Just picked up this Model 1 kitfox

120 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If you don't have a builder's manual, I can ship you one to U.S.A. for $50 - It cost that much now to copy one, not including binder and shipping since my UPS copy place doubled their prices.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If you don't have a builder's manual, I can ship you one to U.S.A. for $50 - It cost that much now to copy one, not including binder and shipping since my UPS copy place doubled their prices.  EDMO

Sadly i have one, not sure if some of it is missing though. 

Posted

Glad to help if you need more info;    EDmO

Posted

20180312_181151.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

well that is a nice teaser.  More pics?? has she flown yet?

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Be still my quivering heart! Smokin’!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think I can get the other holes in with a punch when I have a better idea of what will go where. 

SmartSelectImage_2018-05-03-15-17-37.png

Edited by Durham66

Posted

20171202_105937.jpg

Posted

How do I measure this properly so I can get a nice bracket?

20171216_160137.jpg

Posted

Lol she isn't sure. 

20171211_131958.jpg

Posted

Can someone tell me what this is in the center. I know people use the I beams or whatever. Is this similar to that? 

20171217_144855.jpg

Posted

I will be building a new firwall soon. 

SmartSelectImage_2018-05-03-16-54-00.png

Posted

The center piece in the spar is a nice thing to see.  Before they started using that type of spar, the gross weight was 850.   With that type of spar, you have a 950 gross weight.  I think that type of extrusion was pretty expensive, more than a regular aluminum tube at any rate, and they went back to just a round tube with a stiffener that was inserted into the tube, centered on the lift strut attachment bracket.   As far at the brackets, I would do trial and error, until you get one that fits good, and then copy it.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just read what u said about the center in the spar and glad to hear that, my Blackfox has those in it.  Will have to check other two planes out to c what they have. Thanks Jim

1 person likes this

Posted

The center piece in the spar is a nice thing to see.  Before they started using that type of spar, the gross weight was 850.   With that type of spar, you have a 950 gross weight.  I think that type of extrusion was pretty expensive, more than a regular aluminum tube at any rate, and they went back to just a round tube with a stiffener that was inserted into the tube, centered on the lift strut attachment bracket.   As far at the brackets, I would do trial and error, until you get one that fits good, and then copy it.   JImChuk

TY! Thats good, one less thing. I have come to realize that as an amateur builder, there will be allot of trial and error. Lots of metel going in the scap bin. 

Posted

The angle gives it lots more strength.... the little bit of bend you need could be made with these.   Just make your flat part, and let it go up about 3/8" higher.  Then bend that extra 3/8" over 90 degrees.    JImChuk

http://www.toolup.com/Vise-Grip-8r-8-Sheet-Metal-Clamp-8R?CAWELAID=120204890000062340&catargetid=120204890000444943&CADEVICE=c

1 person likes this

Posted

The angle gives it lots more strength.... the little bit of bend you need could be made with these.   Just make your flat part, and let it go up about 3/8" higher.  Then bend that extra 3/8" over 90 degrees.    JImChuk

http://www.toolup.com/Vise-Grip-8r-8-Sheet-Metal-Clamp-8R?CAWELAID=120204890000062340&catargetid=120204890000444943&CADEVICE=c

Thank you. I'll take your advice. 

Posted

What made the "earobatic" wing in the avid flyer be able to do such manuvers as is in this video? Would the early avid airplanes outperform early model kitfoxes? I love it. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Screenshot (9).png

Posted (edited)

This program called sketchup is so easy and intuitive to use.  This is the ribtail reinforcement that I made in there. Im stll going to add the extra metel for the 90 degree bend but i 1st need to measure the airplane to see where it should start. It is upside down in the picture, the way I lofted it made it easier that way. 

Screenshot (8).png

Edited by Durham66

Posted (edited)

do NOT have the cabane vee like that where it gives a straight pull through.. Do a search for gear on here and see the number of reasons why. 

Please learn from everyone else's mistakes and do not do the same just for ease of fabrication unless you want the gear and fuse buckled and your plane wrecked.

Edited by akflyer
2 people like this

Posted

do NOT have the cabane vee like that where it gives a straight pull through.. Do a search for gear on here and see the number of reasons why. 

Please learn from everyone else's mistakes and do not do the same just for ease of fabrication unless you want the gear and fuse buckled and your plane wrecked.

Agree X2 - Also the 55" is not near wide enough - Do some research on Avids, Kitfoxes, Grove gear, and the Cabane gear that others are making.  EDMO

1 person likes this