Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FAA Revisions to Sport Pilot Rule (effective April 2, 2010)

16 posts in this topic

Posted

On February 1, 2010, the FAA released its revision to the Sport Pilot Rule in the Federal Register as law.

The effective date of the revision will be April 2, 2010.

For the entire Final Rule including comments, modifications and adoptions click HERE

The FAA amended its rules for sport pilots and flight instructors with a sport pilot rating to address airman certification and operational issues that have arisen since regulations for the certification of aircraft and airmen for the operation of light sport aircraft were implemented in 2004.

Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 43, 61, 91, 141

Here are the highlights of the new rules:

Maximum altitudes

Sport Pilots can now fly above 10,000 feet above sea level or if they need to be over terrain or mountains above 10,000 feet AGL or 2000 above ground level, whichever is higher. The 2000 feet above ground level was added. Per new § 61.315

Minimum Altitudes

If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

a powered parachute (PPC) or weight-shift-control (WSC) aircraft in non congested areas may be operated at less than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. This was only for helicopters before but now PPC and WSC was added. Per new §91.119 Minimum safe altitudes.

No Make/model â€SET†of aircraft
. §61.323 gone now and all related rules for for pilots and instructors. It is now split up for light sport aircraft speed endorsements for an above 87 knots Vh aircraft and now new below 87 knots Vh endorsement for the low mass, high drag, slower speed aircraft per §61.327 for pilots and §61.423 for flight instructors.

No additional knowledge test
when changing categories for private pilots per §61.63

Sport Pilot Student certificates are extended
from 24 months to 60 months. Per §61.19 came out later 2009 but is a significant change.

Ultralight experience deadline
to be able to use ultralight time as FAA recognized dual training time. Ultralight time only good for two more years towards sport sport, flight instructor with a sport pilot rating (CFIs) and private pilot WSC and PPC licenses per §61.52. On January 31, 2012 ultralight time can not be used.

Student sport pilots pre solo training added
, if the aircraft is the faster above 87 knots and equipped with flight instruments, the student will have to have Instrument training (flight by reference to instruments) for solo cross country per §61.93

Clarified some weight-shift control and PPC private pilot requirements and privileges
in Subpart E – Private pilots.

Clarified the definition in 43.1 (b) as origionally intended for experimental aircraft.

Cut down requirement the dual flight training time required 60 days before checkride
from 3 to 2 hours for airplane and WSC, and from 2 down to 1 hour for a PPC. §61.313

What they proposed but did not do, withdrawn as they say:

Withdrawn:
Replace sport pilot privileges with aircraft category and class ratings on all pilot certificates (proposal 1)

Withdrawn:
Replace sport pilot flight instructor privileges with aircraft category ratings on all flight instructor certificates (proposal 2)

Withdrawn:
Remove current provisions for the conduct of proficiencychecks by flight instructors and include provisions for the issuance of category and class ratings by designated pilot examiners (proposal 3)

Withdrawn:
Place all requirements for flight instructors under a singlesubpart (subpart H) of part 61 (proposal 4)

Withdrawn:
Require 1 hour of flight training on the control andmaneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments for studentpilots seeking a sport pilot certificate to operate an airplane with a VHgreater than 87 knots CAS and sport pilots operating airplanes with a VHgreater than 87 knots CAS (proposal 5)

Withdrawn:
Remove the requirement for persons exercising sport pilot privileges and flight instructors with a sport pilot rating to carry their

logbooks while in flight (proposal 6)

Withdrawn:
Remove specific regulatory provisions (under proposed §61.324) for endorsements for the operation of powered parachutes with

elliptical wings (portion of proposal 7)

Withdrawn:
Add a requirement for student pilots to obtain endorsements identical to those proposed for sport pilots in §61.324 (portion of proposal 17)

More information available at http://www.eaa.org/ and http://www.sportpilot.org/

Posted

Here is the Official DOT-FAA version in .pdf format.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-2056.pdf

I especially like the FAA statement using the term "low mass". This is not the first time that the FAA has, in a Final Rule statement about LSA-SportPilots, used the word "mass" when speaking about weight.(see below) This is the key to understanding the "maximum takeoff weight" issue....., it's not a perceived "gross weight" number on a weight and balance sheet, but the actual mass of the (lsa) aircraft at the time of takeoff.

