Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

POLYESTER RESIN ???

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I believe the PVC cleaner is acetone. Or at least what I have used.

Posted (edited)

Just guessing,  That the cleaner is different than the glue?  Guess if you made a plane out of PVC tubing, the fabric would stick to it just fine - might have a warping problem with this 100F summer heat tho?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Could very well be. While in the shop today I checked my can (several years old) which is for PVC and CPVC. It had four ingredients, first was MEK, last was acetone. With MEK concerns in recent years, perhaps they've done away with that part.

Yes Ed, the primer/cleaner is to help the glue work better - and it definitely does.

Posted

Could very well be. While in the shop today I checked my can (several years old) which is for PVC and CPVC. It had four ingredients, first was MEK, last was acetone. With MEK concerns in recent years, perhaps they've done away with that part.

Yes Ed, the primer/cleaner is to help the glue work better - and it definitely does.

You are right. Seems they make some variances.  From an MSDS:

Oatey Purple Primer: Acetone, Cyclohexanone, Tetrahydrofuran, Methyl ethyl ketone
Oatey Clear Cleaner: Acetone, Cyclohexanone
Oatey Purple Primer/Cleaner: Acetone, Cyclohexanone

I have run out of cleaner before though, and poured some straight acetone in the cleaner can and it worked just fine. Yea, that MEK is pretty stout.

2 people like this

Posted

Good to know if one is out of cleaner between town trips, thanks!

Posted (edited)

Good to know if one is out of cleaner between town trips, thanks!

If there is a woman (or two) in the house, there will always be acetone for removing fingernail polish.   You cant convince a woman that acetone is bad stuff to put on your skin or breathe!  Nails are more important!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I don't think acetone is that bad for you. I don't think it would be much more than alcohol. I use to hand lay cowlings and hoppers for crop dusters and built seats, RC boats and 18 and 20 foot jet boats. You got your hands wet with resin, there is only one way to really get it off. So we used to wash our hands in it. I can tell you this. I never had a cut get infected the whole time I worked there. ;)

Posted

When I was young and ignorant, I worked in my Uncle's shop.  Part of the job was bonding asbestos fabric to brake shoes.  The only way to get the glue off was to wash hands in MEK.  I also ground the fabric without any protective gear.  40 years later I had growth on both kidneys, and lost one of them because of cancer.  I worked with fiberglass and acetone for 27 years at Chrysler.   I cant prove a link, but really suspect that all the chemicals I worked with over the years had some effect.  EDMO