Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Eggenfellner Aircraft 117hp Honda Fit Auto Conversion

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks pretty.

$9,900 for a USED Honda engine, and you have to sign a liability release form......

When they have over 10,000 in service around the world (like Rotax) maybe (or maybe not) I would consider putting my life behind one. Just my personal opinion.

Posted

Looks pretty.

$9,900 for a USED Honda engine, and you have to sign a liability release form......

When they have over 10,000 in service around the world (like Rotax) maybe (or maybe not) I would consider putting my life behind one. Just my personal opinion.

:lol: yeah, but you dont like flying over pine trees either :lmao:

Flight today was over open water... with big ole ice pans... oh, but that's OK, I got a 2 stroke and full lotus so me no scared :lol:

:BC:

post-2-12650922194042_thumb.jpg

post-2-12650922272945_thumb.jpg

post-2-12650922367727_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looking at the cost of a Rotax 912 and comparing it to the cost of a continental 100 I really wonder how rotax can get those prices more horsepower from the Continental and same price. If the installed weights I am hearing are right they should actually be close to the same weight, I can no longer see the advantage in the Rotax 4 stroke. With that said I only have about 100 hours on the 582 that is in the Avid A model that I am restoring and am not rich enough to buy the 4 stroke if I wanted to but I keep dreaming of the Fat Avid as my next plane.

Posted

I wonder how many successful flight hours were put on converted 2-stroke snowmobile engines before Rotax hit 10,000 units sold? I'm guessing a shitload. No idea how many flight hrs Egg has on their engine, but I found another apparently unrelated Honda Fit engine install now test flying a with an SDS EM-4 4F ECU system. Pic from http://sdsefi.com/. Flight time as of Dec. 10/09 is 33 hours. -woot- Application newness aside, a couple of things that strike me are 1.) at least Egg has an extended history of Sube auto conversions... although I get the impression the newer engines (not ea-81) may have been problematic (don't know if that is true) and 2.) the Honda is made to run at much higher rpm than the Sube, IMHO has an excellent chance to provide better longevity if they can get it set up right, and 3.) it fits a whole lot nicer than the 3-cyl Suzuki/Geo which has to be turned even more on its side for a tractor install. http://www.raven-rotor.com/ In any event, I like the idea of EFI and hope the engine works because it is not out of the range of possibility for our planes. We need more choices and I don't mean either right nut or left to Rotax for a new 912. Sadly, I am in the Camp of Can't Afford when it comes to a new build and finding a good low hr used 912 -in or out of a plane- has proved near impossible.

post-53-12651281932136_thumb.jpg

FWIW, I also saw a blurb on the SDS website that said they are developing a new injector boss with 17lb. Bosch injector for Jabiru 2200 and 3300 EFI installations.

post-53-12651288621425_thumb.jpg