Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

991CD and me

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I will use this thread to document my ownership of 991CD, model 1 S/N 207. My intended use for this bird is to quickly get me back in the air so the first round of maintenance will include a very good condition inspection and repair of airworthiness items I find. I also intend to put CD on a diet. The first weight reduction is the removal of the BRS chute system, it is out of date and the webbing looks questionable anyway. Today I removed the interior and the BRS and started looking over the airframe. The first step was a wash job, boy is this plane dirty!

DSC00142.JPG

BRS, rocket/chute container, 22lBS.

DSC00158.JPG

All that remains is some of the webbing.

DSC00157.JPG

I assume this is the infamous "Jesus" bolt. Should I modify the airframe now with another bracket or could I put that off for a winter project?

DSC00159.JPG

This  area of the gear looks a little hillbilly, if you look close you can see where the safety cable has cut right thru the metal doubler inside the airframe, gotta love duct tape repairs!

DSC00160.JPG

As corny as it looks, it seems to have been this way for a while. I think I will leave this for later unless it taxis weird.

DSC00154.JPG

DSC00161.JPG

Small hole in the fabric. Having never done any fabric repair, could I leave this for later and can I patch it from the inside?

DSC00155.JPG

Anyone recognize this stamping I am pretty sure it is covered with Stits as there is lots of red, what looks like polybrush inside?

DSC00156.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

Every thing looks pretty good in the control system and there is very little slop.

DSC00162.JPG

Small fuel leak, looks like someone has been chasing this before, I have some good sealer that should get me through the flying season.

DSC00163.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

Hard to see in this picture but the spars appear to have been sloshed with some kind of primer, maybe zinc chromate. Well thats it for this episode back to work tomorrow. Mike

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted

Fix it in the winter fly it now. You'll be fine.

Posted (edited)

Reading the fabric stamp upside down and reversed I can see:

"FAA PMA APPROVED

SEE CECONITE 103

ELIGIBILITY"

I can't read what it say before the SEE, so maybe an STC number?

Old Stitz Polyfiber systems used Ceconite fabric.

Edited by tcj

Posted

I would replace the bungees.  The bungees should hold the gear legs tight up against the belly with two 200 pounders in the seat.  It looks like the hose clamps are to hold those extra rubber bumpers to take up slack in those bungees.  Just the hose is what is meant to be there.

Posted (edited)

Mike,  I asked in your old thread if the side decorations are decals or painted on.  I agree with tcj - you should replace the bungees now.  And check on proper length of safety cables while you are doing that.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Before you take the blocks out between the landing gear and the seat truss, look at the wheels and see if the blocks are there so the wheels are straight up and down, and not canted in on the bottom.  Before you change out the bungees, have a look at these messages where I show how I changed mine out on my Kitfox 1    "BY MYSELF!!!"  I'm kind of proud of that.  Can't do it on the Avid though,  and I'm ready to put them on.  I have the wheels tied together for now.  JImChuk

Posted

Definatly change the bungees.Also the safety cables may be a bit short and should be further inboard (this has been covered in this or the other channel?)

Posted

Mike,  I asked in your old thread if the side decorations are decals or painted on.  I agree with tcj - you should replace the bungees now.  And check on proper length of safety cables while you are doing that.   EDMO

Sorry for not answering that question till now Ed. The "decoration" is all painted on. I am not fond of it and will remove it eventually. Mike

Posted

Before you take the blocks out between the landing gear and the seat truss, look at the wheels and see if the blocks are there so the wheels are straight up and down, and not canted in on the bottom.  Before you change out the bungees, have a look at these messages where I show how I changed mine out on my Kitfox 1    "BY MYSELF!!!"  I'm kind of proud of that.  Can't do it on the Avid though,  and I'm ready to put them on.  I have the wheels tied together for now.  JImChuk

Thanks for the reply Jim. I think you are right about that mess being a way to deal with an alignment issue. The bungees were changed 2 years ago and seem to be real tight. I will go check out you suggested  posts tonight after work. Mike

Posted

Sorry for not answering that question till now Ed. The "decoration" is all painted on. I am not fond of it and will remove it eventually. Mike

I Think the painting looks great!  EdMO

Posted (edited)

Well got a bit done after taking care of the yard, it definitely needed some attention. Let me know if I post to many pictures, I take a lot to help with my memory.

DSC00168.JPG

DSC00169.JPG

The silver box is a heater.

