Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

16-Hour E-LSA Class

7 posts in this topic

Posted

In a couple of hours, I'm off to Oshkosh to do the 16-hour E-LSA Class.

I'll be off the air for this over the weekend and will report back any interesting information I get. Wish me luck.

Posted

In a couple of hours, I'm off to Oshkosh to do the 16-hour E-LSA Class.

I'll be off the air for this over the weekend and will report back any interesting information I get. Wish me luck.

Good Luck! Is yours registered as an LSA :dunno:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

The two Kitfoxes I own, the 1050 model IV (yellow one) is registered E-LSA, the 1200 (kind of white one - the rat bird) is registered experimental, amateur built.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Leni asks....."Is yours registered as an LSA...?"

reply is... "....the 1050 model IV (yellow one) is registered E-LSA..."

Could someone show me where on an aircraft registration or application is the designation for E-LSA....,

It may be certificated as a E-LSA, but it is not "registrated" as such. (Note the word "certificated"...not "certified"

I know...., I'm nitpicking, but proper nomenclature is critical...........

Leni....don't make me put my foot..... :beerchug:

DAmn ...it feels good to bitch about something again. :biker2:

BTW...., for LSA airplane class..., doesn't one need the 120 hr course in (basic) maintenance training before one takes the 16 hr LSA airplane "Inspection" course???

Read here: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=04e99640259d7ba6cd59e176e166f988&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.4.5.1.5&idno=14

"(b) The holder of a repairman certificate (light-sport aircraft) with an inspection rating may perform the annual condition inspection on a light-sport aircraft:

(1) That is owned by the holder;

(2) That has been issued an experimental certificate for operating a light-sport aircraft under §21.191(i) of this chapter; and

(3) That is in the same class of light-sport-aircraft for which the holder has completed the training specified in paragraph (a)(2)(ii) of this section.

Posted

Holy shit! You are still alive! Hows the world been treating you Steve :dunno:

Bout time you piped up around here again! Still putting some hours on the KF or you been too busy playing with warbirds?

:BC:

Posted

N84KF is in the home garage for the winter. Total time is about 95 hrs or so, running strong, and (was) making better landings too. ( :bsflag: )

Gettin' ready to go to Key West Fl. soon, then off to Fortaleza, Brazil to soak up some sun. When I get back, it will be time to return to a airport hanger for the "season".

Love all the new "Emotions".....

post-3-1264885442445_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264885538003_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hello again everyone. I can't argue with the semantics of 84KF. He is correct on that. BUT, here is the story on the classes:

16 Hour Class: If you own an airplane that is certificated as an E-LSA and you successfully complete the 16 hour class, the certificate that you receive allows you to apply to the FAA to be named as a legal inspector for that aircraft. This allows you to do the condition inspections and sign it off in the aircraft log. No A&P needed.

The class completion certificate is permanent and will allow you to apply for this inspection right on any E-LSA that you own, now or in the future. If/when you sell the aircraft your inspection right on that aircraft no longer applies.

Anyone can do maintenance on an aircraft certificated as E-LSA. Anyone. Only an A&P or the owner of the aircraft who holds this inspection authorization from the FAA, via the 16 hour class, may do the condition inspection and sign it off as in safe flying condition.

120 Hour Class: If you successfully complete the 120 hour class you can then apply to become, in effect, an A&P with IA privileges for all S-LSA and E-LSA certificated aircraft. It will allow you to work, for hire, on these aircraft. Maintenance and inspection operations.

Not amateur built experimental or certified aircraft that qualify as LSA, only S-LSA and E-LSA certificated aircraft.

You can read and interpret these laws as you want, but this is how the FAA (and the EAA) are applying them.