Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying 40 hours off in a 50nm radius

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Well 40 hours is more than I usually fly in a year, so I have just about worn all of the site seeing out!  However, I have some good pics!

IMG_2080.thumb.JPG.92691a75fbdcbe149bdcfA buddy made this Stainless steel sign for me!

IMG_2010.thumb.JPG.3800f57d9838cfe91deeeThe Spanish Peaks near Walsenburg CO

IMG_2016.thumb.JPG.59dc319fe7d0e170d00ccRock ridge running up the Spanish Peaks, 50'-100' tall in places

IMG_2020.thumb.JPG.1bf274443e142c5757ba1small ski resort...

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.dd44848d6c6c84a457b86Surprisingly all of the avionics work great, except my Radio which you can barely receive on...using a handheld for now.

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.391f89f307051b6d72bc6I love flying through this canyon on the cucharas river.  There is an Air Force wreck on one of the ridges.

IMG_2043.thumb.JPG.b3412e875a5de40c16265Great sunset at Walsenburg!

IMG_2050.thumb.JPG.d0ce52fb94bfb58591d29The entrance of the Royal Gorge.  If you zoom in you can kind of see the bridge across it.  The bridge is 1000' above the river below...a must see!

IMG_2051.thumb.JPG.f4de427db0451c97e5b9eIn the far background is Pikes Peak!

IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.ad52a2f1c9e7afc25133fI don't know if it is possible to zoom in on this one, but it is a picture of a Chemical Weapons storage base outside of Pueblo.

IMG_2070.thumb.JPG.0306d0ba07dd6ad7bc16eThis is really cool!  See the triangle in the bottom right?  It is a WWII Auxiliary Training Airfield for B-25s and B-24s South of Lake Meredith, CO

IMG_2072.thumb.JPG.0b83d1da36379fa1fda0bTaking a lower look...Farm equipment on each leg of it and some large wooden posts driven on the ends of each runway, but concrete is still there...6000' long legs!!!

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.950e4b17bcd503f637d9cWhat it looked like in 1945...It had a control tower and maintenance shed in the middle, they are gone now.

Well, it is a lot of fun!  I'm still working out numbers for you guys...I keep adjusting things and it changes everything.

See ya,

Ron

3 people like this

Posted

Very cool airplane! Love the pics, thanks. Mike

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Typical Triangle for WW2 bases - I know where more are - Some are now civilian airports - Great photos Ron.  EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

What is that you're using for your EFIS and nav displays?  

Posted

I'm using an iLevil 2AW hardwired to the GRT-4000 and pitot static input lines.  The iLevil 2AW sets up a wifi network and broadcasts all of the info to the iPads wirelessly (actually it can broadcast it to up to as many as 11 devices.)

I'm running the iLevil AHRS app on the pilot side and WingX Pro 7 on the copilot side.

It is pretty slick...the only challenges I've had have been alarm thresholds on the GRT 4000 being set incorrectly, by myself...go figure, and I had alarm bells and lights flashing the whole first couple of flights.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Ron,

first of all: congrats for your Magnum finally flying! I was following your threads for some weeks now, and it seems, it's not long ago, since you started flying it. The area you are living in is gorgeous. Super aerial pictures!

Here's my question to you: Just recently I bought a Magnum. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to spend the time for building it myself, so someone else did that years ago before it was sitting another couple of years. It seems "my" builder hadn't paid attention into every little detail. Now I find myself confronted with the question about the deflection of the ailerons. If I recall another thread correctly, you have your ailerons deflecting another 20 degrees in addition to the 15 degrees of the flaps (I know, we're talking about flaperons, but for better distinction, I distinguish between aileron and flaps, meaning the deflection). Do I remember that right? Or did you make adjustments?

Are you comfortable with your settings? How sensitive is your bird on the ailerons?

Have a good night,

Thomas

Posted (edited)

Thomas,

Great to have another Magnum owner on here!

First, I'll try to explain what I have figured out on the flapperons before we talk numbers...The flatter the flaperron the slower, and more resistance you get on the control stick.  The more flaps you add, the less resistance and lower pressure on the stick.  That is all in general, speed being increased effects stick pressure too.

Joey explained to me that you Cruise with the negative setting, then when you want to drop in somewhere and maneuver you add Flap in...

So now that I confused you, now I'll blow your mind with the numbers.

Degrees

-2     Cruise position

0.0    No Flap

7.5    Half Flap (Take off & Landing)

15.0  Full Flap (Very Slow flight & short field landing)

I originally had -3 set in the Cruise position, but it made the controls really difficult to move and wanted to roll right only.  So, I decreased to -2 degrees. This is all done from wings level measured/leveled from the 4th rib.

It is easier to takeoff with half Flap.  No flap takes longer to get airborne and stick forces are higher.  Don't take off with -2, it is just weird!

Landing with full Flap is something I'm still figuring out...It feels like the tail stops flying and the wing keeps flying and you get into a weird tail low, tail wag at really low speeds.  Could have been pilot induced, so I need to experiment more at altitude.  The neat thing is doing power off stalls with full flaps, the plane will drop it's nose straight and to the horizon, you neutralize the stick and you are flying again, without adding power!

Ok, I can't remember what I posted for Flap & aileron deflection #s, but aileron range of deflection is the same in all Flap settings...for example, if the flap is set at 0 degrees let's say you get 12 degrees down aileron and 10 degrees up aileron (I made those #s up) They will deflect the same amount added or subtracted from the flap setting.  So at 15 degrees of flap the aileron input will add 12 down to one side and add 10 up on the other...same amount of aileron travel in all Flap positions.

If you haven't made a way to lock the flap handle in position, you will want to.  I made a flap handle holder out of nylon block, actually a plastic cutting board from Safeway.  I'll post a pic, but there are several ways to skin that cat...

I'll pm my email address and if this isn't making sense we can talk there.

Glad to have you on here!  Post a pic in the Magnum section if you get time...

Ron

IMG_1597.thumb.JPG.0f0466a54ac11cfe6480eThis is actually the first flap handle holder I made.  That is carbon fiber vinyl on top of the nylon block.

I'll try to take pics of the second version next time I'm out there.

IMG_1601.thumb.JPG.d147c82e5283c9cb1c804

Edited by RDavidson