(No Make/model â€SET†of aircraft. §61.323 gone now and all related rules for for pilots and instructors. It is now split up for light sport aircraft speed endorsements for an above 87 knots Vh aircraft and now new below 87 knots Vh endorsement for the low mass, high drag, slower speed aircraft per §61.327 for pilots and §61.423 for flight instructors)

Posted

Here is the Official DOT-FAA version in .pdf format.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-2056.pdf

I especially like the FAA statement using the term "low mass". This is not the first time that the FAA has, in a Final Rule statement about LSA-SportPilots, used the word "mass" when speaking about weight.(see below) This is the key to understanding the "maximum takeoff weight" issue....., it's not a perceived "gross weight" number on a weight and balance sheet, but the actual mass of the (lsa) aircraft at the time of takeoff.

(No Make/model â€SET†of aircraft. §61.323 gone now and all related rules for for pilots and instructors. It is now split up for light sport aircraft speed endorsements for an above 87 knots Vh aircraft and now new below 87 knots Vh endorsement for the low mass, high drag, slower speed aircraft per §61.327 for pilots and §61.423 for flight instructors)

I wonder what the affect of this change is on Private Pilots exercising

sport Pilot priveliges? Because there are no restrictions relating to speed until you get up into the high performance aircraft, does that mean you have no restrictions in the sport pilot class, and with the removal of make/model/set criteria, can you "legally" fly a float plane without any endorsement? Common sense says get the training. But, is it required? Any instructors out there that know the answer? Does the ASEL/ASES govern the aircraft you can fly? Clarity makes my head hurt.

Jack

Posted

I wonder what the affect of this change is on Private Pilots exercising sport Pilot priveliges?

You're gonna need two props! :P

Posted

You're gonna need two props! :P

I wonder if it's that simple?

Jack

Posted

I'm not sure I understand the question(s) but this might help.... (61.303) http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=b681abce8672d01ae48644d7f52417e7&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.10.1.2&idno=14

Leni's the float guru, but according to below, "Single engine - sea" is a Airplane "CLASS" and....."ratings are placed on a pilot certificate (other than student pilot) when an applicant satisfactorily accomplishes the training and certification requirements for the rating sought"

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=78ab110d844bef951447ed07db369ecc&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.5&idno=14

I have a Private, SEL cert., and expired medical. My KF5 meets the definition of LSA, so I can fly under the Sport Pilot rules..... eg.up to 10,000 msl (or 2000 agl above 10,000 msl), no night flight. The Private Pilot cert, (and Recreational Pilot cert) all top a Sport Pilot cert. so no additional endorsements are necessary.

I can say... "been there.., done that..."

But I cannot just go fly a LSA on floats since I don't hold the "rating" "Single engine -sea."

Update: Could I fly a LSA on floats......??,if I only takeoff and land on terra firma???

Leni??

Posted (edited)

According to my local LSA CFI, a float "rating" is only a sign off from a qualified instructor (he is qualified, but I don't know what qualifies him) when operating as a Sport Pilot.

So-- That being said, I take it (and he agrees) that as a PP with only a SEL (& SEL-I), if I am operating my LS eligible aircraft within the limitations of a Sport Pilot rating, all I would need to fly it with floats is a sign off from him.

To fly it as a PP I would need to get the seaplane rating, with all of it's associated red tape.

My take is that if you are only operating off land, you would just have really inefficient landing gear. No sign-offs or anything required.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Because there are no restrictions relating to speed until you get up into the high performance aircraft, does that mean you have no restrictions in the sport pilot class, and with the removal of make/model/set criteria, can you "legally" fly a float plane without any endorsement? Common sense says get the training. But, is it required? Any instructors out there that know the answer? Does the ASEL/ASES govern the aircraft you can fly? Clarity makes my head hurt.

Jack

Jack -

As I understand it, the holder of a Sport Pilot Certificate will need an endorsement for BOTH > or < 87 knots CAS. You will get one on your initial proficiency test depending upon the aircraft you train in, however, you will need to get another endorsement if you want to operate as PIC of the other. The 'SLOW CAS' endorsement exception appears to be if you have previously logged flight time as pilot in command of an aircraft with a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS prior to March 3, 2010.

Effective Date(s): April 2, 2010 18. Revise §61.327 to read as follows:

§ 61.327 Are there specific endorsement requirements to operate a light-sport aircraft based on VH?

(a) Except as specified in paragraph © of this section, if you hold a sport pilot certificate and you seek to operate a light-sport aircraft that has a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS you must—

(1) Receive and log ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft that has a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS; and

(2) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who provided the training specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section certifying that you are proficient in the operation of light-sport aircraft with a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS.

(b) If you hold a sport pilot certificate and you seek to operate a light-sport aircraft that has a VH greater than 87 knots CAS you must—

(1) Receive and log ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft that has a VH greater than 87 knots CAS; and

(2) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who provided the training specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section certifying that you are proficient in the operation of light-sport aircraft with a VHgreater than 87 knots CAS.

