Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel gauge options??

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My Mark IV does not have fuel gauges. It has fiberglass tanks in both wings and no provision was made to install anything. No sight glass...nothing. I have sent an email to Belite to see what options they have. I saw a sight glass kit on Bear Perkins PPG site for $17.00 but that would mean drilling two holes in the side of each tank. I'm looking for simple.

I'm wondering what you guys have used. 

Thanks

Rvsimons 

Edited by rvsimons
Spelling

Posted

I don't think you can use the Bear Perkins kit - I bought one and think it was a waste of money.  You can run a clear tube up from your header and loop it up to about the top of the wing tank into a fitting and use that for a sight gage, or epoxy some blocks onto the sides of the tank, drill & tap them for fittings, and make a sight gage like Kitfox uses.   The bottom fitting needs a 1/16 diameter reducer inside of it to keep the fuel in the sight gage at a more constant level, or so Kitfox says.   EDMO

Posted

Thank you EDMO. That's good info. I also have this crazy vent to mod.

2017-06-16 22.28.18.jpg

Posted

Yes that setup will drain the tank in flight.  I tried the "candy cane" style vent in the sme location with the same results. Ended up with a vent pointed slightly off, into the wind squeezed mostly closed that at cruise reads accurate.  On the other wing I cleaned the paint from the end of the tank so the fuel is visible and calibrated the levels in level flight. I like Ed's suggestion but could not bring myself to pierce the tank.

Posted (edited)

The end of the tank should not have been painted.  The tanks are translucent and you can see the fuel level through the side of the tank.  (that is until they get painted over)   :-(   Maybe you can clean the paint off the end of the tank.  I ran a piece of tape up the tank,  marked one side parked, the other side flying, then marked in each position as I added 2 gallons at a time.  You have to lift the tail up to the flying attitude to get the flying reading.   As far as the header vent line goes, put a cheap snowmobile type fuel valve in the line.  Open the valve before flight to let any air out of the header tank, and then close the valve and leave it closed while flying.  Fuel will get sucked out the vent line if it's open.  JImChuk

PS  Sorry Paul, I didn't read your post till after I posted mine. 

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

It has been so long since I bought Bear Perkins sight tube and fittings that I forget exactly why you cant use them - Believe that the fittings require you to put nut on from inside of tank, or that they fit in a rubber bushing inserted into tanks - anyway, I decided they were not what I wanted to try to use. 

One other thing that he sells is the red pellets that float on the fuel and give you a better indication of where the fuel level is.  Many beads or pellets that you might think will work will either sink or get dissolved by the gas.   You may need larger sight tubes to use them.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I put a fitting in for my extended range fuel tank, with a brass threaded fitting that miked out as 3/8" actual, and I used a 3/8" drill (and some small prayers). I covered the threads of the fitting with Permatex fuel tank repair epoxy, as a sealer, and it all worked perfectly. If I weren't so lazy, I'd put the fuel gauge tube there, too. Be sure the fitting fits properly when you fold and unfold, of course.

11427329_10204564367731944_5066401028737362287_o.jpg

Posted (edited)

If anybody is fabricating their own sight gauges I have used Univair part # U10853-000 Piper sight gauge float ball.  They seem to be impervious to any type fuel and are bright orange. They run about five or six bucks ea.  Worth it, they last.  These are meant for a super cub style tube gauge or home brew type tube gauges.

Edited by Torch
can't spell

Posted

It has been so long since I bought Bear Perkins sight tube and fittings that I forget exactly why you cant use them - Believe that the fittings require you to put nut on from inside of tank, or that they fit in a rubber bushing inserted into tanks - anyway, I decided they were not what I wanted to try to use. 

One other thing that he sells is the red pellets that float on the fuel and give you a better indication of where the fuel level is.  Many beads or pellets that you might think will work will either sink or get dissolved by the gas.   You may need larger sight tubes to use them.    EDMO

Yes the Bear site gauge uses a rubber gromments that you drill a hole for and insert it and a 90 degee elbow. This is the same thing I used on the 10 gallon Phantom Ultralight tanks. They do work but I can't get past drilling the hole. Later Phantom came out with a kit that used a threaded  aluminum flange that you glued (pro-seal) and riveted over a hole you drilled through the side of the fiberglass tank. They worked great but I don't believe the Avid has room for this. 

I like the idea of cleaning off the paint but it appears whomever glassed the tanks in added same extra layers over the end. I'll post pictures. 

2017-06-16 22.27.06.jpg

Posted

My Kitfox tanks have all been factory drilled and threaded for the sightgage fittings - I have been meaning to examine them closer to see if there is extra material in those spots or if it is just tank thickness.   EDMO