Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Going to look at a KF 1 on wednesday

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Going to look at a Kitfox model 1 on Wednesday and have a few questions. It has not flown for a couple years, what should I look at? As an A&P I will look at all the airframe items I would usually check. I am new, new, new to the 2smoke world, I just love that term, this one has a 532 single ignition for an engine. I have talked with the A&P that had been signing off the condition inspection for the last 5 years and he claims it is a solid little airplane, not sure of his experience with EAB though. The current owner is not the builder so I will check over the paperwork that they have. How important is it to get get the build log/manual with the airplane? They claim the plane has been flown 460 hours since completion. My intention is to have something to fly while I build the Raven and this would fill that bill as well as providing the perfect Mexican blueprint for my project. One thought I am kicking around would be to install the 582 on this plane, not fond of single ignition airplanes. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Mike

watermarked_831442b3b211043117b3170c0f117314.jpg

watermarked_4056db69fd4d8334ba3cb454e5a90e8d.jpg

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted

Obviously, looking at the overall condition of the airplane is important.  Specific issues, look at the rib tails for evidence of rot or weakness.  Excessive slop in the controls, wiring, fuel lines, are wingtanks aluminum or fiberglass?  What is the gross weight of the plane?  Early Kitfox 1s had round tube for the spars, later ones used an extruded tube that had a center stiffener that ran full length.  The heavier spar gave the plane a 950 gross weight compared to 850 for the earlier ones.   Swapping the 582 for the 532 should not be much of a problem.  Same mount, same prop if the same ratio gearbox is used.  Need a different tack though if the 532 was a points engine which is most likely.  The 532 probably doesn't have oil injection, so no oil tank and such in place if you want to run oil injection on the 582.  If it was me, I would have the 582 torn down and inspected inside and have new seals installed in it.  Even if the engine never ran, it was probably manufactured 20 - 25 years ago, and there is a possibility of rust on bearings or deteriation of the seals.   As long as the paperwork is in order, I see no legal reason to have the builders log.  If the FAA registration is in order (run the N # on the FAA website) and there is no lien or taxes owed on the plane, paperwork shouldn't be an issue I would think.  Just a few random thoughts that came to me.   JImChuk

Posted

I saw that ad and that might be a good deal. Consider it has an existing C of A and if it hasn't been seriously wounded with a botched repair then it is probably a good buy. Having a trailer is a plus. I know nothing about the engines but good advice above. Logs are nice but anybody can write a story in log books. A good look is going to tell you if anything in the logs match up.  Since you have an A&P certificate you don't have to even see a fed. , rebuild what you see necessary and sign off a condition inspection.  DAR's in my area are expensive. The last guy I know that had a homebuilt inspected by an independent DAR here was 750 bucks plus his travel expenses for a 300 mile round trip. That might be a nice drive, that location is dam near the yoop.

Posted

The nice part for me is the plane is actually located in Houghton Lake. Mike

Posted (edited)

Well I went at looked at Kitfox S/N 107 today, it was in very good shape with all of its paperwork! 

DSC00133.JPG

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00135.JPG

DSC00136.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00138.JPG

DSC00139.JPG

DSC00140.JPG

DSC00141.JPG

DSC00142.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00146.JPG              

It will need a good cleaning and inspection but will make a fine flying machine for me! Should be in my garage next week. Mike

Edited by ppilotmike
1 person likes this

Posted

Did you take those pictures at your house?

Posted

The next batch will be at my house! Mike

Posted

Awesome. Count me jealous.  Looks like a solid airplane in need of a new owner. 

Posted

It was kind of sad in a way, the one guy is 81, in bad health, he started flying in the 50's. His partner was in his 70's and never got his PPL, but flew UL's extensively, he had a Kolb there for sale as well. The older of the two lite right up when I fired it up, he even offered to mow a strip if I wanted to fly it, I could see in his eyes the aviation lust. He is suffering from cancer and other health problems and his time is short. Mike

Posted (edited)

It was kind of sad in a way, the one guy is 81, in bad health, he started flying in the 50's. His partner was in his 70's and never got his PPL, but flew UL's extensively, he had a Kolb there for sale as well. The older of the two lite right up when I fired it up, he even offered to mow a strip if I wanted to fly it, I could see in his eyes the aviation lust. He is suffering from cancer and other health problems and his time is short. Mike

Mike,  Sounds like you put some happiness in his day.  Probably the idea of meeting the flyer getting the plane meant more to him than the money he got for it.  I hope that someday someone younger will get my project and enjoy the work I have done.  Congrats,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just a thought. It would be interesting to know what that ship weighs just as you got it. 

Posted (edited)

As promised, pics in front of my house.  I am going to have to do some serious rearranging because it is about 8 inches to long to fit in the garage. Mike

DSC00148.JPG

This is where I picked it up.

DSC00147.JPG

Outboard wing support, I think I might have done it differently.DSC00149.JPG

Lower attach point.

DSC00150.JPG

Upper attach point.

DSC00151.JPG

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted (edited)

Nice looking bird.  You can always make the wingtips removable, so it fits in the garage.   Are those vinyl decals on the sides, or painted on?   Congrats,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Well a little rearranging and it fits, barely, but it fits.

DSC00166.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

This will be my last post in this thread as I have started another thread to chronicle my life life with CD over in the KF1 section. Mike

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted

Well a little rearranging and it fits, barely, but it fits.

DSC00166.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

This will be my last post in this thread as I have started another thread to chronicle my life life with CD over in the KF1 section. Mike

Hopefully the wife will get used to parking outside...... ;-)  JImChuk

Posted

No wife, happy life. Living the good life since Nov 1979 ;-). Mike

Posted

Fits with room to spare.  When I run out of space I build another building.  

Posted

boy I would hate to start doing the laundry again.

1 person likes this

Posted

boy I would hate to start doing the laundry again.

Laundry, cooking and cleaning Uuuugh . So glad I have a wife that stuck around through some hard and difficult times . I still do a lot of cooking bit the rest of the house work would be a pain . Nice looking plane though , makes me want to start building another one soon.