© The training and endorsements required by paragraph (a) of this section are not required if you have logged flight time as pilot in command of an aircraft with a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS prior to March 3, 2010.

The holder of a Sport Pilot Certificate will still need an endorsement for each Category (Airplane) and Class (Single-engine land or Single-engine sea, etc).

§ 61.321 How do I obtain privileges to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft

If you hold a sport pilot certificate and seek to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft, you must— (a) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who trained you on the applicable aeronautical knowledge areas specified in §61.309 and areas of operation specified in §61.311. The endorsement certifies you have met the aeronautical knowledge and flight proficiency requirements for the additional light-sport aircraft privilege you seek;

(b) Successfully complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other than the instructor who trained you on the aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation specified in §61.309 and 61.311 for the additional light-sport aircraft privilege you seek;

© Complete an application for those privileges on a form and in a manner acceptable to the FAA and present this application to the authorized instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section; and

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from the instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section certifying you are proficient in the applicable areas of operation and aeronautical knowledge areas, and that you are authorized for the additional category and class light-sport aircraft privilege.

Posted (edited)

According to my local LSA CFI, a float "rating" is only a sign off from a qualified instructor (he is qualified, but I don't know what qualifies him) when operating as a Sport Pilot.

Larry- regulations for SP instructors are just as stringent as for PP instructors it would appear. Unfortunately, there are only a tiny fraction of SP flight instructors compared to CFIs. For ex., I have had -zero- luck trying to find an SP flight instructor who has received HIS Airplane, Single-engine sea endorsement from an authorized instructor and is therefore able to provide me with a SP SES proficiency check.

§ 61.419 How do I obtain privileges to provide training in an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft?

If you hold a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating and seek to provide training in an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft you must— (a) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who trained you on the applicable areas of operation specified in §61.409 certifying you have met the aeronautical knowledge and flight proficiency requirements for the additional category and class flight instructor privilege you seek;

(b) Successfully complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other than the instructor who trained you on the areas specified in §61.409 for the additional category and class flight instructor privilege you seek;

© Complete an application for those privileges on a form and in a manner acceptable to the FAA and present this application to the authorized instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section; and

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from the instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section certifying you are proficient in the areas of operation and authorized for the additional category and class flight instructor privilege.

§ 61.421 May I give myself an endorsement?

No. If you hold a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating, you may not give yourself an endorsement for any certificate, privilege, rating, flight review, authorization, practical test, knowledge test, or proficiency check required by this part.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Larry- regulations for SP instructors are just as regulated as for PP instructors it would appear, except there are only a tiny fraction for SP. I have had -zero- luck trying to find an SP flight instructor who has received HIS Airplane, Single-engine sea endorsement from an authorized instructor and is therefore able to provide me with a SP SES proficiency check.

Doug, Larry,

Thanks for the input. Your answers were as I thought it would be. Get the training and the endorsement.

I think more questions like this should be discussed with people having the PP license wanting to just fly as a SP. That's my case,but I might get a 3rd class physical one more time just to make flying in a Citabria simpler.

Thanks again,

Jack

Posted

One more note about LS seaplane flying - I spoke with my LS CFI today and he added that there needs to be a second CFI to basically act as an examiner. Not an FAA person, just a second CFI to sign off that the training was satisfactory This will allow legal LS seaplane operations.

Posted

Thanks.

Jack

Posted

The need for two SP-CFIs qualified with the added endorsement compounds the problem. At the moment there's just not enough SP-CFIs and finding even one is an issue. First you need to find a SP-CFI qualified light-sport aircraft owner willing to train you in their personal aircraft (one guy does not a typical flight school make), or willing to train you in your own homebuilt or S-LSA. That's a problem because most CFIs won't step foot in an experimental aircraft, and most flight schools hire Comml/CFIs because a student's dual instruction toward the Sport Pilot rating can be applied toward higher ratings only if the instruction was given by a CFI (instruction given by a CFI-SP counts toward the sport pilot rating only). Then you gotta find another SP-CFI with the endorsement desired to do the proficiency check... in the other SP-CFIs personal plane!? I must tip my hats to the SP-CFI aviation enthusiasts taking all the trouble to make it happen. They are not doing it as an enterprise, rather as personal satisfaction for the promotion of light-sport aviation. I sure hope more follow their lead.

§ 61.321 How do I obtain privileges to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft?

