Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Avid Mark IV owner

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Picked this Mark IV up out of California this weekend. Super clean and well built. It sat for a few years but looks very good with only some minor fixes. HH wing with double fails ribs and dual tanks. Fabric and paint looks great!! One aileron hangar needs repaired from the second owner not paying attention while folding the wing. Zero time SMOH and a new GSC three blade prop thats never been ran. It needs new brakes. Should have it ready to fly in a couple of weeks. 

1496700495404.jpg

20170603_122344.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

looks good, here I go looking around the edges again.  What is the fuselage that is on the left side of the new plane in the first picture?  JImChuk

Posted

Looks like shoulder strap.

Posted

Jimchuk, Good eye. That what's left over from a wrecked ( hauling mishap) Mark IV. I bought it for the salvage. 

Posted

I got a kick out of your comment.  You see I have only one eye.  I was popping a bull whip about 40 years ago, and hit myself in the other eye with it.  I was a carpenter by trade, but the last 20 years before I retired, I was a construction superintendent.  I've heard since then that the guys on the job would sometimes say behind my back, "he's only got one eye, but he doesn't  miss much"   I think I was a bit of a pain to work for at times. :-)  JImChuk

PS  what are you going to do with the fuselage? 

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh crap!! That's a funny story. I by no means ment any disrespect. My Grandfather lost his eye by a girl shooting him with a rubber band. He use to run into everything with mill equipment and his vehicles. The guys at the mill would to yell "use the other eye" everytime he ran into something. He died last year after he walked out in front of a car. He lived a long life and he is who I got my love of aviation from. Thanks for the reflection. 

The fuse was destroyed from rear wing attachments forward. If someone can use what's left I'd make them a hell of a deal on it. I'll be posting a list of stuff I'm getting rid of as soon as I get my new Mark IV flying.

1 person likes this

Posted

Got a picture or two of it?  JImChuk

Posted

Picked this Mark IV up out of California this weekend. Super clean and well built. It sat for a few years but looks very good with only some minor fixes. HH wing with double fails ribs and dual tanks. Fabric and paint looks great!! One aileron hangar needs repaired from the second owner not paying attention while folding the wing. Zero time SMOH and a new GSC three blade prop thats never been ran. It needs new brakes. Should have it ready to fly in a couple of weeks. 

1496700495404.jpg

Can you measure the windshield from side to side across the bottom ? I need to work on mine but it's a hour away and want to make the part before I got to the airport. 

Posted

Very nice, good luck.

Looks like an older landing gear! (no step)

Posted

1496700495404.jpg

Can you measure the windshield from side to side across the bottom ? I need to work on mine but it's a hour away and want to make the part before I got to the airport. 

The bottom of the windshield measures 42 3/4.

Posted

Oh crap!! That's a funny story. I by no means ment any disrespect. My Grandfather lost his eye by a girl shooting him with a rubber band. He use to run into everything with mill equipment and his vehicles. The guys at the mill would to yell "use the other eye" everytime he ran into something. He died last year after he walked out in front of a car. He lived a long life and he is who I got my love of aviation from. Thanks for the reflection. 

The fuse was destroyed from rear wing attachments forward. If someone can use what's left I'd make them a hell of a deal on it. I'll be posting a list of stuff I'm getting rid of as soon as I get my new Mark IV flying.

That destroyed part is exactly what I need for my Kitfox 3 - Rear of cabin forward.  Guess not this time!  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum as an owner Vance! Thanks for the Rudder! Glad we got to hang out for a few minutes. Thanks for stopping by! Those gear legs I have do have the steps. They were the later model ones. I'll measure them when I go out to the hangar to load up for Idaho and you can decide if you can use them. Matco still sells the calipers that are equivalent to what you have. I'd replace your calipers and go straight to the MC-4D MC's with the modified pedals like others have done. I can send you detailed pics. Sure you could fab em up pretty easy.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

That sounds great Joey. Bring those gear legs for sure. I have a set of Matco brakes off of the donor plane. Thanks for the pictures of the brake peddles. We will have to talk more about that mod.