I'm Scared!

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Greetings, new guy here.  I've never been very active on forums, but hope to be here because I know I will need a lot of help.  Eventually, I hope to be able to return the favor by contributing content or services after I get up to speed.  I have some ideas for that I will share later...

Just picked up an Avid from Idaho and I'm afraid of what I got myself into!  Not completely though, I like projects and know to expect more work than I expect.  Avid factory serial #762 comes with a Subaru engine installed, another spare Subaru engine, a trailer, three build manuals, and crappy maintenance records:

IMG_20170501_160808.thumb.jpg.3a44f61717

After a long, slow, nervous drive back to Utah, it is now here in my garage.  I plan to replace fuel lines, and start to work with local knowledgeable experimental builders/mechanics to help convince me it is airworthy and safe before trying to fly it.  I will also need taildragger instruction, and am aware of the ground-handling reputation of this standard gear, so wider gear will be at the top of the list.

To start with a first question, What do yall think about this cut frame tube?  Looks like this was done to give clearance for the brake cylinder linkage.  It is in taildragger configuration, so hopefully those lower arms from the engine mount don't have frame structure tubes transferring force rearward through the nose gear large tube, like the upper ones do?

DSC02870.thumb.JPG.10fe8069a1594e1998c75

Thanks!
Neil

Posted (edited)

Neil,

I am not an Avid owner, so mostly know about the early Kitfoxes.   The early Kitfoxes 1 - 4 did not have the nosegear option, so they have none of that bracing from the firewall and fly just fine.  I think it is just to brace the nosegear tube.  If a nosegear is ever added, this tube should be rewelded or replaced.   I have added similar bracing to my Kitfox clone to make it a nosedragger. 

Perhaps if the builder would have used the Matco MC4 brake cylinder instead of the fatter MC1 or MC5 cylinder then clearance might not have been a problem?   Maybe an Avid MkIV owner will give you their opinion on this? 

BTW:  Congratulations on becoming an Avid owner.  Did John Larson have something to do with building that plane?

Welcome to the forum.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Looks like you have a great start there, The broke or bent tube I would never do it my self but thats just me, I would be going through that thing with a fine tooth comb, how many hours are on the plane, that is the real answer to weather it is safe or not, either way congrats on the Avid get it the way you want it and you'll be just fine,

Posted (edited)

Looks like that tube was cut on purpose and bent to get it out of the way for the large MC - not broke or bent in a crash.

What do the logbooks show about it, or what kind of flying has the plane done recently?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

thats an all new red neck fix to just cut the tube and bend it over instead of removing it all together.  Looks like a great place to cut the shit out of your shoe or to get caught up on when your feet slip over just a bit.  I would get it completely out of the way.. along with the rest of the nose gear set up if you plan on keeping it a TD.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

If he used that level of lack of attention to detail on the entire build I'd be scared too. Congrats on the purchase hopefully it'll come together  pretty quickly. Ask questions. There is tons of info here. 

1 person likes this

Posted

My mkIV is a nose dragger with all the tubes connected . My master cylinders are on top not next to my rudder pedal like that . 

Posted

My mkIV is a nose dragger with all the tubes connected . My master cylinders are on top not next to my rudder pedal like that . 

Maybe a photo would help?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

I found a picture it doesn't show much but my master cylinders are smaller it looks like

20150606_125246.jpg

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

I appreciate the feedback and response.  Again, crappy records, but the Hobbes shows less than 100hr since new.  Verbally, but not documented, it has been through some rough times. Including a hard landing that bent the tail spring and bottom of rudder.  And a groundloop that required wingtip repairs..  I believe original build was as a nosewheel from purchase document and this receipt for tail wheel assembly.

taildrag_reciept_2.thumb.jpg.6135e1b1bad

Posted

Congratulations on your new airplane! I am still in the looking phase, can I ask how much you paid for it? I have missed out on a couple of projects so maybe I am not realistic on what I think I should pay for one. Thanks. Mike