Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 7 possible purchase

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys 

A friend of mine has decided to put his kitfox 7 up forsale and it's still in kit form with very little work done on it, it comes with everything apart from the 912 injected engine and fabric. Do you think I should by it cause if i do then i will have to sell my sportcruiser so the question is kitfox 7 or sportcruiser.

Thanks 

Richard 

Posted

Depends on what you want for a plane.  Sportcruiser is a great little plane, so is the Kitfox. 

Do you like building?

Would you be okay without a flying plane for a year or more while you build?

Posted

I got to fly a sportcruiser and wow that was a fun plane . It just depends on what you really want .

Posted

It's a hard one as I do like my sportcruiser but as you are aware I have the avid to so I won't be without an aircraft. The thing is l want a tail wheel aircraft and I like the look of the kitfox and I could keep both in the hanger instead of one at two different airfields. I Like building and have built several aircraft. 

Posted (edited)

Also, the issue of S-LSA vs. E-EB (not E-LSA) would be a biggie to me. Do you need to stay Light Sport? If not, the higher MTOW/Gross weight Kitfox must be a consideration. How about the lower cost of ownership, ie. owner repair and maintenance (assuming you are not an A&P). I don't know how you feel about it, but I am so f'n frustrated at the S-LSA and manufacturer requirements that I am taking my Aerotrek to E-LSA. I have a grand total of two Rotax iMRT's in the whole friggin state to do simple engine work I have already done on my other E-AB multiple times. Having to arrange and get to them, sometimes by trailer if necessary, can be ridiculously expensive and time consuming. Prohibitively so, IMHO, unless you live next to one. Sportcruiser is a very nice ride, but since you have the prior experience and enjoy building (not to mention the KF7 has arguably the best build manual in the business), I bet you could knock it pretty quick if you set your mind to it. Personally, I would buy the kit if you think your Sportcruiser can fetch a fair $$. The hangar savings alone would go a long way, I can get two folding wing aircraft (one tri-gear and one TD in my 1/2 end hangar. ;)

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

I do like the sportcruiser but I know I can get £50,000 for it, the kf7 kit I can get for £14,000 and I think that is a good deal but I can't keep them both even tho I don't have to sell the sportcruiser to free up the money it's the space :( . I'm very lucky that Mr friends are LAA inspectors and engineers so I only have to pay for parts and I help them do the works and then it gets signed off.

Decisions 

Decisions 

Edited by Richard Smith
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

With folding Riblett wings and the option to put most any small 4-stroke engine in the KF7, you have a new plane and the best of designs at a lower cost.  Bonus is, that you already fly an Avid, and should be pleased with the KF7 improvements.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO