Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Jim Chuk's post yesterday about losing sight in one eye reminded me that my aches and pains and loss of some strength in one arm is not too bad.  I have been riding & flying planes for about 65 years now and just turning 76 I have lived longer than any of my male ancestors.  I am always amazed at what handicaps others have overcome in life.  When I had one of my deaf daughters at the John Tracy Deaf Clinic in Los Angeles one summer I met a 70-year-old Dentist who was born deaf but who has been flying most of his life, currently flying a 182.  I asked him how he managed in the high traffic in California, and he replied, "Your other senses become more acute when you are handicapped.  I use my eyes more than most pilots, and I use the radio a lot to tell others where I am and what I am doing even though I cant hear them reply."  He said that they have fly-ins for deaf pilots too.   I once talked to a Social Worker Supervisor who was totally blind, and he said that he could not imagine how terrible it must be to go through life not being able to hear!  Life has more challenges for some than others.  All of us are lucky in some way even though our life may not be perfect.  The human spirit of meeting those challenges gets us through it, and sometimes makes us considerate of others.

Take a minute today and "Count your Blessings"!   Cheers,  EDMO    

Edited by EDMO
5 people like this

Posted

Jim Chuk's post yesterday about losing sight in one eye reminded me that my aches and pains and loss of some strength in one arm is not too bad.  I have been riding & flying planes for about 65 years now and just turning 76 I have lived longer than any of my male ancestors.  I am always amazed at what handicaps others have overcome in life.  When I had one of my deaf daughters at the John Tracy Deaf Clinic in Los Angeles one summer I met a 70-year-old Dentist who was born deaf but who has been flying most of his life, currently flying a 182.  I asked him how he managed in the high traffic in California, and he replied, "Your other senses become more acute when you are handicapped.  I use my eyes more than most pilots, and I use the radio a lot to tell others where I am and what I am doing even though I cant hear them reply."  He said that they have fly-ins for deaf pilots too.   I once talked to a Social Worker Supervisor who was totally blind, and he said that he could not imagine how terrible it must be to go through life not being able to hear!  Life has more challenges for some than others.  All of us are lucky in some way even though our life may not be perfect.  The human spirit of meeting those challenges gets us through it, and sometimes makes us considerate of others.

Could not have said it any better myself . I am 37 but put together with metal , screws and various other things from my bike riding career already. I had a car accident 3 years ago and woke up in CICU . I had about 50 staples in all holding each side of my head together and my forearm was broken in half . On the helicopter ride over I had to be jump started a couple times . I woke up about 6 hours after the accident to the surprise of the Doctors and nurses . They weren't sure if I was going to wake up . Now I try and spend every minute with my wife and 2 daughters that I can . My wife always says how there were plenty of times while I was in the hospital that she wouldn't know what to do if I didn't make it . I'm sure there are plenty of people worse off then me but that's my little story . 

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Could not have said it any better myself . I am 37 but put together with metal , screws and various other things from my bike riding career already. I had a car accident 3 years ago and woke up in CICU . I had about 50 staples in all holding each side of my head together and my forearm was broken in half . On the helicopter ride over I had to be jump started a couple times . I woke up about 6 hours after the accident to the surprise of the Doctors and nurses . They weren't sure if I was going to wake up . Now I try and spend every minute with my wife and 2 daughters that I can . My wife always says how there were plenty of times while I was in the hospital that she wouldn't know what to do if I didn't make it . I'm sure there are plenty of people worse off then me but that's my little story . 

Much AGREE!  You don't think much about life until after you go into the operating room not knowing if you will wake up again - been there!  25 years ago.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Much AGREE!  You don't think much about life until after you go into the operating room not knowing if you will wake up again - been there!  EDMO

Definitely true. I always put my family first even before the accident but after I won't miss anything they do for nothing . My oldest had her first cheerleading competition. I was supposed to work and the boss wasn't having it . I basically told him deal with me not working that Saturday or deal with me not working for him at all . Needless to say he saw it my way .  

05-06-12-50-24~21.jpg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

We just had a pilot in our Air Force Squadron who woke up and could barely walk his hip hurt so bad. Went to the ER and they were concerned enough to run a few extra tests. Within 3 days he went from a 33 year old DC-10 Aircraft Commander to being diagnosed with major cancer. After a 17 hour surgery the prognosis is pretty good but one cant help but think that could have been any one of us. I'm also 37 and living a pretty good life. One has to step back once in a while and put things into perspective. Really makes you extra pissed when you read about people shooting each other on the freeway because someone cut them off. There's always someone who's day was MUCH worse than yours!

Edited by C5Engineer
4 people like this

Posted

I've been very fortunate in life.  It hasn't been all roses, but overall I have nothing valid to complain about.  Life is good, and it beats the alternative.  Focus on what you have, not what you don't, and you'll always be happy.  When I was first married, we were eligible for food stamps (didn't need them, didn't take them), but today we live very well, still happy together after 35 years, two great kids, more vehicles than I can drive/fly, big house, etc.  There are people with a lot more, but unless one of my lottery tickets pays off, there always will be.  A lot of them don't seem all that happy to me, so I wouldn't trade with them.

Mark

3 people like this

Posted

.... There's always someone who's day was MUCH worse than yours!

Ain't that the truth. :BC:

Posted

All eye opening stories.  I'm in my mid 60's and lucky that my health is good.  All of the business I gave drs. was from self induced trauma, I kept the orthopedic surgeons busy with 14 years of driving 800 hp sprint cars. Right before I retired from flying I went and had a two hundred thousand mile check up from my family dr. who I only saw occasionally. I got a real physical instead of the pecker check / jump up and down on one foot the AME gives.  When your job depends on those first class medicals you avoid any drs. who might help send red flags to okla. city. I got a fairly clean slate but told to exercise more and eat better food.  I treadmill/elliptical train 3 mornings a week.  The yoga pants view is better in the afternoons but I like to get the exercise done in the AM as it keeps me going through the day.

Here is my sad paragraph,  I'm dealing with a brother who has stage four lung cancer. He is very ill. He has been getting chemo and radiation for the last six months but the drs. found a small tumor got to his brain. He is 66 years old and other than the cancer he has always been in good health. He is five hundred miles away from me, I travel once a month to see him. His wife is taking great care but she can only do so much. This isn't a tobacco rant but I hate smoking, always have. I've lost my mom, my dad and will lose my brother to smoking related illness.  If you have good health, appreciate it, if you don't there is much better technology to help you get better. Count your blessings.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

JUST COUNTED SOME BLESSINGS!  I always complain about the wife and daughter buying smelly candles and other "Air Fresheners" all thru the house, even the attached garage - A skunk just ran me out of the garage and the smell went thru the whole house!  That was the first time I told the wife to start spraying Lysol and Fabreze, and I even lit some smelly candles!  I hope my "Blessing" is that the skunk moved on!  Guess the other Blessing is that it wasn't a BEAR!   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

JUST COUNTED SOME BLESSINGS!  I always complain about the wife and daughter buying smelly candles and other "Air Fresheners" all thru the house, even the attached garage - A skunk just ran me out of the garage and the smell went thru the whole house!  That was the first time I told the wife to start spraying Lysol and Fabreze, and I even lit some smelly candles!  I hope my "Blessing" is that the skunk moved on!  Guess the other Blessing is that it wasn't a BEAR!   ;<)   EDMO

Maybe I should have put this in the JOKES section, but last night it didn't feel like a joke!  BTW:  That young skunk wont bother me again - someone ran over it last night in front of my house.  I used a shovel to carry it down into the woods this morning.  The only thing that smells worse than a dead skunk is a live skunk!   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If some of your 'stuff' got sprayed, Tractor Supply sells 'Skunk out' or something like that.  It is by all the dog shampoo stuff.  Our dog got sprayed BAD earlier this year, this was the only stuff that got the smell out.  And it was horrendous.

The poor dog didn't know what happened, he didn't even chase it, bark at it, or anything.  He came around the side of my truck, and apparently it was standing right there.  Sprayed down his whole side.  And of course, he immediately ran into the house and jumped on OUR bed before we figured out what was going on.......  It was a long night!

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

Mark,  The old-time cure was tomato juice bath - I wouldn't hesitate to try it quickly for dog or man.  Sending a PM in case.  EDMO

Posted

Poor thing didn't deserve that, here's one Anti-Skunk Recipe from our Vet if you are out of tomato juice:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Mix, wash, rinse, repeat

Posted (edited)

Back OT, here's one I like...

Charles%20Schultz%20Philosophy.pdf

Edited by dholly