Elevartor and rudder hinge bushing

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Someone asked about the material used, I believe I use 1/4" poly flow tubing ACS 44-P for those bushings.

Posted (edited)

I would have to go thru my library to verify this, but I think the early ones used a softer tube, and they came out later and said that NYLON tubing lasted longer because it didn't wear out as fast.   Somewhere I read that a good way to install them is to use an electric pencil sharpener to put a point on the tubing, and insert the point into the pivot tube and pull it thru with pliers, and then cut off the point and the other end flush.   I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my list to do.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I used 1/4" refrigerator water line from Ace Hardware.

You need to pre-drill the ID oversized, then when the tube compresses into the hinge the pins fit snugly.  Pressed in with a C-clamp and a little lube.  I don't remember what drill size that was...

Posted (edited)

Another approach... Press in the bushings (I also used water/ice maker line), position the elevator or rudder, then heat a hinge pin and push it thru. Obviously, hot enough to get it thru but you don't want the pin red hot. Just enough to get it thru. When the bushing cools it will produce a snug pin fit. Benefit to this approach is if you have one or more slightly misaligned hinge tubes it will create the proper linear pin pathway thru the hinge without having to attempt realignment (i.e., bending or rewelding) of the hinge or reaming hinge bushings with the control surfaces in place (a royal PITA!).

Edited by dholly