Just picked up this Model 1 kitfox

120 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

do NOT have the cabane vee like that where it gives a straight pull through.. Do a search for gear on here and see the number of reasons why. 

Please learn from everyone else's mistakes and do not do the same just for ease of fabrication unless you want the gear and fuse buckled and your plane wrecked.

:BC:

do NOT have the cabane vee like that where it gives a straight pull through.. Do a search for gear on here and see the number of reasons why. 

Please learn from everyone else's mistakes and do not do the same just for ease of fabrication unless you want the gear and fuse buckled and your plane wrecked.

:BC:

:) Thanks for the advice. I really don't plan on changing the gear right now. I did the mock up quick and put those lines in there just for a visual.  Although the measurements are correct. If I were going to attempt this I would try to put shocks in there. I dont enderstand how they get the leg tubes to flatten out at the end to fit inside the bracket?  Thanks for the concearn regarding the landing gear. I was just messing around though. With you guys advice maybe I can make something look right on paper atleast before I ever try to weld anything. 

Edited by Durham66

Posted (edited)

In this diagram I circled in red one part that confuses me. Does the wire split here or are 2 wires connected to the possitive part of the battery?

20180516_222613.jpg

Edited by Durham66

Posted

I would make the connection at the starter relay.  Big wire comes from battery to starter relay, small wire goes away from there but attaches to the same connection.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

what is the best/cheapest material to use on the motor side of the firewall? 

Edited by Durham66

Posted

Need to be more specific in your question.  What exactly are you asking about.  I know the topic had been electrical, but.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

sorry I mean the sound protection material or heat resistant fabric.I think mine had some sort of fiberglass cloth material, I know some people use aluminum tape. My firewall has some black stuff sprayed on, what is that stuff?

Edited by Durham66

Posted

None of my Avids had the fiberglass fabric like Kitfoxes used.  Hadn't planed on putting it on the Kitfox I'm rebuilding.  I do plan on going with a SS firewall though.  The early Kitfoxes used a thin aluminum firewall, so maybe that started some of the thinking going for the fabric.  JImChuk

Posted

None of my Avids had the fiberglass fabric like Kitfoxes used.  Hadn't planed on putting it on the Kitfox I'm rebuilding.  I do plan on going with a SS firewall though.  The early Kitfoxes used a thin aluminum firewall, so maybe that started some of the thinking going for the fabric.  JImChuk

Thank you

Posted

20180916_155900.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

It could be carb icing depending on conditions and otherwise I would check for fuel contamination  going from tanks to Carb. (fod or water in tanks/gascolator , check carb fuel bowl (drain it) for contamination and fuel filter...).

My 2 cents

P.s I guess you did check the fuel tank drains for water/contaminants before flight/!

Note there is a special bulletin about water contamination in the Cessna 172...  https://all-things-aviation.com/tag/drain-water-from-airplane-fuel-tanks/

1 person likes this

Posted

are these standard Kitfox Hubs? 

20190210_180031.jpg

Posted

20190210_180131.jpg

Posted

my landing gear is 57.5 inches wide (from center to center on the tires), is that standard kitfox gear? 

Posted

my landing gear is 57.5 inches wide (from center to center on the tires), is that standard kitfox gear? 

That's what mine is.

Posted

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove old poly fiber and poly glue from the tubes during recovering?  Is this even necessary? I'm guessing it Is if you want to have a nice finish on a recover job. 

Posted

Rub a little MEK on the glue and it will come right off.

1 person likes this

Posted

Posted (edited)

Maybe i should start a new thread because 5 months ago I sold the model 1 and purchased a model IV 1200. The model IV was mostly completed minus the firwall forward, covering, instrument panel ect. Now on this model IV the previous builder put the wooden ribs into the horizontal stabalizer but this is the only place in the tail section that has them. I really dont want to put ribs in the other surfaces of the tail section. Should i remove these ribs from the hor stab? I guess my question is does anyone choose to only put ribs in the hor stab or would that be dumb?

Edited by Durham66

Posted

I made some and put them in mostly for looks and any flying surface that is flat is draggy I'm sure it helps but definitely not necessary.