Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel pooling behind oil-injector on Rotax 582?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I pulled out one of the screws securing the oil-injector block-off plate on my Rotax 582, and was surprised when maybe a couple fluid ounces of gas came pouring out of the hole.  Looking at the exploded view of the engine, I can't fathom how gas would accumulate there or what seal may be failing.   

It didn't appear the be the goopy deposited oil that accumulates in/around the carbs when using pre-mixed gas.  Instead, it appear to be fairly fresh gasoline. 

Any ideas? 

Posted (edited)

Check the screw holes to see if they go through the engine case into the crankcase.  If the engine gets flooded there can be a few ounces of raw fuel in the crankcase.  It could drain out, especially the lower hole.

Edited by tcj

Posted

check your primer.  A buddy just went through this and could not stop gas from leaking out the carbs ad depending on how the plane was sitting, running back inside the engine..  Rebuilt carbs etc and it still leaked.  Turned out the primer seal was pretty much gone and allowing raw gas to just run through the lines into the engine.

Posted

Re the primer suggestion:  I have an electric prime and the solenoid valve isn't leaking.   Fuel that leaks down the rotary valve could accumulate where I'm seeing that, and that's my current suspicion.