Replacing hoses on a Rotax 582

12 posts in this topic

Posted

My engine sat for several years. Most of the hoses look good. Anything that had 2 stroke oil in them is ruined. Even the small feeder lines from the injector pump to the intakes are hardened. Those little clips look like something that needs replaced once removed. 

My question is.....what outlets are you guys using for hoses and what type. Are you guys using something other than the standard blue 1/4 line for the oil injector lines? I used car type black fuel injection hose on my Zenith 701 project. It's good quality hose but a bit expensive. I used it in areas where access was limited like the fuel tank inside the wings.

Radiator hoses look good. All the small lines on this engine are SS braided. Seems a bit overkill and a lot of uneeded weight. 

Posted

2017-06-13 17.53.18.jpg

Posted

I would honestly get rid of the oil injection but that's just me . I went to the auto parts store for all my hoses . If it's been sitting that long you might as well replace them all . That way you can have it in your logbook and the hours on the hoses would be the same . Unrelated but just something I do is change my landing gear bungee every 2 years . I figure it's under constant load just sitting to so might as well put in fresh ones . I pretty much do the same with engine hoses . With them sitting there could be internal rotting. I learned the hard way with that one . When I got my plane it just had a annual done and I inspected the hoses before every flight. I missed a small pin hole in my fuel line going to my front carb and on taxi , take off it was good . I reached about 200ft and had a sudden loss of power. I skimmed the trees and landed . I pulled the cowl looked around didn't see anything. For some reason I grabbed my fuel lines and saw a little fuel come out . I replaced it and the problem was gone . I learned that even if it looks good for being a few years old replace it anyway . I was always taught there's no pulling over in the air.  

Posted

I would honestly get rid of the oil injection but that's just me . I went to the auto parts store for all my hoses . If it's been sitting that long you might as well replace them all . That way you can have it in your logbook and the hours on the hoses would be the same . Unrelated but just something I do is change my landing gear bungee every 2 years . I figure it's under constant load just sitting to so might as well put in fresh ones . I pretty much do the same with engine hoses . With them sitting there could be internal rotting. I learned the hard way with that one . When I got my plane it just had a annual done and I inspected the hoses before every flight. I missed a small pin hole in my fuel line going to my front carb and on taxi , take off it was good . I reached about 200ft and had a sudden loss of power. I skimmed the trees and landed . I pulled the cowl looked around didn't see anything. For some reason I grabbed my fuel lines and saw a little fuel come out . I replaced it and the problem was gone . I learned that even if it looks good for being a few years old replace it anyway . I was always taught there's no pulling over in the air.  

Great points. Yes I too am on the fence with the oil injection. I have heard opinions on both sides. I have a good friend with a challenger who runs the oil injectors and has for years with no issues. I have to admit with the type of flying in plan to do oil injection would make it easier on trying to mix and add fuel when away from my local airport. Has anyone here actually had a failure?

Joey mentioned to replace the bungee's. What are people using to replace these old bungees and where are they buying the supplies?

Thank you

Vance

Posted

I had a failure on a dirt bike when I was younger and ever since then out it goes. Plus I've heard that with injection in the plans the ratio varies up and down . A 582 says 50:1 so that's where mines at . A ratio cup and some oil tucked away could take place of your oil tank with a compartment. When they sold penzoil pints that was simple for me it was one can per 3 gallons to get my 50:1 . I now use the brp oil that comes as a gallon and when flying long enough to refuel I fill a few of my empty penzoil cans and mix it on in . Several ways to skin a cat as they say but that's what I do . As for the bungee I think I ordered mine from ebay and made it . There's a YouTube video by someone named kitfox flyer I believe. Anyway I watched his video and my dad and I had them knocked out in about 30 minutes. I used 3/8 size bungee and it's holding up great but it's also coming up on 2 years and I plan on replacing them .

Posted

I went through some old posts. The Bungee's are totally doable. I just need a better explanation on how to make the wire wrap. My old bungees have a pressed collar.

Posted

I went through some old posts. The Bungee's are totally doable. I just need a better explanation on how to make the wire wrap. My old bungees have a pressed collar.

I made a loop around the vise handle and held it tight while my dad wrapped the bungee with thick safety wire then we used electric tape around the wire . It's held up for 2 years so I am going to do it like that again. 

Posted

This is how I do the loops in the bungees.  With the first loop held in place in a vice, I double wrap the loop with safety wire, pull it real tight, do a twist or two on the wire to lock it, then do a couple more wraps and pull it up tight and twist the wire real good.  Cut the wire off leaving about 1/2" of twists, bend it over flat, and tape over the wire with electrical tape to keep the wire end in where it wont rub on any thing.  For the second loop, I have a helper holding the bungee in place,  and I tie the safety wire like the first loop was done, except now the helper  is the vice.  I buy at least an extra foot of bungee for both sides, and pull it all through on the first side.  After it's tied off and then cut off, I do the second side.  The advantage of this is the helper has something to hold onto while you are trying to tie off the second loop on each bungee.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Could you send a pic of short video? I need to replace my bungees.

Thanks in advance

Posted

Don't really have any pictures or vids of it.  Kitfox Dave had one on utube, it's for a Kitfox, so the seat truss is a bit different, but maybe you'll get the idea.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks- I’ve watched several videos of the replacement I’ve not found one yet on how to fashion the loops. There is powerfully little data out there on material selection either. Some have mentioned using bungee chord from a home supply store, others buy theirs from AS, one guy mentioned getting it from eBay....sketchy I should think. Wish me luck- my plan is to knock this out tomorrow

Posted

The hardware store stuff is not any good.  At least not for your purpose.  Get the 3/8" shock cord from Aircraft Spruce.  JImChuk

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/shockcord.php