Just picked up this Model 1 kitfox

120 posts in this topic

Posted

Depends on how many gallons the wing tank holds and how much flying you want to do before refueling.

Posted (edited)

Sure glad your flaperon isn't torn sheet metal like I thought I saw in the first photo.  Guess if it just needed epoxy and clamps at the end you saved it easily.  Good Show!  Lots of guys fly with only one wing tank, but like Chopndrag says it depends on the flying you do as to how much gas you need on board.   Gas is weight, and more weight is harder to get off of the ground.   I put Four 12 gallon tanks in my wings for long distance, but it aint no puddle duck!   I built this for trips across Alaska, and really don't need them down here.  I am not about to take 2 of them out now - just figure if I have a leak in one, I can shut it off and use one of the others without tearing my wing apart.   I would only fill all of them for a long solo flight.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

My mkIV has a single 18 gallon tank and I run a 582 . I fly around 3-4 hours on it with reserve depending on how I set my cruise . I wouldn't mind more fuel myself but It's just to much work that I don't feel like dealing with . After a couple hours I'm ready to get out and stretch my legs anyway. 

Posted (edited)

Nice work on the model one I had a blast building mine, should make a fun airplane for ya.

hey Tjay, did you have any issues after adding the Jabiru? Isnt it a little heavier than a 582? I think i read 138lbs. Im trying to decide what to put on it. I need to get rid of the 532. I live in Central Oregon, nothing but trees. The Yamaha RX-1 isnt much heavier, i wonder if it woukd fit under the cowling. Did you add weight to the tail? 

Edited by Durham66
1 person likes this

Posted

hey Tjay, did you have any issues after adding the Jabiru? Isnt it a little heavier than a 582? I think i read 138lbs. Im trying to decide what to put on it. I need to get rid of the 532. I live in Central Oregon, nothing but trees. The Yamaha RX-1 isnt much heavier, i wonder if it woukd fit under the cowling. Did you add weight to the tail? 

not sure it hasn't left the garage yet

Posted

what do you guys think about the wooden flaperon attachment points? i've read about the alluminum reinforcements to ensure more side load strength. If I want to reinforce it will i have to remove all the fabric on the wigs and recover. Mine seem to be in good condition but ive heard the horror stories, id sure feel better if they were reinforced. 

Posted (edited)

Since the ribtails usually break at the front bolt hole or just in front of that, you can do a partial reinforcement by adding aluminum angles, or even flat stock, on the whole part of the ribs that shows outside of the fabric.  Use 9460 and rivet the angles to the ribs.  If you ever do a recover, then you can use the longer angles to make a better reinforcement of the tails if you think that is necessary.   Be very careful when you fold the wings not to hit the flaperons on the fuselage.  Crazed Pilot has a video of How to fold Kitfox wings on utube.   The only other time I have seen the ribtails break is when someone has a goundloop or crash.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

ahh so no glue but revet it, sounds like a good temporary sotution untill the re cover job. im so tempted to take the fabric off but I cant bring myself to do it because its in really great condition.  

Posted

What's the old saying?  "If it aint broke, don't fix it"!  EDMO

Posted

ok so im having the sone trouble with thr seat pan rubbing the control surfaces. I read about it in another forrum that listed some sugestions such as straps and netting. I also notice some of the tubes are bent but i read thats normal. what do you guys think?

Posted

Fiberglass seat pan?  I put some 5/4" deck planking under the seat in my old plane to keep it off the control rods.  My new plane I put storage boxes under the seat to hold them up.

Posted

Sand them and put some ospho rust inhibitor on them then prime and paint . I also have a set of 9 gallon wing tanks that might work for your plane .

are your tanks alluminum? are they the fuel resistant ones? i have one 9ngallon alluminum tank on one side and storage on the other. Ill probably replace both. I yanked the nosetank. the cockpit smells like fuel so im redoing the fuel system. 

