Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buonasera

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, i'm Fabio, 25, from Italy.

I fly since when i was 17, my first aircraft was a Pioneer Flightstar 1, crashed on first flight after an engine failure, then a Quicksilver 2, a Kolb Firestar and now (well, i bought 3 years ago and flown for around 50 hrs) i own a beautiful Avid Flyer C 582 blue top on total restoration. (I hope is ready for the end of this month).

I literally fell in love with this inexpensive "hi performance" little plane,

I'm an ATP student and.......sorry for my poor english.

I hate aviation forums but i decided to follow this one because i think you're the only people who can really talk, appreciate and enjoy those beautiful and versatile little aircrafts.

Thanks for accept me, Fabio.

avid1.jpg

avid2.jpg

avid 3.jpg

avid 4.jpg

Posted

Ciao Fabio, welcome to the forum - your English is far far better than my Italian!! And you have a very nice looking project!

Posted

Thanks Rob :)

Posted

Welcome Airwolf.   Nice plane you are building.  We like photos and anything you want to write about is good on here.  Your "American" is lots better than my Italian too.  Hasta Luago.  I hope I didn't say anything bad!  Cheers,  EDMO

Posted

Welcome to the site Fabio.  This really is a good site, nice guys that are willing to help if they can.  I don't speak any Italian, but my wife does.  She was born in Floridia, Sicily.  Came to this country when she was fairly young so she doesn't have an accent, but she remained fluent in Italian.  Anyway, welcome.  JImChuk

Posted

oh, Sicily. I'm from the north, 100km east of Milan, a strategic place between Alps and sea! (nice flying :D )

Thanks EDMO, Hasta Luego is spanish btw :P

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

oh, Sicily. I'm from the north, 100km east of Milan, a strategic place between Alps and sea! (nice flying :D )

Thanks EDMO, Hasta Luego is spanish btw :P

Si Senor!  Ha!  Been 55 years since I was in Europe.  I spelled it right the first time but my computer said it was wrong?  ???   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

:welcome: 

Great job and Good Luck on your ATP! I certainly admire any Avid Flyer owner who can perform a quality build or restoration in Europe. It is hard enough for everyone with no factory support, thankfully we have a much higher number of 'parts planes' here in the U.S. that we can salvage through. Do you have the history of how and when your Avid came to Italy? I did notice that your header tank is on the left side behind the pilot, we generally mount it on the right side for easy reach and observation. Do you fly from the right seat? 

Posted (edited)

Hi Dholly, thanks.

I have 2 wing tanks for a total of roughly 20 USG. One left and one right, and i fly on the left seat.

The first Avid in Italy was in 1986. around 1989 started the import of some kits by Aerosport of Turin as a Dealer (now closed).

My kit is from late 80s, seat belts are from 1987 and i bought from the original and only owner, a friend of mine of my town now aged 75 who finished the kit around 1996.

In Italy is not like USA: we need a "tiny license" like LSA from single place weightshift Eippers  to Variable pitch, flaps and RG aircrafts like Tecnam Sierra or similar: legally is the same thing and even if you have PPL you can't put hours on your logbook, so people wanted more fast airplanes for fly like general aviation within a fraction of the cost, and by the late 90s airplanes like Avid went to other european countries where weight are checked more seriously. 

Before 1985 airplanes like Kitfox doesn't required any kind of license, just like your part 103 but without any restrictions about speed or fuel tanks: only a weight less than 900 lbs circa (still today never checked by administrations, because you fill your own paper and nobody cares what you say, if there is an accident and insurance decides to weight your plane is your issue). No investigations for accidents.

Today, in my country, we are in 2-3 original 2 strokes Avid and we search on american websites (Avid Fox Flyers :D ), old magazines/brochures and experience of old pilots and craftmen.

This website is very helpful expecially for overseas pilots.

Edited by Airwolf
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Fabio,

It is interesting to hear how different aviation certifications, rules and regulations can be between countries, thanks for sharing that. The header tank is the small cylindrical tank that both wing tanks drain into, I've never seen one behind the left seat. All the Avids I've ever seen including my Mk-IV had fuselage tabs to mount them behind the right seat (see pics). Just wondering why the builder of your Avid made this change? Or, do you have two header tanks, one on each side?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by dholly

Posted

At the time of the pic there was only the left tank "cylinder". I have also the right but was not yet installed on the plane at that time.

I never saw another Avid from real, but i have left and right tanks, left and right cylinders, and both are joined in one open/closed selector on the left in front of the pilot. No Left/Right tank selector, only a general ON/OFF for both.

When i go to the airplane i provide you some more detailled pics.

Posted

Welcome aboard!  Keep posting pics, we love them!  Most of us here have built or rebuilt the birds so we can help you out if you get stuck.

:BC: