Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Curious fawns

13 posts in this topic

Posted

My wife ( ok, and me too just a teeny bit maybe) really looks forward to this time of the year when the latest batch of little ones race around the yard. These twins were sooo inquisitive this am, they actually went up the step onto the patio checking out the flower pots. For a moment we thought they might keep going right up onto the upper deck! I'm a bit surprised our youngest Lab didn't go thru the slider screen, the fawns were probably less than 20' from him. Ain't nature grand sometimes? 

image.thumb.jpeg.8355e20dbaf70341deb59fa

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Our Spring entertainment has been a "yard cat" who was born behind neighbor's shed about 2 years ago.  She carried 4 kittens over to my place this May on Mother's Day.  I trapped her and one male kitten and had them both "fixed" and brought them back here.  Got 3 more kittens to "fix" - 5 cats surrounded by many fenced-in neighbor's dogs are enough.   Had a large coyote come into the yard one night last week - He left quickly when I put a bright strobe light in his eyes and yelled at him.   2 groundhogs come and eat grass about every day, and coons get in garbage cans.  A deer will turn on my motion-detector light occasionally.  I think my 2 red foxes moved on?  Of course, I posted about the skunk.  This is just one of the benefits of retirement - When I was working I didn't have time to watch.   Not quite like Alaska, where I had a Moose with 2 young ones sleeping in my yard, and big brown bears close by, but good enough for me.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Nature is a very cool thing. When I was walking along the shore of Lake Huron this morning I was entertained by the fishflys, big hatch this year, they would hookup in mid air and as they lost altitude and got close to the surface of the water they quickly became food for the fish. It is amazing how far out of the water a large fish can jump. Mike

Posted

Nature is a very cool thing. When I was walking along the shore of Lake Huron this morning I was entertained by the fishflys, big hatch this year, they would hookup in mid air and as they lost altitude and got close to the surface of the water they quickly became food for the fish. It is amazing how far out of the water a large fish can jump. Mike

I have seen chunks of ice the size of cars coming out of Lake Huron and putting houses in danger.  Exciting winter in Michigan!  EDMO

Posted

My brother sent me a picture of his front yard years ago. There was a perfect half circle made by deer eating all night. Whenever I go up we usually see some big bucks running around more then anything else. He's on 20 acres of land right near Low Country airport . 

Posted

A little patients and a baby Humming Bird...

hummingbird.thumb.jpg.0f3e7daef1c9ee9f93

3 people like this

Posted

Adorable baby bird.  Those guys put us human fliers to shame though!  Hundreds of years of evolution compared to only 115 for us as fliers.  I am awed with what birds routinely pull off.

Posted

OOOPS!  Hundreds of MILLIONS of years!

Posted

The simplest life form is probably millions of times more complex than the key board I'm typing on.  None of us would think that the keyboard just happened.  Why would I believe that all life forms "just happened".  But to each his own, I guess.  Sorry if this offends, but I like to give credit to where credit is due.  JImChuk

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

That's a cute little dinosaur descendant photo of the Hummingbird.  My College Geology teacher, who was also a Palentologist (SP?) and got to name the latest dinosaur found in Alaska, said that there was about a 100 Trillion to 1 chance of us ever being here.  Maybe she was right?  It's too much for my tiny brain to figure out.  I just wonder why the dinosaurs came first for hundreds of millions of years, if we are supposed to be "The Chosen Ones"?  Maybe the Dinosaur Farts were needed to produce the Ozone layer to protect us from the Sun?  ???  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

That is amazing I cant believe  you got it to land on you. Nice work.

Edited by TJay

Posted

These guys were checking out my new hangar the other day....

20180406_195326_small.jpg

Posted

Yes I suppose they were just fawning over your hangar!

1 person likes this