Finally starting new hangar!

126 posts in this topic

Posted

If this is the only time you'll need a portable band saw, you could rent one for about $20/day. Seems like it would be worth the $$.

Posted

Spent several hours Sunday trying to get the door up.  Not the most fun I ever had, 16' x 45' x 4,000lbs of steel balanced on a reach forklift trying to fit it in place with what should be 1/4" clearance on either side.  Failed, it wouldn't fit, it was too wide.

I was pretty bummed, thought I must have messed up a measurement setting the columns, and had no idea how I would fix that.  After we got the door safely back on the ground, which was almost as difficult as getting it up in the first place, I started measuring things to see what I had messed up.

Turns out I didn't mess up after all.  After I measured the door, the pivot pin tube protrusions on the door and on the columns, the total width of the door was 45' 5/8"  The door opening is 44' 11 3/4" (have a +- 1/2", so within specs).  So I called the manufacturer Monday to see WTF was wrong.  The tube protrusions on each side of the door are supposed to be 1", they were 1 1/2" on one side, 1 5/8" on the other.  Combine that with the 1/4" narrow on the opening, and bingo, it is about 1" too wide.  Apparently the welder that put the tubes in the side supports didn't feel like measuring that day.

The manufacturer said I could cut the tube protrusion back to 1" on each side, which I'll do.  I'll also have to cut the pivot pins down also, probably 1/2" each, since the tubes are sized so the retention bolt keeps the pin in place - shorten the tube, shorten the pin.  The tubes won't be a big deal, the wall thickness is 3/16" at the most, but the pins are 2 1/2 or 3" solid steel.

I didn't use an bad words or yell at them, sh*t happens, and it is fixable.  However, I'll have to see what they'll offer me at Sun & Fun to keep quiet... :lmao: If I can get the 1/2" off each pin in one piece, I'll have see if I can make an appropriate medal they can present to the welder.

That !@#$% door is going up this Saturday!

Mark

They probably knew you wouldn't have enough room in this building and thought you could use this door for the next one.

Posted

From what I've read, the Harbor Freight one works well, just buy a Milwaukee blade to put on it.  But I probably don't need it.  I have an angle grinder to cut the tubes - that's what the manufacturer uses.  If I have to cut the pins, I have a metal band saw, the kind on a stand you just sit and wait for it to gnaw it's way through, then shuts itself off.  Probably better buy another blade or two though.  In fact, looking at it, I'd probably rather make  a spacer to extend the inside of the 'keeper' than cut the pin.  I have some 1/4 steel that will work perfect for that.

Mark

Posted

Spent several hours Sunday trying to get the door up.  Not the most fun I ever had, 16' x 45' x 4,000lbs of steel balanced on a reach forklift trying to fit it in place with what should be 1/4" clearance on either side.  Failed, it wouldn't fit, it was too wide.

I was pretty bummed, thought I must have messed up a measurement setting the columns, and had no idea how I would fix that.  After we got the door safely back on the ground, which was almost as difficult as getting it up in the first place, I started measuring things to see what I had messed up.

Turns out I didn't mess up after all.  After I measured the door, the pivot pin tube protrusions on the door and on the columns, the total width of the door was 45' 5/8"  The door opening is 44' 11 3/4" (have a +- 1/2", so within specs).  So I called the manufacturer Monday to see WTF was wrong.  The tube protrusions on each side of the door are supposed to be 1", they were 1 1/2" on one side, 1 5/8" on the other.  Combine that with the 1/4" narrow on the opening, and bingo, it is about 1" too wide.  Apparently the welder that put the tubes in the side supports didn't feel like measuring that day.

The manufacturer said I could cut the tube protrusion back to 1" on each side, which I'll do.  I'll also have to cut the pivot pins down also, probably 1/2" each, since the tubes are sized so the retention bolt keeps the pin in place - shorten the tube, shorten the pin.  The tubes won't be a big deal, the wall thickness is 3/16" at the most, but the pins are 2 1/2 or 3" solid steel.

I didn't use an bad words or yell at them, sh*t happens, and it is fixable.  However, I'll have to see what they'll offer me at Sun & Fun to keep quiet... :lmao: If I can get the 1/2" off each pin in one piece, I'll have see if I can make an appropriate medal they can present to the welder.

That !@#$% door is going up this Saturday!

Mark

They probably knew you wouldn't have enough room in this building and thought you could use this door for the next one.

How thoughtful of them!

1 person likes this

Posted

Door is up and secured.  A few more issues to fix that cascaded from the pivot tube issue, but worked through them all and got it up.  Amazing how much easier it was when it actually fit.  It took us 30 minutes after we had all the fixes done to get it lifted and the pins in.  Another 30 minutes and the top rollers were done.  Of course the fixes took most of the day, so once it was up, we were done for for the day.

That was yesterday.  Today we ran all the hydraulic lines across the top, which was tricky since there isn't a lot of room above the door, and since it is a metal building, we had to fabricate mounts to  secure them too.  But all that is done, and the next task is to put the hydraulic pumps in place, hook up the wiring, bleed the system, and then see if it goes up!

The forklift can go live back at Sunbelt rentals yard, and my credit card will be much happier next month!  

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

An update to make sure no one thinks badly of the company (Higher Power Doors).  Yesterday they asked me to send them an invoice for my time and any materials to fix the issues.  I wasn't too concerned about it, and told them so, but did mention that the extra week of delay triggered another month of forklift rental.  They said to include that also.

