Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Slipping?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

another question...

I decided to try slipping the Magnum to loose some altitude.  I had the left wing low, pushing the stick forward and left, then pushed in right rudder. To my surprise the airplane began not just doing a slip, but the nose of the plane kept turning right to the point that I was looking down the wing at the point I was headed toward...probably turned 70-80 degrees to my flight path!  It felt like it would have gone further!

I have never experienced that in an airplane before...most of the time you cram as  much rudder in as possible.

Is this normal for Avids?

Thanks,

Ron

Posted (edited)

you gotta play with the inputs.  you can slip these birds so hard they have the flight characteristics of a greased anvil.  Yes, lots of power on the rudder is the norm with these birds.  As in, a little rudder will go a long ways.

Edited by akflyer

Posted

you gotta play with the inputs.  you can slip these birds so hard they have the flight characteristics of a greased anvil.  Yes, lots of power on the rudder is the norm with these birds.  As in, a little rudder will go a long ways.

Definitely fun to slip once you figure out the rudder input. If I barely kick mine to the side and drop the wing it starts sinking fast.

Posted

I thought I was gonna fall out one time!! 

Posted

Haha my daughter experienced her door opening going from base to final . Plane didn't have struts in the door when I got it . That on top of a tab a tad to high to get a solid bite on the door latch made the door pop open . I threw it into a slip and slammed the door . Needless to say 50 lb gas struts and the tab taken care of means no sudden slips . She was scared for a second but I kept my cool so she realised no big deal she was buckled in anyway. Having the giant tail and rudder definitely helps . 

Posted

Nice job! I know a guy who almost killed him self after stall spinning turning base to final. His passenger side door popped open and he got slow while messing with the door rather than just flying the airplane. 

Posted

Thanks , The last thing I'm going to get scared about is my door opening. I've flown plenty of aircraft doors off so it wasn't a big deal . I took a photographer up to shoot someones business from the air . Doors off in a Kolb ss ? The one that actually looks like a plane . Crazy ass photographer was hanging out the door while we were sideways so he could get the perfect shot . I was always taught to fly the plane first then diagnose the problem . Can't pull over in the sky !!!!

Posted

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better...I have been trying to wake my feet up again, I spent too much time flying things that didn't require much foot work.

I feel like you push the pedal, there is a hesitation and then it moves the tail...at slow speeds...

Thanks,

Ron