Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cg formula

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, 

Can anyone provide me the formula for calculating the Cg on the Avid taildragger?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Hello, 

Can anyone provide me the formula for calculating the Cg on the Avid taildragger?

Thanks.

Plane leveled - Leading edge is data point.  Weight on each wheel x axle distance from data point (arm).  Total of all 3 (weights x arms) divided by total weight will give you empty CG.  Recalculate for loaded CG by adding (weights of fuel (6 lb/gal), pilot (FAA=170 lbs), passenger (FAA170 lbs) x arms) added to (weights x arms total above) and divided by new total weight.   The manual gives the arms for fuel and pilot/passenger.  Someone has a computer program to do this with.  Hope I helped - any questions on what I wrote?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Most likely you will find that the main wheels are in front of the datum point.  In that case, they become a - number.  In other words, in front of the datum point are subtracted.  In the Avid MK IV, pilot moment is 16"  wing tank fuel is 15".  I believe the C model is the same.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the correction and added info Jim - I was thinking Kitfox where the mains are usually behind the datum point.  Since he said "taildragger" I didn't add that for a nosedragger the nose wheel arm, or anything forward of the datum point would be a minus number.   That makes a huge difference in CG.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Or you could just use my excel spreadsheet in the files and forms area and it'll do all the work for you. 

Posted

I wonder if the 16.5" cg aft limit is set by requirements for the tricycle-gear version, not pitch stability.