Avid Serial Number Location

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know where Avid put a serial number on their airframes? 

Posted

Far as I know, they didn't.  JImChuk

Posted

fillmanw,

On the Avid kit the serial number is engraved on a tag and attached to the fuselage, normally, back by the tail. It's pretty much left up to the  builder. On my C model the tag was  riveted to the firewall with a decal on the vertical stabilizer.  If you're doing a  rebuild, I'd  look for a tag attached near the tail feathers, or at least aft of the cockpit.

Jackak

Posted

Again, in the course of regular kit manufacture, there is no evidence that any Avid factory (either Light Aero, Avid Aircraft, [old] Airdale Aircraft or Airdale Sportplane) stamped serial numbers directly on a fuselage. The kit s/n was provided on the original invoice, pull sheets and Bill of Sale. It may also be found on other documentation related to the kit purchase ie. copies of written letters, facsimiles (fax, remember those?), etc. Sadly, these records sometimes get lost during the chain of ownership over the years. Airdale Sportplane was provided manufacturing and purchase records for all the previous kit manufacturers but Brett appears to have dissolved or walked away from it and from most accounts does not respond to contact attempts.

if you do not have documentation for a kit, I recommend you visit the Kitfox Aircraft website and look thru the menus. They have a link for early KF owners that includes instructions and a sample letter to provide the FAA in the event they do not have original factory documentation (as is the case with many Skystar kits). It might help in formulating your game plan.

Posted

If you are in the process of trying to register your plane as a new build, I believe there is an option of having been built from parts.  JImChuk