Just picked up this Model 1 kitfox

120 posts in this topic

Posted

Adding an inspection ring it pretty easy - glue down a plastic reinforcing ring http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/inspectring.php cover it with some pre-shrunk fabric using polybrush, finish....

I would highly recommend buying the polyfiber book - the cover this sort of thing reasonably well. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/polyfiberCover.php

Thank you, will be doing for sure!!

Posted

Avid flyers wrap around the top of the seat truss.  If that's what he had seen before, then maybe that's the way he thought the Kitfox was supposed to be as well.  JImChuk

Posted

If your paint is polytone, and I suspect it is, here's how to install an inspection ring on a plane that is already painted.  Bond the ring down with poly-tack.  When cured, cut out a circle inside the ring about 1/2 inch smaller than the diameter of the ring. Then make a series of radial cuts in the fabric to the edge of the ring.  Fold these fabric tabs back over the ring and glue down with poly-tack.  This will strengthen the mounting of the ring to the fabric without creating a large area that would need to be repainted.

I installed one on my belly under the elevator tube bushing when covering but when doing my first annual inspection I found I needed two hands to clean and re-grease the bearing.  I then installed the second inspection ring.

On the flap controls rubbing the bungees.  A fellow here in Ellensburg has a Kitfox model 2 with the same problem.  He put a tie wrap around the whole cluster of bungee wraps and that small section of verticel tubing on the right side of the bungees and sinched it up tight enough to pull the loop end of the bungee out of the way of the flap rod.

FYI, here's a photo what they did on the model 4 to fix that flaw.

Belly.jpg

P1020352.JPG

ahhh ok I'm going to look at it, that makes allot more sense. I wonder why they wrapped it on the top tube? Thanks for the info on inspection plates. that's my next step. 

Posted

Avid flyers wrap around the top of the seat truss.  If that's what he had seen before, then maybe that's the way he thought the Kitfox was supposed to be as well.  JImChuk

That could very well be.... I'm definitely switching it. Also, the seat doesn't wasnt to stay in place. do you use zip ties?

Posted

20170603_194404.jpg

Posted (edited)

how should I fix this flapperon? glue? This is the only damage on them. 

20170603_150810.jpg

Edited by Durham66

Posted (edited)

I don't understand the flaperon photo - are those trim tabs on the flaperon?  Also, that's MAJOR DAMAGE on them - they are sheet metal - cant understand how that could happen - looks like a re-skin job, or buy some more!  ???  EDMO

Yes, zip ties work for seats - covers use Velcro.  Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I don't understand the flaperon photo - are those trim tabs on the flaperon?  Also, that's MAJOR DAMAGE on them - they are sheet metal - cant understand how that could happen - looks like a re-skin job!  ???  EDMO

I'm not ssure what you are seeing, in the background you can see the elevator leaning on the wing and I'm holding up the flaperon. So that looks really bad? I'm going to take more pictures tomorrow. I can feel it's aluminum with the foam inside.  can this be repaired? 

Posted

I don't understand the flaperon photo - are those trim tabs on the flaperon?  Also, that's MAJOR DAMAGE on them - they are sheet metal - cant understand how that could happen - looks like a re-skin job!  ???  EDMO

I'm not ssure what you are seeing, in the background you can see the elevator leaning on the wing and I'm holding up the flaperon. So that looks really bad? I'm going to take more pictures tomorrow. I can feel it's aluminum with the foam inside.  can this be repaired? 

I looks bad to me.  One of our guys posted photos where he took the skin apart, straightened it, put more foam in it and re-riveted it.  That's the first time most of us have seen the inside of one.  I think in your case you may have to replace the skin - that looks like a very long tear to patch up with lots of rivets.  More photos might help.  I now see the elevator.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

they look remarkable straight, which makes me wonder how it got damaged. The point that it is damaged the aluminum widens out and isn't touching. I think it's the inside part, to me it doesn't look like a recover job but I could be wrong. the flaperons come built from the factory dont they? I hope I don't have to open it up any more, I feel like I could easily make it way worse. 

