Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stratus 2000 prop redrive

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there a maintenance manual available for the Stratus 2000 redrive. I need to remove and reinstall mine and would prefer to have a manual to refer to. It is installed on a Subaru EA-81.

Thanks

20160319_100302.jpg

Posted (edited)

You have the original Stratus redrive - I don't think it is a 2000, but could be an early one - Hoffman sold the business long ago and the new owner is also out of business.  The later 2000 redrives had a lighter casting which I think partly covered the belt.  You might get lucky and find some original instructions.   Suberavid has 400 or more hours on his Stratus EA81, so you might see if he has any instructions on the belt drive.   I have Dave Johnson redrive and instructions which could be similar. 

If you find factory instructions for the Stratus redrive, please post them in Files and Forms, as others on here have the same redrive.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

EDMO

Are the instructions for your Dave Johnson redrive posted in the Files and Forms?

I'll keep looking for the Stratus instructions and will post if I come up with them.

thanks,

Posted

EDMO

Are the instructions for your Dave Johnson redrive posted in the Files and Forms?

I'll keep looking for the Stratus instructions and will post if I come up with them.

thanks,

No - I haven't scanned them because nobody has ever asked about them.   EDMO

Posted

Ok. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Posted

Hi EDMO,

I have recently purchased a 601HD that has one of Dave's reduction drives on it. I have been trying to find a manual for it for a while now. Lots and lots of pictures and comments about it on the interweb but no instructions or manuals. So please consider me as one person who would be asking about what you have for instructions.

thanks in advance for any info you can provide,

Kerry

Posted (edited)

Kerry,  Send a message to me on this site and give me your address.  I will copy what I have and mail it to you.  May take a few days to find it.   One caution sent to me from the prior owner of my engine was not to run it over 5000 rpm cruise.   I think he said he turned 4200 static with 72" Warp Drive prop.   Dave Johnson's redrives on the EA81 are typically 1.84:1 reduction.  I don't remember the length of the belt, but sure I have it - they are shorter than the Stratus belts.  I talked to Dave Johnson before he died, and have a VCR tape of him running the Soob and also a Geo engine.  He cautioned to remove the prop and set a fan in front of the radiator if you need to adjust the belt because it is too dangerous to be that close to the prop.  I believe I have info on repacking the bearings on the redrive too.  My flying buddy just told me about a 601 arriving at Sullivan Airport in Missouri - Would that be yours?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Not me Ed, as I am up in Canada. Thanks for the advice on RPM's. Looking forward to any info you can send me.

Blue Skies,

Kerry