engineered for 120mph winds.  If we ever see 120mph winds where I am in Florida, the rest of the state will be wiped clean!

Mark

Posted

I'm pretty sure at this point the deity of your choice doesn't want me to finish this hangar.  We had record rains all summer which kept me from making much progress, although we did manage to get all the framework up.  Siding and roofing has to wait for a dry spell that I have time to work on it since I have the fiberglass insulation package that goes between the siding/roofing and the frame.  I was out of town most of the fall due to a big project, so of course it was sunny and dry for the most part.  Now I'm back, and we are once again wet, with record cold for Florida thrown in for extra fun.  We got on wall of siding put up, and the top trim on so it is mostly weather tight on that side last week, and so this week we have an ICE STORM, in FLORIDA.  WTF????

Mark

Posted

Maybe it's time to buy orange juice futures?

Posted

Some progress pictures.  Got the doors up, locked them so now I feel much more secure :P

20180108_164703_small.jpg

20180108_164817_small.jpg

20180108_164906_small.jpg

20180108_164931_small.jpg

Posted

Insulation?  (to keep it cool)

Posted

Insulation?  (to keep it cool)

Yep, R10 between the skin and frame.  Mainly to keep the air conditioning in, but this last week it would have needed to keep the heat in!  We had ice last week, first time in like 30 years.  But it is going to be 70 tomorrow. 

The insulation is why it is taking so long.  I need a dry weekend to get one wall up.  If I can’t complete the wall I can’t start it, since the fiberglass would still be exposed and ruined if it rained.

Posted

More progress, all the walls are up, now for the roof.  That is going to be a b*tch, trying to figure out how to get 25' long pieces of metal up on top of the 18' tall walls without getting anyone hurt.  The insulation that goes under the steel but above the purlins means we can't reach panels from below for the most part - the insulation is 6' wide, so it would be tough to reach from the sides.  We'll figure it out, it can be done.

It is looking like a hangar now, just has a great big skylight at the moment!

20180121_152509_small.jpg

20180121_152525_small.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Bi Fold door or one big hydraulic one?