Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Leading Edge Landing Light Install

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Attached is documentation of a AeroLED landing light installed in a leading edge I just happened upon. As someone who agonized over a 1/8" spar scratch that barely caught a fingernail, I am astounded at what I see in these pictures. What say you?

Aeroleds Landing Light Installation in the Leading.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted

After seeing the scratch on your spar, and this mod, do you feel a bit anal retentive? LOL

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm. I wonder what the load on the spar is at the very tip like that... ? Warm fuzzy meter reading of 3.72.

My landing lights (on the yellow plane) are in the wingtips. Zero structural impact.

post-36-12652488314658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Hey Russ - how are the umbrella drinks and bikini watching this year? Get that TW endorsement done yet?

Larry - if I'm not mistaken the Avid manual says any scratch that catches a fingernail AND is within 18" of the spar root attach bolt/pin holes or lift strut rivet is prohibited because of potential stress riser. Was OK to polish out very minor shallow scratches along the entire spar, but I can't recall the max depth at which that is no longer recommended. At any rate, even at the tip location shown, it goes against my grain. It looks like they've removed close to 50% of the spar integrity and there's a crap load of rivet and nutplate holes in the remainder. I dunno?

I do like the LED landing/taxi lights and I'll probably go the easy way with one in the lower cowl. But I like that wig wag recognition too. If you want to keep your landing and recognition lights separate you could do a pair of 15 lamp LED strobes with a wig wag controller for about $60 here > http://www.mpglighting.com

Posted

http://www.visionxoffroad.com/led/s1100/

This is the light I use. Works great and is damn bright when looking at it from the air and ground.. when you cant see anything else on my plane, you can see that landing light a long ways away! The amp draw is what convinced me to spend the $ on it. I also got one for a helmet light on my sled. Best damn helmet light I have used! Really lights up the trees for good night riding

:BC:

Posted

@Doug - I've considered updating the lights in my wingtips for LEDs eventually. Funds are tight now, being newly self employed... The lights I have now draw quite a bit. There is a low and high beam so with everything lit they are very bright but quickly overpower the wimpy 912 alternator and my small battery. Doing the wig-wag at that time, too, is mandatory, IMO.

@Leni - You must have super neck muscles to have all this shi--stuff on you head when you go sledding. Camera, light, pointy spike like the red baron...