Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Second set of eyes Rotax 582

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I wanted to share a few photos of the engine on my Avid Mark IV. It's a gray head 582. It's never ran since rebuilt. The engine was pickled before stored.  I don't care for the braided lines. I have a few things to change. The carb sockets, throttle cable adjuster cover grommets, and a few fuel and oil lines. No gas was left in the carbs. 

Please look over the pictures and let me know what you think. It's always good to have a second set of eyes. 

2017-06-13 17.58.03.jpg

2017-06-13 17.57.04.jpg

2017-06-13 17.56.41.jpg

Posted

2017-06-13 17.55.52.jpg

2017-06-13 17.55.26.jpg

2017-06-13 17.55.09.jpg

Posted

2017-06-13 17.54.20.jpg

2017-06-13 17.53.18.jpg

2017-06-13 17.52.23.jpg

Posted

2017-06-13 17.51.49.jpg

2017-06-13 17.51.13.jpg

Posted

Id replace everything Rubber under there. Reminder the pulse line is its own type line. Get your carb sockets from JBM industries. I prefer brass T's for my primer lines over the plastic. Bear Perkins sells em. The coolant breather line dry rots. Also check your RV reservoir cap for cracks. If you make an order with bear his carb unification plate is sweet. PS those gear legs are Dad's shop. Got his approval to fly the PPC today after a chute and airframe inspection. 

IMG_8853.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Thats good news Joey. Hope you have a great flight. Hope your Pops goes up with you. He needs some airtime.

My Dad is coming down that way next week to look at some property. I'll have him swing in and grab those gear legs. 

Thank you for the input. Ill look Bear Perkins up. 

Vance

Posted

A few things,I don't see a filter on the oil injection it may be near the tank which isn't shown.If you have the line off make sure the system has no air in it,and run premix until you are sure the pump is delivering the right amount of oil.

I am unfamiliar with inverted mount setup but the steam vent on the head would need to be in another location?

Posted

Looks like your coolant hose (between your head nozzle and first radiator is a bit kinked), might get worse when things get warm.

1 person likes this

Posted

I can not stress strongly enough to safe tie your throttle cables at the carbs, this omission added to the problem that resulted in the unfortunate retirement of my KF3. The pic is from my 912 but shows what I mean.

image.jpeg

Posted

dholly; What did you use to safety too on the plastic cable? Mike

Posted

Not saying it's a bad idea Doug, but I never have seen that done before.  Maybe I just don't get out much.  :-)   JImChuk

Posted

If those are paper element fuel filters feeding the carbs, try to replace with a stainless mesh or fiber type.  If the paper element ever picks up some water it will adsorb and can block flow.

Posted

I can not stress strongly enough to safe tie your throttle cables at the carbs, this omission added to the problem that resulted in the unfortunate retirement of my KF3. The pic is from my 912 but shows what I mean.

I drilled and tapped the sockets which the cables go into to lock them in place with a set screw.  Throttle and enrichener.

Posted

Rotax inverted installation eliminates the vent line from the cylinder head. Probably won't hurt anything except has extra weight and potential failure points.

Posted

Mike - I just used the lightest SS safety wire I had on hand. Heck, even a couple zip ties are better than nothing IMO.

Posted

image.jpeg

Great idea! Thanks for sharing that. I'd definitely be safety wiring those connections. 

Posted

Here's Mike Stratman's hint on how to secure the throttle cables on the 582 carbs.  Bottom of the second page  http://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part52.pdf

Carb Top E
1 person likes this

Posted

A few things,I don't see a filter on the oil injection it may be near the tank which isn't shown.If you have the line off make sure the system has no air in it,and run premix until you are sure the pump is delivering the right amount of oil.

I am unfamiliar with inverted mount setup but the steam vent on the head would need to be in another location?

Dusty you are correct. There was no filter on the incoming oil injection line. I will order and install one. I will run premix while monitoring oil injection levels. Someone said the steam vent line was not needed on the inverted installation. I will verify and remove it if it's not required. Thank you for the input.

Posted

Rotax inverted installation eliminates the vent line from the cylinder head. Probably won't hurt anything except has extra weight and potential failure points.

You are correct. After reading the Rotax manual it was confirmed that no steam line is needed for inverted engines. Thank you for the heads up.

Posted

You are correct. After reading the Rotax manual it was confirmed that no steam line is needed for inverted engines. Thank you for the heads up.

You're very welcome, glad to help.