Cooling system design

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Refer to the attached image.

The 532 to 582 saga continues.  My cooling system for the 532 did not look like this.  The coolant expansion tank connects between point 4 and the radiator instead of point 7 and the radiator.  First of all does anyone see any issue with this implementation?  I really don't want to have to rebuild a cooling system for it.  Second of all, with the coolant expansion tank being directly connected to the water pump housing and the line to the overflow tank being above the water pump (it is the highest point in the system) do I even need to install a vent line from the water pump?  The 532 did not have one.

TIA

Cooling.png

Posted

I think the only reason for the expansion being show how it is in the pictures is the way they draw the radiator.  Better to have the expansion tank above the high point of the radiator to get the air out.  Same thing applies with the vent from the water pump to the expansion tank.  It helps to get the air out of the engine so you don't have steam pockets develop.  On the MK IV, the expansion tank ends up between the two radiators.  But that makes it the high point so air can come out.  JImChuk

New Avid 011.jpg

Posted

JimChuck, You are always showing me pictures of stuff I need that has nothing to do with the question.  I was rough fitting everything today and found that the front carb air filter is too wide for the cowling by .5 inch.  How far out from the carb face does that air filter stick out from the face of the carb?  Directly out from the front carb I have about 3.5 inches to the cowl.  What is the part #?

Thanks

Posted

JimChuck, You are always showing me pictures of stuff I need that has nothing to do with the question.  I was rough fitting everything today and found that the front carb air filter is too wide for the cowling by .5 inch.  How far out from the carb face does that air filter stick out from the face of the carb?  Directly out from the front carb I have about 3.5 inches to the cowl.  What is the part #?

Thanks

I may possibly have one of those filters that was on my 532?  Will check tomorrow if you need one.   EDMO

Posted

I was just trying to show you that all that matters is that the expansion tank be higher than the radiator and that it didn't matter on what side of the radiator it was.  Sorry that I wasn't able to help.  I will keep my thoughts to myself in the future.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was just trying to show you that all that matters is that the expansion tank be higher than the radiator and that it didn't matter on what side of the radiator it was.  Sorry that I wasn't able to help.  I will keep my thoughts to myself in the future.  JImChuk

Jim, I think he was jokingly giving you a good comment.  Sorry if you misunderstood his humor.  I thought it was fine.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I actually need an air filter like that if it will fit inside my cowling. 

No slight was intended though... The joke about it was, I think we were talking about oil reservoirs and your picture showed a coolant overflow bottle that I needed... And still need by the way... Have been looking at squeeze bottles, as you suggested... But no luck so far. 

Posted

Well If you are right Ed, then I will gladly say I'm sorry for seeing things the wrong way and my comment reflecting that.  Now that I read your comment, I maybe see what you mean.  That is one of the problems with computers that probably doesn't show up in face to face conversations.  When you are talking, it's easy to say "what do you mean by that" and get an immediate answer and it becomes clear. Not always that way on the PC.  I always try to put a :-) in if I'm kidding, just so the other people know I was kidding.  JImChuk

Posted

I actually need an air filter like that if it will fit inside my cowling. 

No slight was intended though... The joke about it was, I think we were talking about oil reservoirs and your picture showed a coolant overflow bottle that I needed... And still need by the way... Have been looking at squeeze bottles, as you suggested... But no luck so far. 

The title of the discussion was  Cooling System Design.  That and your questions about it was what I was referring to.  JImChuk

Posted

It was a compliment your plane seems to have a number of things on it that I have been searching for... Each time I see a different angle... I seem to see something that I have had trouble locating 

Posted (edited)

I don't remember selling my air filter when I sold my carbs, but my memory has started to be sometimes missing - I will check tomorrow.

Jim, My ;<) smiley nose is bigger than your :-) smiley nose - guess that's because I cant keep mine out of others comments!

Cheers,  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My 532 had the same K&N filters as the 582 came with.  The 582 has the oil injection pump and intake on it, which is what I believe pushed it over the limit.  I had to take the front carb filter off to get the cowling to mount back on.

I am thinking about ordering #6 here: https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/rotax-air-filters.html

Just want to get some measurements tomorrow to make sure that it will fit.

Posted (edited)

This one seems to be a bit better price.  If you do ebay.   The CPS catalog says it's the same as the SP 2703 but with a chrome cover.  Leslie,  I reread your posts this morning and got what you were trying to say.  Sorry I blew up.  JImChuk

PS  I measured the one I show in the picture, and it is 8 1/2" long, 3 3/4" wide and 3" tall.  (that would be with it laying on it's back chrome cover)  If you measure from the end of the carb, it would stick out about 2 1/4" further

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-K-N-RC-2820-High-Performance-Universal-Clamp-on-Chrome-Air-Filter-/381085304378?hash=item58ba74463a:g:0OMAAOSw2XFUiM6b&vxp=mtr

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

No biggie, that is the one that I have been looking at....of course I am also considering cutting one of the singles down a bit to "make it" fit.