Posted

Sand them and put some ospho rust inhibitor on them then prime and paint . I also have a set of 9 gallon wing tanks that might work for your plane .

are your tanks alluminum? are they the fuel resistant ones? i have one 9ngallon alluminum tank on one side and storage on the other. Ill probably replace both. I yanked the nosetank. the cockpit smells like fuel so im redoing the fuel system. 

fiberglass , I sent you a pm 

Posted

My cockpit always smells like fuel. I have never found any leaks.

Posted

Hows the plane coming along? We need our monthly progress report :-) Mike

Posted

That would have to be one of the best colour schemes around,just install a 582 and go have some fun! A 912 is around 50lbs heavier which may be a problem for an early Fox.The adverse yaw is something you will quickly get used to.

the weight difference depends on setup. My 582 with all the mounts,radiators etc weighed nearly the same as a cleaner installed rotax 912 that had a much simpler mount. 

Posted (edited)

hey guys sorry for the absence, i've been busy in college, I'm in an aviation program in Bend Oregon, currently working on my ppl. getting close now.  I've been working on the kitfox at a snails pace, I dont really have the coin to just buy a new motor yet. Ive been thinking about all my options to re power it.  im in the process of putting in new lexan. I took out the header tank and i'm going to add a new one behind the seat, I really had to do it to get more leg room. i've started working on a new instrument  panel does anyone have dimensions for a panel to go into a model 1? i've cut out a bunch of slightly different shapes that could work. unfortunately i have to move the plane because the storage unit people don't like me working on it. Around here in Bend Oregon its a nightmare to find a hangar or even space. I want to put a yamaha engine on it, i cant afford a 912, atleast not right now. It would be hard to get a motor mount too from what I have heard. Where I live its nothing but tree's. I need another wing tank too. . lots of work this winter. 

Edited by Durham66

Posted (edited)

Someone is selling engine mounts for Yama - don't know if Avid or Kitfox or both?  Think I read one price of $1500?   The adapter for C-gearbox is $1500, and the gear box is probably going to cost $2500 or more - Some more $$$$ for exhausts - Plus whatever the sled/Yama will cost you - Add all that up and you can find a used 2200 Jab for same or less.  I think someone has drawings for Jab mount - Again, don't know if Avid or Fox, but very easy to add donuts to firewall to fit either mount.  On the bright side, your 2-smoke engine is probably sellable. 

Note:  Before you buy a Jab, check with "1avidflyer", Jim Chuk, about serial numbers.  He knows about which to buy and which may have problems.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Would you be interested in selling you original fuel tank? I might be interested if you are. Whats wrong with the Rotax? You can rehab one pretty cheap. Good luck with the PPL. Mike

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Would you be interested in selling you original fuel tank? I might be interested if you are. Whats wrong with the Rotax? You can rehab one pretty cheap. Good luck with the PPL. Mike

Mike,  If you are asking about an original Kitfox nose tank, I have one for sale.  Make me a reasonable offer plus postage.  I also have an original Kitfox 2, 12 gallon FG wing tank for sale.  No leaks when removed.  I would have to check if LEFT or RIGHT - Memory getting Old!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I think im going to rehab the 532 and get it in the air before I swap the motor. I do have that nose tank, let me think on it. I need to get to work on this airplane. Thank You!  

Posted (edited)

I appreciate everyone who has givin me info, I really love this website and the Kitfox community.  Thank You!!! 

Edited by Durham66

Posted

hey guys whats going on? can anyone tell me the name and size of the two large bolts that hold the wings on the fuselage are called for a model one? 

Posted (edited)

hey guys whats going on? can anyone tell me the name and size of the two large bolts that hold the wings on the fuselage are called for a model one? 

Model1 manual lists:  bolt AN5-30 and washer AN960-516 and nut AN310-5 for rear spar bolts & nuts, 

clevis pin AN395-85 for front spar with  same washer

and cotter pin AN380-2-2 for each AN310-5 nut and safety pin AN416-1 for each clevis pin. 

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Model1 manual lists,  bolt AN5-30 and washer AN960-516 and nut AN310-5 for rear spar bolts & nuts, 

clevis pin AN395-85 for front spar with  same washer

and cotter pin AN380-2-2 for each AN310-5 nut and safety pin AN416 for each clevis pin.  EDMO

Thank you!!!