New panel

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Spent the last 3 or 4 weeks updating my panel.  Not completely finished yet, but enough to post a pic anyway.  Using the Talos EFIS and an iFly740 gps.  Had to keep the water temp gauge, not too many of the EFIS offerings have a water temperature setting.  Also kept the tach, oil and egt.  Replaced the handheld with a MGL V10 (the little square box in the middle); highly recommend it!  Still have to label the breakers, light switches and put in an "experimental warning" on the panel.  All in all, a highly illuminating experience.  I now know why avionics guys charge so much for their labor.  And the Bandit is so very easy to work on.  With the cowling, panel and top off, it's 95% stand-up work.  Still took me three hard weeks and a pint or two of blood (I learned not to cut zip ties with a sharp angle).  Also recommend the Talos.  The people at wingsandwheels.net were absolutely great to work with.  I have both screens on swivels so they can be seen easily from either seat.   Was able to remove the vacuum system (all tubing and horn) as the gyro is electronic.  The 740 has internal sensors and a screen for analog-looking digital instruments for a backup (just in case), but both screens have 5-9 hour batteries.  And spending over 5 hours flying the Avid is something I'll try to avoid.  It was fun, but I don't think I'll try it again......

54VH early panel.jpg

54HV PANEL 10.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks great! I'm a big fan of a nice clean panel. Some folks severely over complicate them. 

Posted

Can you tell me more about the swivel mount you used for the iFly? I'm looking for a close-to-the-panel solution that rotates quickly. Also a good solid iPhone mount that swivels and rotates if anyone has suggestions. Thnx

Posted

I have always wondered why you would put all that money into a panel in a airplane that was intended to fly at 70 mph? No way would I consider a Avid or early Kitfox to be a cross country airplane. I fly my Bandit a hour and a half and I am ready to land and piss and stretch. Each to his own, but I like lite and simple. Don't get me wrong all those instruments are cool, but I like flying when I can look out the widow and enjoy the view rather than looking at instruments that I don't need.

4 people like this

Posted

dholly: I bought a holder for the iFly, then dismantled it and used the part I needed.  Will try to figure out what I used and let you know.

Bandit:  Read you loud and clear... Hardly ever looked at the analogs after I got used to the Avid, and probably won't look at the EFIS after the novelty wears off.  It was kinda like climbing a mountain.  I just wanted to see if I could do it.  This is my first experimental aircraft.  Have had to have an A&P looking over my shoulder ever since I've been flying, and now that I don't have to, I'm having a ball fixing stuff that don't need fixing to start with.  That same panel in my prior Tomahawk would have cost me around eight to ten grand and I probably have less than $2000 in the whole Avid panel.  Justified?  Nope... Fun?  Absolutely!

1 person likes this

Posted

Mark your just getting old hahaha... I do consider my Avid a cross country and have flown several 300NM legs in one shot before. Granted it sucks but it's possible. My home made ADS--B receiver and foreflight is as far as I'll go and that's only for weather. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey, I love to take my Avid places. AT 82 knots, it is faster than driving, and if you like seeing things from the air, have at it! Next week, I intend to go to New York City, and then to Maryland, about 2.6 hours total flight time. 

Posted

I have always wondered why you would put all that money into a panel in a airplane that was intended to fly at 70 mph? No way would I consider a Avid or early Kitfox to be a cross country airplane. I fly my Bandit a hour and a half and I am ready to land and piss and stretch. Each to his own, but I like lite and simple. Don't get me wrong all those instruments are cool, but I like flying when I can look out the widow and enjoy the view rather than looking at instruments that I don't need.

I am pretty much in your camp.. but I have found myself more than once wishing I had a bit more in my panel. Flying partial panel using seat of the pants in IMC is not on the top of my list as fun things to do.  I would have given one and quite possibly both testicles to have had an AH of any type in the panel.

:BC: