Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finally starting new hangar!

32 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

You're lucky you live in Florida, Mark.

If we pour the apron separate from the floor around here the frost will heave it up and jam the door the first winter!  Good looking mud-job, though!

I lived in Illinois for years, I know exactly what you are describing.  No frost here though!  They did carry through all the rebar from the main pour about 2 feet into the apron pour area, then tied the apron pour rebar to those extensions, so the 2 are tied together pretty well.  No mesh anywhere in the slabs, all 1/2" rebar, properly up on chairs, not 'pulled up' during the pour.

Ed - I don't want to talk about how much this is costing anymore! :o  Just the fill has cost almost as much as your footings and foundation....

Mark

Posted · Report post

If we pour the apron separate from the floor around here the frost will heave it up and jam the door the first winter!  Good looking mud-job, though!

Even that wouldn't jam the door I got.  It goes straight up and down 1 foot closest to the ground:

www.hpdoors.com

Posted · Report post

My hangar neighbor carried the rebar through too.  The frost snapped off that 3/4" rebar like it was toothpicks. 

Freezing water is one of the strongest forces in nature. 

Posted · Report post

My hangar neighbor carried the rebar through too.  The frost snapped off that 3/4" rebar like it was toothpicks. 

Freezing water is one of the strongest forces in nature. 

Ground never freezes down there - just sinks into a hole in the old ocean floor!   EDMO

Posted (edited) · Report post

I lived in Illinois for years, I know exactly what you are describing.  No frost here though!  They did carry through all the rebar from the main pour about 2 feet into the apron pour area, then tied the apron pour rebar to those extensions, so the 2 are tied together pretty well.  No mesh anywhere in the slabs, all 1/2" rebar, properly up on chairs, not 'pulled up' during the pour.

Ed - I don't want to talk about how much this is costing anymore! :o  Just the fill has cost almost as much as your footings and foundation....

Mark

Well, you have 5x the SF as mine - should cost a dollar or two more.  ;<)  Mine was on old fill dirt on side of hill - I had buried my 4x4 truck up to the frame there when I was moving into the house - and the inspector said they had to go down into the original clay, so that's why it went about 8 or 10 feet deep at deepest edge.  I think our "frost depth for construction" is about 3 feet down, but it never freezes anywhere near that deep.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted · Report post

Mother nature is taking some pity on me this week.  We are getting some badly needed rain - 4 inches over the last 2 days so far.  It makes staring at the poured concrete easier while I wait the 2 weeks for it to cure enough to put a forklift on.

Mark

Posted · Report post

And another 4 loads of fill to feather out the area in front of the apron so it looks less like a cliff diving location...... :P

Mark