I'm not really comfortable with that, there have been many delays in this project that were my own darn fault, so it doesn't seem right to stick them with the bill for this one.  It is a class act for them to do this however, and wanted to make sure everyone knew they were standing behind their product.

My wife and I talked it over last night, and decided I would send the invoice as requested, but have them send whatever amount they felt fair on the invoice to Wings of Hope as a donation.  Feels more right to me.

Mark

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Mark,  Thanks for the update on the honesty of the company - Hope you had enough money left to put some door photos on here.  Congrats on the completion.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

As soon as it goes up and down, I'll be posting pictures and a video!

Posted

It's alive!  It goes up, and it goes down!!!  Woo Hoo.  Some adjusting to do, but not as much as I feared.  I'll upload videos to youtube and post the links here!

Mark

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Here is a link.  Ignore the bad sounds - the top is catching the trim around the opening, have to work on that this weekend.  Also, this is operating on backup battery power, no power to the building yet.   The 'up' speed is about 1/2 what it will be on line power.  I got 3 'up' cycles on the batteries, when I plugged in the charger it reported the batteries were at 25%.  Two group 24 deep cycles in parallel.

Mark

Edited by marksires
2 people like this

Posted

Those doors are awesome!!  Congratulations!

Posted

Progress continues.  Like building an airplane, 80% done, 80% to go.....

The !@#%^^ firewall was approved today!  Now I can frame out the bathroom, get the plumbers in, and then only electric remains.  I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, I hope it isn't a train!

One thing the firewall does is emphasize how tall this hangar is.  Looks like the great wall of China (or maybe Trumps border wall).

Mark

20180816_104052_small.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Makes a 4X8' piece of drywall look mighty small!

Posted

Especially since those are 4x12 pieces on the wall. :o

Posted

Do you have a second story in the apartment in the back, or a real tall airplane?  Oh, and one other difference, your wall is up.....  Looking good!  I love the smell of sheet rock in the morning.... :-)  JImChuk

Posted

Especially since those are 4x12 pieces on the wall. :o

I should have figured that out due to proportions! At any rate, awesome build you have going on. It's been a fun thread to follow.

Posted

Do you have a second story in the apartment in the back, or a real tall airplane?  Oh, and one other difference, your wall is up.....  Looking good!  I love the smell of sheet rock in the morning.... :-)  JImChuk

No apartment, but I am going to make that part 2 stories, with the second story all storage. If I ever need it I could finish it out for an apartment I guess.

I love the smell of sheetrock in the morning as long as someone else is doing it!  I hired a guy to hang and finish it.  I really really really dislike doing drywall, especially the finishing.  This guy barely needed to sand it when he was done.  When I do it, it looks like a two year old threw some mud on the wall and then used it for fingerpainting.

I wonder how many Avid project planes will fit up there??? Hmmmmm

Posted

Final inspection today - Passed!!!  I have my Certificate of Completion printed, so I can hang it on the wall!

Hooray - 1.5 years in the making, but since I worked only weekends, and we've had record rainfall in Florida since I started this project (this month we normally have 3", we've had 9" so far) so I missed a lot of weekends before the roof was on, I don't think that is too bad.  Did it all (my son and one other person helped) except the concrete and the drywall.

Place is a mess at the moment, now that is done I can concentrate on cleaning it up and organizing.....  I'll take pictures when it is presentable.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Do you plan on painting it? My plan was to polish then epoxy paint. The FBO I use to work for was painted. You spill some oil and you mop it up. It sure was easy to clean!

Why termite protection? The structure is all steel, right?

I also found out that termite treatment is required in Florida for all structures, regardless of construction type.  We have nasty termites here, and they will find any cellulose in a building,whether structure or just a cardboard box on the floor.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome door!!! How much do they run? what company made it where r they located? 

That same door would fit great in my shop 50'x120' with 25' ceiling

Posted

Found the info in ur writeup, good price i say for the door and the one foot open/close area is sweet for winter flyin, less work to get plane to snow with skis. Hahahahaa

2 people like this

Posted

Buckchop,

The door is great, and with this kind, you wouldn't have to reengineer the building, since it doesn't put any load on it opening.  It is also very nice to not have any locks or latches to worry about.  The catches are at the bottom, and engage during that last 1 foot.  If anyone can lift the 4000lb door up to disengage them, they are welcome to anything in that hangar!  :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Found the info in ur writeup, good price i say for the door and the one foot open/close area is sweet for winter flyin, less work to get plane to snow with skis. Hahahahaa

I think it will still be a lot of work for Mark to get his plane to snow with skis on.  ; >)

2 people like this

Posted

Mmm well u r right on that, but hey if needed id trade him states for a month or so, i know my wife not complain about that but she would b wantin me to drop her in Opp, Alabama where her Mom lives. Hahahaaaaa course id rather b in Colfax Louisianna where my folks r at.  But Florida b close enough. Hahahahahahaaaa :lmao:

Posted

Mmm well u r right on that, but hey if needed id trade him states for a month or so, i know my wife not complain about that but she would b wantin me to drop her in Opp, Alabama where her Mom lives. Hahahaaaaa course id rather b in Colfax Louisianna where my folks r at.  But Florida b close enough. Hahahahahahaaaa :lmao:

How many truck loads would that be if you were to move? Ha.