Just picked up this Model 1 kitfox

120 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

IMG_20170516_193337_302.jpg

IMG_20170429_145040_989.jpg

IMG_20170510_012159_893.jpg

Edited by Durham66

Posted

Welcome to the forum! I saw that bird on barnstormers a while ago but So Cal was just to far to go get it, the asking price was reasonable for sure. If you don't already know there is a photo album and a little info on the original builder over on the other KF forum. Good luck with your new flying machine! Mike

Posted (edited)

The adverse yaw is mostly because it don't have differential ailerons.  Kitfox makes a control kit to make it better - not sure if it fits the Model 1.   You are correct that the tailfeathers need to be made larger.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That would have to be one of the best colour schemes around,just install a 582 and go have some fun! A 912 is around 50lbs heavier which may be a problem for an early Fox.The adverse yaw is something you will quickly get used to.

1 person likes this

Posted

.The adverse yaw is something you will quickly get used to.

Just get used to using your feet!  Lead your turns with a bit of rudder.  Have a good slip indicator and do what it says.    STEP ON THE BALL!  :-)  JImChuk

Posted

Yes, that looks like the correct exhaust

Posted

ok guys thanks for the replies, I've read just about everything on kit fox forrums so I feel like I know allot of you already. Wow I must say I was taken back sitting in this thing today. having only flown in 172s it's a little bit of a shock sitting in this kind of machine lol. I imagine you feel more like you are wearing the airplane. Im going to need a fair amount of tailwheel time before I'm ready to fly this kitfox. looking through the pictures of the build process I came across pictures of N85DD which I've seen on these forrums talking about the modifications done. hopefully I can achieve the same kind of success in restoring it. Thanks for the replies and I'll keep posting pictures of my progress. 

Posted

That would have to be one of the best colour schemes around,just install a 582 and go have some fun! A 912 is around 50lbs heavier which may be a problem for an early Fox.The adverse yaw is something you will quickly get used to.

Welcome to the forum! I saw that bird on barnstormers a while ago but So Cal was just to far to go get it, the asking price was reasonable for sure. If you don't already know there is a photo album and a little info on the original builder over on the other KF forum. Good luck with your new flying machine! Mike

Really? I'll have to check that out. Thank you!  I ended up paying 5,500. 

Posted

Just get used to using your feet!  Lead your turns with a bit of rudder.  Have a good slip indicator and do what it says.    STEP ON THE BALL!  :-)  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The elevator is getting stuck right here in the picture it's seems to be all gunked up. has anyone experienced this? is oil or lubrication used to make is move smoothly when you control the elevator? 

20170602_191819.jpg

Edited by Durham66

Posted (edited)

Mine have all been greased by the builder - never had a problem.  Manuals say to grease the tube, but no specific grease listed.  BTW:  There was a Manditory Sevice Bulletin on adding triangle sheet metal pieces to the elevator where the trailing tube connects with pivot tube.  I think it has been posted on this site too.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What is on the main portion (non-shiny) of the tube, paint perhaps?   I use Sailkote and works great.  Its a dry lube that holds up very well..

Posted (edited)

yeah It is paint. is this tube supposed to be painted? I guess it doesn't hurt anything as long as it's not where it meets metal on metal. There is no inspection plates near that section on the fuselage that will allow me to get to it. I guess I'll have to add one? any tips on how to do it.  another thing I noticed it that the bunjees for the landing gear are in the way of the flap handle. I'm guessing whoever installed them wrapped the bunjees the wrong direction. There is some surface rust on the control surfaces. the flapperon is damages in one spot on the corner. should I just use some glue to fix this? it has a Maule tailwheel. 20170603_114555.thumb.jpg.3fef00da622683 I need new Laxan. I think I read that you drill the revets out with a small drill bit?