If you hold a sport pilot certificate and seek to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft, you must—

(a) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who trained you on the applicable aeronautical knowledge areas specified in §61.309 and areas of operation specified in §61.311. The endorsement certifies you have met the aeronautical knowledge and flight proficiency requirements for the additional light-sport aircraft privilege you seek;

(b) Successfully complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other than the instructor who trained you on the aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation specified in §§61.309 and 61.311 for the additional light-sport aircraft privilege you seek;

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from the instructor who conducted the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section certifying you are proficient in the applicable areas of operation and aeronautical knowledge areas, and that you are authorized for the additional category and class light-sport aircraft privilege.

Posted

The need for two SP-CFIs qualified with the added endorsement compounds the problem. At the moment there's just not enough SP-CFIs and finding even one is an issue. ... I must tip my hats to the SP-CFI aviation enthusiasts taking all the trouble to make it happen. They are not doing it as an enterprise, rather as personal satisfaction for the promotion of light-sport aviation. I sure hope more follow their lead.

You need to take a trip out here.

We have a father/son CFI team of seaplane qualified instructors that can make this happen. Steve (the dad) is a LS-Seaplane Instructor and Brian (the son) is a "regular" CFI with every possible add on rating you can get. I'm sure that Paul S. (you know who I mean) could be able to whistle up a plane to use.

Posted (edited)

I will most definitely keep this in mind, actually not that hard since it may by the -only- option I can come up with. One question though... what do they use for a training aircraft, ie. have they been affected by the Jan. 31, 2010 E-LSA exemption expiration?

Source: EAA Light Plane World

Sport Pilot Rule Revisions Could Make Training Unnecessarily Burdensome

The training exemption for E-LSA used for flight instruction expired on January 31, 2010, causing many instructors to close their businesses and leave the sport they love. The FAA failed to develop guidance for the issuance of letters of deviation authority (LODAs) under §91.319(h), which would have allowed these experienced and knowledgeable instructors to continue to use their aircraft for training.

On February 1, the FAA published its revisions to the Sport Pilot Rule in the Federal Register. (See EAA’s comprehensive reaction to each of the rule changes.) One proposal adopted requires a pilot to receive training and an endorsement to operate an aircraft with a VH (maximum speed) less than or equal to 87 knots CAS. Pilot’s with logged pilot in command time in aircraft with VH less than 87 knots prior to March 3, 2010 will be grandfathered and not required to have the endorsement. With the majority of instructors leaving the sport and lack of qualified aircraft, students could find it difficult to comply with this new requirement possibly leading to unsafe self-training practices. Although the revision is mostly favorable, EAA feels that the adoption of this particular proposal could have a profound effect on the safety of the light-sport community. EAA does not disagree with the requirement to receive training in aircraft with a VH less than 87 knots. Low-Mass/High Drag airplanes, powered parachutes, and weight-shift control aircraft all have unique handling characteristics that would warrant such training.

Before January 31, 2010, there was a small fleet of E-LSA trainers available under §91.319(e). These aircraft were being used to provide safe flight training and bring new pilots into the light-sport community. The FAA had predicted there would be a sizable fleet of S-LSA able to replace and meet the training needs when the E-LSA training deviation expired. That fleet did not materialize and there isn’t a sufficient fleet to provide the required training. New student pilots could be forced to travel far to obtain required training.

Although the number of special-light-sport airplanes has grown substantially, and virtually all of them have a VH greater than 87 knots, all of the powered parachutes, weight-shift control, and gyroplanes have a VH less than 87 knots. The powered parachutes and weight-shift control categories currently have very few S-LSA available. Gyroplanes, although petitioning for inclusion, cannot be certificated as S-LSA.

The requirement to receive training and an endorsement to operate an aircraft with a VH less than or equal to 87 knots; the lack of S-LSA aircraft that meet that definition; the FAA’s failure to issue LODAs for E-LSA; and the lack of qualified and experienced instructors means the growth of this segment of recreational aviation will be severely limited and its safety adversely affected. In order to prevent that, EAA is encouraging the FAA to issue LODAs for primary training in E-LSA.

Edited by dholly

Posted

I will most definitely keep this in mind, actually not that hard since it may by the -only- option I can come up with. One question though... what do they use for a training aircraft, ie. have they been affected by the Jan. 31, 2010 E-LSA exemption expiration?

Short answer, yes. Steve was instructing in a Quicksilver MXLII, 2-seat ultralight.

Now he is instructing in his Champ, which btw was the "Outstanding Champ" winner of Airventure 2009. I got to fly it on skis this afternoon! :buttrock:

HOWEVER-- They do not have anything on floats. That may be the tricky bit... Send me your floats, I'll get the 1200 on them and ready for you. :BC: