Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Matco Brake conversion

36 posts in this topic

Posted

why not just use the KF gear legs :dunno: they should bolt right on and you wont have to fab or weld anything.

:BC:

Posted

The axles are both 3/4", so they *should* go right onto your existing gear legs. (I would use the new axles.) My opinion, I'd copy the 4-bolt flange that are on the 'Fox legs and have these copies welded onto your Avid gear legs. This flange is where you bolt the caliper brackets to.

Bolt it together and then start stoppin' on a dime....

(What tires did it come with? 8" wheels, right?)

They are the ATV tires that they shaved the lugs off of.

why not just use the KF gear legs :dunno: they should bolt right on and you wont have to fab or weld anything.

They came from an unfinished kit..it's all brand new. I doubt they are covered or anything. Either way this project is gonna be fun. I really really need to learn how to weld. It might be fun trying to weld on my gear legs without wrecking the fabric on them. Thanks for the info.

Posted

I don't know if the Model IV Kitfox legs will just bolt onto a B/C Avid. Do they?

Posted

That is great that they are making a 25" X 8" tire now and for $80, what a deal! I have been around this block and spent a lot of money getting to the end (I think...hmm, those 31" Bushwheels are mighty tempting though). I started out with the 8.00 turf tires, then got a set of the KF hubs and built a set of the 8" Douglas ATV rims with tabs welded in for the brake disc and put on a set of the 21X8 slicks. (wow, a great improvement). Then was looking at my 4-wheeler while out hunting one day and thought, why not do the same with 9" wheels, so I cut all the tread off of a set of 25X9 ATV tires and built another set of rims. (Still better!) Then I had the oppourtunity to buy a set of 26 Experimental Bushwheels (lighter construction) for a good price and they are even better yetbirthdayfriends.gif . My advice; save some money and go for the biggest ones you can afford from the startwink.gif . I attached some pics of the 21's on my Avid plus, 25's on the Avid with the caribou rack on the wing, and a few of the 26's I run on the Avid now.

For brakes I am installed the matco master cylinders with the remote reservoir and their triple puck brakes with a spacer on the solid side of the caliper so I could run my stock 1/4 " thick discs. They work great with the stock Avid pedals.

Randy

post-75-12660325075434_thumb.jpg

post-75-12660325739365_thumb.jpg

post-75-12660326699664_thumb.jpg

post-75-12660327453768_thumb.jpg

post-75-12660328680251_thumb.jpg

Posted

Oh, by the way, the 25X8X12 tires work fine on an 8"X 8" wide rim. That is what they are on in the pictures. Offset is 3" outside and 5" inside.

Randy

Posted

There must be no standard for size labeling of ATV tires.

Mine are labeled as 20x7x8 and they are on 8" diameter (OEM Kitfox) rims.

I would have taken a 25x8x12 as going on a 12" diameter rim.

Posted

Oh, by the way, the 25X8X12 tires work fine on an 8"X 8" wide rim. That is what they are on in the pictures. Offset is 3" outside and 5" inside.

Randy

What was the difference in performance between the different sizes? Did you notice any decrease in cruise speeds?

Posted

Joey,

I saw your msg kind of flash on the screen an then it went away. I think you asked which rams I'm using. Mine are MC-4A's if I remember correctly. I have brake pedals on both sides and will have a remote resevior.

Jack

Posted

PS..Mike shortned the shafts and recut the threads so they would fit better.

Jack

Posted

There must be no standard for size labeling of ATV tires.

Mine are labeled as 20x7x8 and they are on 8" diameter (OEM Kitfox) rims.

I would have taken a 25x8x12 as going on a 12" diameter rim.

I think I screwed up the convention. The tire sizes I used were 21" tall, 12" wide and 8" diameter rim. I mounted these on 8" diameter x8" wide rims. The 8" wide rims are plenty wide for the 12" wide tires.

The ATV tires that I cut the tread off of were 25" tall x 12" wide x 9" diameter rim. I looked around quite a bit and could never find a 25"x12"x8" tire (until now). That is why I built another set of rims with 9" diameter.

Randy

Posted

What was the difference in performance between the different sizes? Did you notice any decrease in cruise speeds?

There is probably some effect on cruise speed but I did this over a matter of years so I didn't really notice; and what I was looking for was the ground performance. My cruise is about 82 mph with the 26" tires. I think that if your cruise is already slow, they have less effect than if you had your plane and prop set up for higher cruise speeds like 100 mph; it would probably affect it a lot more at that speed.

Randy