20170603_150514.jpg

20170603_134826.jpg

20170603_114958.jpg

Edited by Durham66

Posted

Mine have all been greased by the builder - never had a problem.  Manuals say to grease the tube, but no specific grease listed.  BTW:  There was a Manditory Sevice Bulletin on adding triangle sheet metal pieces to the elevator where the trailing tube connects with pivot tube.  I think it has been posted on this site too.   EDMO

Thanks for the heads up 

Posted

20170603_110458.jpg

Posted

My tube is painted with epoxy chromate primer. I lube it and the bearing at every annual with white lithium grease. 

I see you have the Grove aluminum tailspring. I have one too and you'll find that plus the solid Maule tailwheel make for a jarring ride if you hit cracks in the pavement. I recently upgraded to a Matco pnematic tailwheel and it's smoothed the ride appreciably. Many will warn you away from the Maule.  I'm one of the lucky few who didn't have any issues with it other than the harsh ride.

I note some of the steering chain components look non-aviation grade. Might want to revisit that. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Adding an inspection ring it pretty easy - glue down a plastic reinforcing ring http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/inspectring.php cover it with some pre-shrunk fabric using polybrush, finish....

I would highly recommend buying the polyfiber book - the cover this sort of thing reasonably well. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/polyfiberCover.php

Posted (edited)

My tube is painted with epoxy chromate primer. I lube it and the bearing at every annual with white lithium grease. 

I see you have the Grove aluminum tailspring. I have one too and you'll find that plus the solid Maule tailwheel make for a jarring ride if you hit cracks in the pavement. I recently upgraded to a Matco pnematic tailwheel and it's smoothed the ride appreciably. Many will warn you away from the Maule.  I'm one of the lucky few who didn't have any issues with it other than the harsh ride.

I note some of the steering chain components look non-aviation grade. Might want to revisit that. 

it does seem very stiff, that wheel is like solid rock.   Thank you for letting me know about the home depot chain on here, it's hard to identify for me without the experience.  should I add a insp section plate on the  belly if the airplane to get at the elevator tube? 

Edited by Durham66

Posted

Nice work on the model one I had a blast building mine, should make a fun airplane for ya.

Posted (edited)

If your paint is polytone, and I suspect it is, here's how to install an inspection ring on a plane that is already painted.  Bond the ring down with poly-tack.  When cured, cut out a circle inside the ring about 1/2 inch smaller than the diameter of the ring. Then make a series of radial cuts in the fabric to the edge of the ring.  Fold these fabric tabs back over the ring and glue down with poly-tack.  This will strengthen the mounting of the ring to the fabric without creating a large area that would need to be repainted.

I installed one on my belly under the elevator tube bushing when covering but when doing my first annual inspection I found I needed two hands to clean and re-grease the bearing.  I then installed the second inspection ring.

On the flap controls rubbing the bungees.  A fellow here in Ellensburg has a Kitfox model 2 with the same problem.  He put a tie wrap around the whole cluster of bungee wraps and that small section of verticel tubing on the right side of the bungees and sinched it up tight enough to pull the loop end of the bungee out of the way of the flap rod.

FYI, here's a photo what they did on the model 4 to fix that flaw.

Belly.jpg

P1020352.JPG

Edited by tcj

Posted

I just noticed your bungees are wrapped around the top tube on the truss.  I think they should be down on the short section of horizontal tubing like in my photo above.

Posted

I just noticed your bungees are wrapped around the top tube on the truss.  I think they should be down on the short section of horizontal tubing like in my photo above.

I was wondering about that too - What happens when you put the FG seat in? - It will sit on the bungees instead of the crosstube.   EDMO

Posted

Nice work on the model one I had a blast building mine, should make a fun airplane for ya.

I hope I can get mine to look as good as yours,, that jaburu would be nice too!!! i' d have to do a full tear down to get it that nice..

Posted

I was wondering about that too - What happens when you put the FG seat in? - It will sit on the bungees instead of the crosstube.   EDMO

lol shows how little i know at the current moment. the previous owner had it like this. what weird is there are cuts in the fg seat to allow the bunjees space. I wonder why he would do that. I need to investigate more. 

Posted

i didnt notice that!! idk why the previous owner did that maybe it allowed him to use different bunjees? there are cuts in the seat to allow him to do this.