Aileron attachment rib end repair

33 posts in this topic

Posted

The previous owner didnt pay attention whIle folding the wings and let one of the ailerons turn the wrong direction causing the inboard rib end to break off. The center attachment point broke out of the center of the other two wood peices. It's an easy repair. My question is what material (type of wood) and glue would you guys recommemd for this repair? I can post pictures tomorrow. 

Thank you

Rvsimons 

Posted (edited)

There is a Finland birch plywood that Aircraft Spruce sells that is metric sized - 6mm is about 1/4" - That's what I used for ribs and tails.  It has more plies than other plywoods.  The UK requires the .025 aluminum angles to be added to both sides of the tails.  I think it has to make the tails stronger.  The Service Bulletin has been posted on this site, probably in Files and Forms.   You maybe can still buy the parts from Kitfox or make them yourself.  I use Loctite Hysol 9460.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Pictures would be good.  This is the plywood that you should  use.   I might be able to make you something or else you can buy a smaller piece of plywood  from ebay or a hobby store instead of the 2' x 4' sheet with it's $35 shipping cost.  JImChuk

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

Posted (edited)

Pictures would be good.  This is the plywood that you should  use.   I might be able to make you something or else you can buy a smaller piece of plywood  from ebay or a hobby store instead of the 2' x 4' sheet with it's $35 shipping cost.  JImChuk

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

Sorry Jim,  My mind was on the basics.  I forgot to mention "The Jim Chuk Rib and Ribtail Factory" - after all, you have just recently started advertising!  Now thinking about it, I've got one Kitfox 3 wing with all the tails broken!  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I have a real good outlet for custom plywoods here in my home town call Windsor Plywood. I can even get small peices.

I'm interested in the .025 aluminum angle upgrade also.  I happen to be building a Zenith 701 and have a metal brake and just enough skill to make me dangerous :). Does anyone have a photo of this upgrade or could give me a good discription of how it's done? 

Thanks

Posted (edited)

How about this?  My added suggestion, unless you are using new undrilled wood, is to clamp one side on and drill thru the wood for matching the bolt holes, then put the other side on and drill opposite direction so all the bolt holes match without enlarging them.  Put bolts in and drill all rivet holes.  OK?  EDMO

Scan0458.jpg

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That's perfect. Is Hysol used to glue and rivet these into place?

This looks to be an open up the wing modification. I was hoping to repair this broken rib and get it in the air soon. Would you consider it exceptable to repair the rib now and open it all up this winter when I have time to do all of them at once and the plane is down due to weather?

Posted (edited)

That's perfect. Is Hysol used to glue and rivet these into place?

This looks to be an open up the wing modification. I was hoping to repair this broken rib and get it in the air soon. Would you consider it exceptable to repair the rib now and open it all up this winter when I have time to do all of them at once and the plane is down due to weather?

Yes, Hysol.  I would refer you to Jim Chuk on doing the repairs - I believe the best way is to open the wing and replace all the rib from rear spar to tail, but I know Jim has done repairs on Avid tails without that.  I made my metal a lot thicker than they show.   Photos would tell Jim a lot about what you have broken.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I busted a rib tail off once and fixed it without getting inside the wing.  Here is how I did it.  The rib tail had broke off on the inside bolt hole for the aileron hanger.  I glued it in place with epoxy and it worked fine.  The added aluminum side pieces are harder to do on a Avid rib.  The bottom capstrip comes out almost as far as the top capstrip.  There isn't the gap like the Kitfox has as shown in the drawing.  Last picture shows a regular Avid rib.   JImChuk

Photo0008.jpg

Photo0007.jpg

Photo0009.jpg

Photo0011.jpg

Posted

I'm having a hard time getting photos to load. Any suggestions?

Posted

I'm an antique - All I can tell you is that mine upload off of my camera card.  One guy with a phone had too many pixels and someone had to reduce the number of pixels or digits to get the photos to load.  Maybe someone who knows more can help you?   EDMO

Posted

Usually it is just too big, and has to be shrunk.  This is easy to do using the 'Paint' program that comes with Windows, you don't have to buy or download anything.  Just pull up the picture in Paint (usually it is under 'Accessories' or 'Windows Accessories' in your program list), then on the tool bar is a 'Resize' option.  Select it, and put '25' in the Horizontal box, the Vertical Box should automatically change to '25' also, then click OK.  Then do 'Save As', and change the file name so you don't overwrite your full size picture.  I usually just add '_small' to the file name right before the dot in the file name.  Then try to upload the 'small' version you just created, and I'll bet it will work.

If that doesn't work, email one to me at sires dot mark at gmail dot com and I'll fix it, and tell you how to fix the rest.  

Mark

Posted

Lets try this.

2017-06-13 11.17.59.jpg

Posted

2017-06-13 11.50.20.jpg

Posted

2017-06-13 11.51.52.jpg

Posted

Thank you for the help. I'm sending them from my phone. I found a way to resize the photo and save them into anot her file. Let the photo bomb begin.....

Posted

Looks like someone did some patching in the past that didn't work to well.  I have a feeling that there is some fabric work in your future.  I have the rib tails if you need one, or else see the post of how I did it, and do it your self.  JImChuk

Posted

Looks like someone did some patching in the past that didn't work to well.  I have a feeling that there is some fabric work in your future.  I have the rib tails if you need one, or else see the post of how I did it, and do it your self.  JImChuk

Exactly the thoughts I had before reading what Jim had to say.  Looks like at ribtail had been broken before and a bad repair made.  Now is the time to do it better.  EDMO

Posted

I would say they used an inferior glue. I was still able remove the glue just by scraping it off with the edge of a razor knife.

What do you charge for your rib ends JimChuk?

Posted (edited)

I would say they used an inferior glue. I was still able remove the glue just by scraping it off with the edge of a razor knife.

What do you charge for your rib ends JimChuk?

Not wanting to get in the middle, but there seems to be a piece missing in your photos since there is no bolt or rivet holes in the two forks you show.  I wonder if you made a temporary repair now and put a bolt or two thru thu a ribtail and the forks, also using 9460 there that you could get by until winter when you can tear it apart and do a better job with aluminum stiffeners too?  Jim may have a better or different thought about this?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

2017-06-13 12.50.00.jpg

Posted

2017-06-13 12.50.43.jpg

Posted

$20.00  each  plus shipping for the regular rib tails.    I do see another option that would involve less work and less tearing things apart.  You could very carefully remove part of the rib tail and install another piece in it's place with a couple of scabs on the sides of it to make it attach to the front part of the rib.  If you replace the entire rib tail, you will have to expose the cap strips that are glued to the fuel tank and then fiberglassed over.  The first couple of pics try to show a wing I took some pictures of to show this.  Have a look at this post to see how I repaired a few rib tails behind the spar using the partial rib tail and scabs.  I can send you one of those for $10 shipping included.  http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3373-broken-rib-tail-repair/#comment-25491   JImChuk

Photo0652.jpg

Photo0647.jpg

Photo0653.jpg

Photo0654.jpg

Photo0655.jpg

Photo0657.jpg

Photo0658.jpg

Posted (edited)

Butting in again:  Does he have a Kitfox or Avid?  Root rib looks like Kitfox?  Bottom capstrip does not go to trailing edge.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have an Avid Mark IV with HH wing. The wing was built with double false ribs.