DSC00170.JPG 

This is a shot of the damage done by the safety cable from the inside.

DSC00171.JPG

DSC00172.JPG

DSC00173.JPG

DSC00174.JPG

Whelen strobe power supply is quite noisy, I think I am going to remove them.

DSC00175.JPG

This prop is very interesting, can't figure it out, there is a switch on the panel with "climb" on one side and nothing on the other.

DSC00176.JPG

DSC00177.JPG

DSC00178.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

DSC00180.JPG

DSC00181.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

Valve to shut off water flow to heater.

DSC00183.JPG

Lots of oil under the cowl, it appears to be coming from the oil injection lines.

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

DSC00186.JPG

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted

I don't think it has oil injection.  That little oil reservoir is the rotary valve oil.  The small blue lines into the carbs are primer lines.

Posted

Search IVO IFA prop. It's the IVO inflight adjustable. An electric motor turns a threaded shaft which moves a spool which engages a cam that moves a torsion bar and physically changes the pitch of the blade. Sounds complicated but pretty cool. Your going to want to take it apart and inspect and live the spool before running it. IVO website has torque specs and schematics 

Posted

Hopefully you aren't flying under sport pilot regulations...... JImChuk

Posted (edited)

And, that plane will never be LSA eligible - If that IFA prop is in the logbooks!  Logging Electric "Ground Adjustable Only" is OK tho for LSA or Sport Pilot, and you can use it to set your static before takeoff.  It should be labeled that way if you can convince the inspector, or the switch hidden or under the cowl.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

And, that plane will never be LSA eligible - If that IFA prop is in the logbooks!  Logging Electric "Ground Adjustable Only" is OK tho for LSA or Sport Pilot, and you can use it to set your static before takeoff.  It should be labeled that way if you can convince the inspector, or the switch hidden or under the cowl.   EDMO

Hmm, now that might be a problem. Nothing in the log book, and I do mean nothing. It was built originally with a wood prop which came with the plane so it may have to go back on there. Mike

Posted

It was built originally with a wood prop which came with the plane so it may have to go back on there. Mike

At least for inspection day

Posted

The airplane just needs a condition inspection to be considered airworthy. The new owner is an A&P.   Nothing in the paperwork reflecting the adjustable prop is a good thing.

Posted (edited)

The airplane just needs a condition inspection to be considered airworthy. The new owner is an A&P.   Nothing in the paperwork reflecting the adjustable prop is a good thing.

I would like to hear Akflyer's comments on this again - Of course he is in Alaska and that is a different world of flying - If you haven't lived there, you wouldn't understand - And I am not going to explain that again!  I think the "Electrically Ground Adjustable" IVO can be OK if you are very careful on the labeling and logging, or not logging - sort of like having a 180 HP engine in an LSA labeled "Full Power for Takeoff Only" (or something similar) - Well, they get away with that!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You should also be able to use the same blades with a standard hub if your wood prop is not good.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

You should also be able to use the same blades with a standard hub if your wood prop is not good.  JImChuk

There is NO TCSD for Experimental planes, and you DO NOT have an "Equipment List" either.  At most, I would just refer to it as an IVO prop.  Good idea Jim, to have a standard IVO hub too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just to muddy the water a bit, changing props is considered a major change on the aircraft.  One is supposed to notify the local FISDO of the change and put the aircraft into phase 1 flight testing.  That doesn't happen all the time though.  Once when I did just that, later the FAA had no record of it.  Sent in the right form as well also.  One other thought, is it makes sense to get all the paperwork on your aircraft from the FAA.  Real easy to do, and doesn't cost much.   Never know what be lurking there that you don't know about.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just to muddy the water a bit, changing props is considered a major change on the aircraft.  One is supposed to notify the local FISDO of the change and put the aircraft into phase 1 flight testing.  That doesn't happen all the time though.  Once when I did just that, later the FAA had no record of it.  Sent in the right form as well also.  One other thought, is it makes sense to get all the paperwork on your aircraft from the FAA.  Real easy to do, and doesn't cost much.   Never know what be lurking there that you don't know about.   JImChuk

AGREE on FAA records - Paper or CD - easy to get and possibly save a headache.  EDMO

Posted

I was looking through a CD for an airplane, and found the stuff was a lot harder to look at than the paper copies.  It costs more besides I believe.  JImChuk

Posted

So if I get copies from the FAA and it shows the prop on them will I lose my probable deny-ability, if, and when I get caught? Mike ;-)