Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Raven Build

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Well 22 hours later I arrived home with the first load of my new to me Raven project, I'm excited! The ad for this project did not do it justice to  say the least. Now the fun begins! Exactly 3 feet of overhang on the trailer. Mike

DSC00125.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I decided it would be easier for me to move around with the gear installed temporarily. I also started looking over some of the workmanship on the airframe and I'm not to pleased with a few things that I have seen. I also checked the motor mount and found it doesn't line up with the airframe. Any suggestions on fixing these kind of problems are welcome. There is no build log for anything I got and the paperwork from plans for you that came with it are confusing and poorly copied at best. Mike

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

DSC00129.JPG

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted

It's not unusual for parts to come out of the jig they were built in and then warp a bit.  I've had motor mounts that you had to pull into place.  Probably most of them somewhat.  If you can pull it into place, I wouldn't worry about that to much.  JImChuk

Posted

In many cases, you can muscle it into place then heat temper (stress relief) it at 1000*F-1100*F to take the 'set' and minimize embrittlement. At least, that's what my A&P says and what he has done with two of my engine mounts. I agree some of those welds definitely need redone, looks like the original builder or welder was still learning the process with thin wall 4130.

Posted (edited)

Mike,  I think your Raven is a virtual copy of the Kitfox 1 - at least mine is.  I can get a copy of my Kitfox 1 builder manual copied for you at cost of copying and postage.  Bottom sides of fuselage in landing gear area needs reinforced and the spar attach cross tubes are very light - You can find posts on here.  I have a spare early Kitfox engine mount if yours wont work.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Take the opportunity to make the fuse exactly what you want why it's in that form. Beef it up where others have, build a baggage area, and make sure you feel good about it before covering it. Looks like you got a lot of good stuff in that deal. Congrats!

Posted

Take the opportunity to make the fuse exactly what you want why it's in that form. Beef it up where others have, build a baggage area, and make sure you feel good about it before covering it. Looks like you got a lot of good stuff in that deal. Congrats!

And - Make the tailfeathers larger - they need that.   EDMO

Posted

Shitty welds to say the least.  And that is being polite.  if it was me, I would use a thin cutting wheel and take that mount off at the joints, bolt it to the fuse then re-weld it and wrap a strap of 4130 plate around it and weld that out and walk away.  you can stretch it and then heat with a rose bud maybe but you will be heating the entire mount and getting a little stretch from all the tubes in play, don't try to get it from just one side.

I see some IF on a couple welds as well.  I would have a good welder go over it.  Not knowing what it was welded with, you may get away with just running over it with a TIG torch and washing the weld to get it to lay down and actually fuse.  If the filler was shit to begin with it may just open up a can of crap and you will have it popping and loading up with porosity when you hit it with the TIG. 

:BC:

Posted

I'm retired but I used to spend time in Oscoda ferrying 747's in and out for my employer. Do you work at the airport ?  

Posted

I am retired from Skywest Airlines, but I did work part time at the FBO for about 3 years. I have a much more structured part time gig at NAPA auto parts now. I do keep up on the local scuttle butt out at Kaletta if you have any questions. Mike

Posted

Thanks.  I sure like the area up there. Cruising up and down the shoreline was my thing to do in nice wx.  I don't miss the place after 29 years. I'm glad all my airborne adventures now are with 100 hp or less.

1 person likes this