Moving the throttle position

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone moved there throttle to the right side? I also am not a fan of the push button lock throttle. 

Posted

I use the push button system . It works in GA planes and in my opinion is better . You can adjust your idle with a twist . Moving it might be a pain in the ass with having to make a new system. 

1 person likes this

Posted

When I was about to start flying my first Avid, I wondered how I would switch hands, cause it was the opposite of what I was used to.  Over the years I've heard many other people ask the same question as you.  Like me, most of them did a bunch of taxeing in their plane and got used to it where it was.  I would recommend the same for you.  If you do any training with someone used to Avids, they will be right along side you to help you through the transition.  I really like the venier throttle system, real easy to make small throttle changes.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm pretty sure almost everyone here flew spam cans at one point . Those are pretty much configured like our avids . Only difference is we have stick vs wheel . Throttle is in the same spot and the same all together. I'm left handed and flew many stick and rudder planes with my right hand controlling and left for throttle. Avid is a easy plane to fly the way it is and the throttle set up works great . 

2 people like this

Posted

Most of the side by side light airplanes (exp. and certified) are too narrow for the throttle on the left.  Seems like muscle memory helps you adapt from one to another as long as you stay current.  I know a guy with a sonex that has his throttle on the left in an awkward spot and has to be very careful climbing in and out. I like verniers too.

1 person likes this

Posted

Has anyone moved there throttle to the right side? I also am not a fan of the push button lock throttle. 

?? My Avid throttle is on the right side of the pilot, in the middle of the panel.  This is where it is on every side by side certified plane I've ever flown also, so I never thought it was in the 'wrong' place.  I prefer the vernier throttles, very good fine control turning the knob, and for big changes just push the knob.  In a tight plane like an Avid, it is nice to not worry about hitting the throttle by accident when reaching for the radio (not that I've ever done that.....)

Mark

Posted

I didn't come from the GA side of aviation. My first few planes were Ultralights like the Quicksilver, Phantom, and J-3 Kitten all of which had side throttles. My Light Sport trainer was a Champ 7AC with a side throttle. My last Avid also had a right mounted throttle. I appreciate all the feed back and trust your input. I will give this set up a shot and see how I like it. 

Vance

Posted (edited)

I have flown the Cessnas and others with center throttle and wheels - usually from left seat - also Pipers and others with left side lever throttle and right hand on stick.  On my Foxy I plan on a center lever throttle mounted near the seat that I will use with my left hand while flying from the right seat because I can reach a close-mounted throttle easier.  The center throttle, no matter which type, will let you fly from the seat you are most comfortable in.   I have an injured right shoulder and it is easier for me to use the stick with right hand than reaching forward for the throttle with that arm.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

I just watched Freds movie post and noticed he has his throttle on his left side. Mike