Access for fuel tank repair

29 posts in this topic

Posted

When I started pulling back the aluminum cover over the tank I found that the tank extends under the cap strips of both ribs. It would probably damage one or both ribs to remove so I have decided to just replace the covering and maybe try one of the sloshing sealers. If that doesn't work it will just have to remain inop until someone decides to rebuild the wing in the future.

Does anyone have any pictures of the aluminum tanks that Avid used on the early models? I am curious to know if this might have been a custom one off tank that the builder had made or if this is what Avid actually shipped with kits.

Thanks, Dan

Posted

What are the measurements of your tank ? 

Posted

The aluminum tanks Kitfox used were rectangular shaped.  Avid's tanks were also, except that the back, outside corner was not there to allow the diagonal wing brace to remain.  I do have some drawings somewhere that show them.  Not sure where they are right now.  JImChuk

Posted

The rear of the tank follows the diagonal wing brace at an angle from inboard rear to the next outboard rib then rectangular forward of that. It does have the airfoil shape over the top so it fits right under the cap strips. The welds look like they were done by a beginner with large sections that did not have penetration. The tank does not have any flanges. All edges are butt welds. I am keeping my fingers crossed that a sealant might fix the leak. I did notice that the fabric at the trailing edge cable of the "bat" wing is stitched along the edge. I am not sure how to do that but will have to figure it out I guess.