Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Jabiru runs

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I fired up the old Jabiru today after about 5 1/2 years.  I had Jabiru USA go through it a few years ago and it's been waiting for me to get the Avid MK IV back in shape to hang it on the front.  I wanted to make sure my wiring was ok before I got things to covered up with glare shield and windshield and such.  Good thing, I had to make a few changes already.  Still have to program the MGL E1 engine monitor.  Getting readings, but they don't seem right.  I feel good hearing the engine though.  It's not as quiet as the video shows though ;-)  Don't know what happened to the sound.  Ran nice and smooth.  I had pulled it through with the choke on about 8 blades, and when I hit the starter, it was running in about 1 revolution.  Anyway, I'm happy.  JImChuk

4 people like this

Posted

Very cool Jim

Posted

Well I was going to up date the I've got it covered thread, but this one popped up instead.  I'll up date it then.  Well the Jabiru runs IN THE AIR as well.  Did the first flights tonight.  First time she flew in 6 years.  Still a bit of tweaking but nothing major.  Bit heavy on the left wing, (maybe the lard butt in the left seat ;-)  I had my go pro running, eventually I'll get videos up. Seems like it's a good bit faster than it used to be. At 2850 RPM I averaged both ways with the GPS 95 MPH.  Not sure what it will run up to  for full throttle redline, but it's faster than it used to be.  Different prop though.  66" 2 blade warp taper tip.  100 MPH was about topped out before.  More streamlining now though also. Well I'm pumped.  Plenty of adrenalin surging still.  Test flights are always interesting.  Nice that the pilot and plane are still able to go tomorrow! :-)   JImChuk

4 people like this

Posted

Sure have had some beautiful flying weather around here!   Glad ya got up and took advantage of it!

Posted

Ya, it was smooth as glass tonight when I went up.  I figure it's best to have everything in your favor on the first flights.  Not telling for sure what is going to happen.  :-)  Next few days are supposed to be light winds as well.  How is your project coming?  JImChuk