New gear

13 posts in this topic

Posted

l had this new gear built at Backcountry Super Cubs and picked up the Roberts strut to go on it.  It should be up and flying the first of next week.  One of the welders that worked at Avid now works for BCSC and welded up this gear.  I did a few things different.  Notice the wide base that attaches at the front mount and the rear, trigear mount.  Also the cabine now has it!s own mount position.  

I was going to go with the Grove Gear and had in fact ordered it but the 10-12 week wait time made me reconsider.  

We are planning a trip to Johnson Creek and the Idaho Backcountry over the 4th of July and would be happy to have anyone join us.

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Wow,  that's some nice looking landing gear.  Wonder if it would help to have a second cross piece halfway between the wheel and the fuselage.  Maybe would help to keep those long tubes from buckling/flexing  in a hard landing??? Not sure, mostly just wondering.  :-)    JimChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What are the 2 square pads on the floor for?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Wow,  that's some nice looking landing gear.  Wonder if it would help to have a second cross piece halfway between the wheel and the fuselage.  Maybe would help to keep those long tubes from buckling/flexing  in a hard landing??? Not sure, mostly just wondering.  :-)    JimChuk

With my short legs that second cross piece would be a handy step.   EDMO

Posted

Yes Jim my thoughts also,will be adding a bolt on angle to function as as a step.

The short answer Ed they are for old knees.  Those are foam pads for kneeling on while working.  They extend the number of hours I can work.  They were for the grandchildren to play with and not wanting to throw anything away they ended up at the hangar where they were quickly repurposed. 

2 people like this

Posted

Yes Jim my thoughts also,will be adding a bolt on angle to function as as a step.

The short answer Ed they are for old knees.  Those are foam pads for kneeling on while working.  They extend the number of hours I can work.  They were for the grandchildren to play with and not wanting to throw anything away they ended up at the hangar where they were quickly repurposed. 

I need thicker ones for my old knees!  Ha!  I thought maybe it was grounding pads for a welder - donno why - or some sort of weight scales as it looked like a wire or hose going to them.  Just have to ask when I see something I didn't know about.  Cheers,  EDMO

Posted

Sometimes it's kind of interesting to kind of look around the garage at the rest of the stuff, besides what the picture is about.  :-)  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Sometimes it's kind of interesting to kind of look around the garage at the rest of the stuff, besides what the picture is about.  :-)  JImChuk

If you looked around my shop, you would need therapy!  ;<)  My wife thinks I need it too!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok I see why you were thinking that Ed, that pad is actually laying on the air hose.  The foam is dense and works well.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok I see why you were thinking that Ed, that pad is actually laying on the air hose.  The foam is dense and works well.

I put a couple of the pads together and stacked 2 layers and gorilla taped them together.  Cheap and save my feet and knees and triple the time I can stand on the garage floor welding or at the work bench.  I have tried about every shoe or boot out there and standing on concrete kills me in a pretty short order.  The older I get the worse it gets.  I think ever work bench should have a row or two of those in front of them and a few loose ones for standing or kneeling on whenever you working in the shop.  I would really like to get the thick rubber restaurant kitchen mats but at 300 bucks a pop I will stick with the cheap foam mats!

:BC:

Posted

At least there is a horizontal tube between the cabane mounts. This should help save your longerons.

Posted

How much wider is it? Looks great. I wish I had gone with the Grove or something else.

BTW I swiped some knee pads from my friend's son after he quit skate boarding. They work really well for my old knees!!!

Posted

I set it up so that it would fit in a two track road around 66" center to center.

Knee pads are a good idea, I wear them when I'm caving for sure and rollerblading.  I know, i am getting to old to be doing those things but just can't quit.