Edited by Durham66

Posted (edited)

It would be good to know how the flaperon got that way - was it damaged in a wreck - careless handling - flutter?  Is there a balance weight on it?  The only thing inside is the pivot tube and some stripes of foam.  The outer part is just a sheet of aluminum bent in front and riveted at trailing edge.  I guess it would be possible to just replace a section of it and overlap that and rivet that to the old part?  I would need to see more photos.  Someone else may have a different opinion on how to repair it.  I don't know of anything about repairing flaperons being published.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If they are relatively straight I would just pop a couple rivets in and move on to the next .

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Looks like the tip just separated a bit.  A little wavy just in from the end, but not that bad from what  I can see.  I think I would clean out the old filler, what is it? bondo?  Clean it up good and redo it with epoxy.  JImChuk

PS  I used zip ties to keep the seat in place

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

The damage to the flaperon looks like someone tried to fold the wings with the flaperon deflected down and the inboard end hit the top corner of the fuselage.  Guess how I know that can happen.

Edited by tcj
2 people like this

Posted

Back to the bungee question. With the lug that you use to hook the end loop to so close to the flap push-pull rod. is it going to make any difference on how the bungee interferes with setting the flaps unless that lug is moved over to where the ones shown in the other pictures are located? That end loop and the clamp are still going to put pressure on the rod, aren't they?

Jackak

Posted

I don't recall your wing size but if it's short like my speed wing then you'll never use the flaps . I tried a couple times and I didn't like how it felt . I rely on slipping if I have to . I have a u tube video spot landing with a couple slips in there , way more fun coming in sideways.

Posted

The damage to the flaperon looks like someone tried to fold the wings with the flaperon deflected down and the inboard end hit the top corner of the fuselage.  Guess how I know that can happen.

I think you are right about how it got damaged. 

Posted (edited)

Back to the bungee question. With the lug that you use to hook the end loop to so close to the flap push-pull rod. is it going to make any difference on how the bungee interferes with setting the flaps unless that lug is moved over to where the ones shown in the other pictures are located? That end loop and the clamp are still going to put pressure on the rod, aren't they?

Jackak

It probably will still rub, I need another solution.

Edited by Durham66

Posted

It would be good to know how the flaperon got that way - was it damaged in a wreck - careless handling - flutter?  Is there a balance weight on it?  The only thing inside is the pivot tube and some stripes of foam.  The outer part is just a sheet of aluminum bent in front and riveted at trailing edge.  I guess it would be possible to just replace a section of it and overlap that and rivet that to the old part?  I would need to see more photos.  Someone else may have a different opinion on how to repair it.  I don't know of anything about repairing flaperons being published.   EDMO

they do have the weights on them. I'll post more photos 

Posted

Your bungee looks bigger then 3/8 but I could be wrong . I would redo the bungee and see how it goes . You might be able to fix it by wrapping it a little different.

Posted

I cut some balsa blocks to go in the ends of the flaperons and epoxied them in there.  A couple rivets and your golden.  I would damn sure not let that stop me from flying even if I just did a field repair with gorilla tape :lmao:

From the looks of your tabs you kind of stuck with what you have.  Mine rub a little on the flap linkage but its never been and issue.

:BC:

Posted

20170604_140732.jpg

Posted (edited)

I think it's pretty good, the foam was still there with only a tiny bit missing so I decided to just keep it simple and epoxy it shut. you can see a clear epoxy layer in there but I think if I paint it it will look fine. I'll add a revet or two later. I'm curious as to how to move the header tank. It smells like gas in the cockpit, does moving the header tank and putting a new panel give you a little more knee room? I could use it. ok one more question for now, I'm milking you guys for everything your worth :). how should I address the surface rust on some of the tubes? I was thinking I would Sand the rust that I can get to and then primer and paint. the rust isn't that bad but it's an eyesore and I wasnt to stop it from getting worse.

20170603_191117.jpg

Edited by Durham66

Posted

Sand them and put some ospho rust inhibitor on them then prime and paint . I also have a set of 9 gallon wing tanks that might work for your plane .

Posted

Sand them and put some ospho rust inhibitor on them then prime and paint . I also have a set of 9 gallon wing tanks that might work for your plane .

it has one wing tank on one side and the other side has storage. I haven't investigated the wing tank that much yet. Will it be necessary to add another winf tank if I yank the nose tank. I know I'll still have a header tank behind the seat but I don't imagine it will hold as much as that massive nose tank.