Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Been on the road again

4 posts in this topic

Posted

So while everyone was celebrating their 3-4 day Memorial Day weekend I was on a whirlwind run through the Pacific dragging F-18s to Australia. 5210NM leg over water yesterday and just shy of 40 hrs since Friday and we aren't even home yet. Didn't have time to see much this trip but I can finally scratch Australia off the list. I also got to visit with my baby sister and her family in Okinawa for a few hours. Before anyone asks yes that remote control is mounted to a toilet and to be culturally diverse I tried every button! 

IMG_8508.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8531.JPG

IMG_8546.JPG

IMG_8548.JPG

IMG_8560.JPG

IMG_8563.JPG

IMG_8569.JPG

IMG_8573.JPG

IMG_8576.JPG

IMG_8584.JPG

IMG_8587.JPG

IMG_8597.JPG

IMG_8613.JPG

IMG_8616.JPG

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8629.JPG

IMG_8635.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8653.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

F18's to Australia?  I'm reminded of the old joke about fighter jock and the C130 driver, where the fighter guy says 'watch this', then does some aileron rolls around the C130.  The C130 pilot says, oh yeah, watch this!  Then continues flying straight and level for about 20 minutes.  The fighter guy says, what was that, I didn't see anything.  The C130 guy responds, 'I got up, fixed a pizza, and took a dump'.

Hopefully they were the new model F18's.  The originals you'd have needed a fleet of tankers with the F18 disconnecting from one and immediately lining up for the next one :-)

Mark

Posted

Australia is a real nice country. Was there in 95 with the NVANG. Last big deployment with the RF 4s. Everyone there wanted to look at our airplanes. Met a few gentlemen that flew B24s during WW II. It was a great trip. Anyways, enjoy it while you can Joey, it goes by real quick.

Rick

Posted (edited)

24 years of international flying and Australia was one I had the least amount of time in. I regret that. All my layovers down under were short and airport hotels. Only once did we get around Melbourne a bit. Soak up all you can.  It takes a long time to fly across the country. 

Edited by Torch
can't spell