Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got solar

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Well spent another weekend in wonderful Wisconsin and finished up my solar project. It is so nice to have some form of electricity. For the last two years it was start the generator to make coffee in the morning and buy lots of ice to keep the ice cream cool but not anymore.

100_1250.JPG

0702170959a_Burst01.jpg

0702170949.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

That will supply enough power to run the fridge and make coffee?

Posted (edited)

TJay,  How about educating us?  Is this AC or DC power?  Are the control gizmos you show in the building or in your trailer?  What do they do?  What volts / amps does this procuce?  How much did it cost?

You don't make your camping coffee over a campfire while frying the bacon?   Motel-Trailer camping was never taught to us in the Army, and there were no roads in most of Alaska!   ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I ran my cabin 12v system for the RV pump and heater off a single battery.  Always had to recharge everyday when the generator was running.  I installed a 180 watt panel of amazon that was 190 bucks delivered with the controller.  My battery never went below 13.2v since I hooked that single panel up and it would run the 650 watt inverter we had for the radio and tv as well.  They really do work nice when you want to keep the area quiet.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

TJay,  How about educating us?  Is this AC or DC power?  Are the control gizmos you show in the building or in your trailer?  What do they do?  What volts / amps does this procuce?  How much did it cost?

You don't make your camping coffee over a campfire while frying the bacon?   Motel-Trailer camping was never taught to us in the Army, and there were no roads in most of Alaska!   ;<)  EDMO

Looks like they are in the generator shed.  Looks like the controller for the panel, generator switch and the inverter to get 110 off the batteries.

Posted

That looks like a pretty substantial panel. Or two it looks like. And a 4X4 post? Wouldn't it be more efficient if it followed the sun?

Cool stuff!

Posted

That looks like a pretty substantial panel. Or two it looks like. And a 4X4 post? Wouldn't it be more efficient if it followed the sun?

Cool stuff!

The sun is only in one direction from up there - South!  ;<)  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

The panels produce dc power it is converted to 30 amp 220ac in the little shed through the inverter,  we could only afford one Tesla battery, It is a 1.4kw that little battery on the shelf will allow us to pull 1000 watts for 5 hours continuously. As far as price, its a lot. But Less than Vernon electric wanted to hook us up to the grid, but of coarse not near as much power.  

2 people like this

Posted

Cool stuff!

Two panels I just like the looks of wood in the wilderness. Thats why I built it,  But you are correct if it would move south west in the evening it would be more efficient.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Cool stuff!

Two panels I just like the looks of wood in the wilderness. Thats why I built it,  But you are correct if it would move south west in the evening it would be more efficient.

Nobody drinks coffee in the evening!  But, no overhead wires to snag a plane, and Al Gore would be proud of you!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO