Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Skis

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's a couple of pix of my plane with the new Airdale wheel through skis installed! We (Brett and I) have been working on an install for the Kitfox of these skis. Now to perfect our tail ski design...

First photo is from Dave's Farm. (No, not either of the Dave's farms from YouTube...)

Second photo is on the lake next to the Airdale facility (Brett's house.)

post-36-12659389817138_thumb.jpg

post-36-12659390096552_thumb.jpg

Posted

Fun fun fun... I miss the snow! Would love to ski fly someday.

Posted

Here's a couple of pix of my plane with the new Airdale wheel through skis installed! We (Brett and I) have been working on an install for the Kitfox of these skis. Now to perfect our tail ski design...

First photo is from Dave's Farm. (No, not either of the Dave's farms from YouTube...)

Second photo is on the lake next to the Airdale facility (Brett's house.)

I'm thinking you need to send a set up here for real testing hint hint :lol: what are the dimensions on the ski's?

Posted

I'm thinking you need to send a set up here for real testing hint hint :lol: what are the dimensions on the ski's?

About yea by such give or take a little... :french11:

Actually these are prototypes. The "production" version will be a little wider (maybe fit around Kingfox tires) and incorporate a one-size-fits-all style height & camber user adjustable feature.

(BTW the View new content button doesn't work again...)

Posted

About yea by such give or take a little... :french11:

Actually these are prototypes. The "production" version will be a little wider (maybe fit around Kingfox tires) and incorporate a one-size-fits-all style height & camber user adjustable feature.

(BTW the View new content button doesn't work again...)

:wtf: I just used the view new content button to get to this post... try and refresh the page in case it is caching cookies.

Mine are 60" X 12" and I would not want them any smaller. I thinks randy made his 72" X 12" and he likes the way they work in the deep snow.

Posted

smile.gif I am absolutely a believer that bigger is better when it comes to skis. Those skis look good; from what I can tell they are very similar to my Avid skis. Is Brett using the Avid plans? The Avid skis that I have were built 12" longer than the stock ones so they are 72" X 12". I flew them as wheel penetration skis for a couple of years and it was nice to be able to take off from the runway when we didn't have enough snow or had just suffered a mid-winter meltdown. sad.gif but I was always afraid to land anyplace there was no packed snow from snow machines, etc. I got to spend an unplanned overnight one spring when I landed in sone rotten snow and could not get out. At the time I had built a set of plastic (UHMW) plates I could shove under my tires by deflating them to fill the tire hole. The problem was it tended to build up a snow plug in the hole recess and still caused a lot of drag. I finally switched them to straight skis by replacing the cut out bottom with a solid UHMW bottom that is 72" x 12". So far I can land anywhere and have never had a problem getting outsmile.gif . If you are looking at what size to put in production; be sure to offer a set that are 72"X12" for those who live in deep snow areas! The nice thing about that design is they can be setup as wheel penetration or straight skis. For those who live with intermitent snow, the wheel skis are the only choice and you just have to live with the compromised performance. Fortunately there is a lake (frozen in winter) on the other side of the airport that I can get tosmile.gif , just how to do itsad.gif . I built two different designs of taxi wheels with limited success and finally built a tilt bed trailer like a snow machine trailer with a boat winch on the front. With the Avid skis having tail wheels, it allows me to hook a strap to the axles and hook into that with the hand winch and easily crank the Avid up on the trailer while the tailwheel stays on the ground. Tilt the trailer up and pin it and I can tow the avid to the lake to take off; very easy and fast plus saves my back a lot of agony. I will try to get some pics of the set up for those who may be interested.

I looked for a pic of my Avid when I had the wheel ski set up on it and now as straight skis. In the pic showing snow tracks I laid and circled back into, you can see how deep my TW was cutting just in front of the nose; it's pretty deep snow with the tail sinking close to my horiz- stab when stopped, but the big skis stil float the plane. I can stand out on the ski and it still doesn't tend to sink any further. The only thing better would be Leni's 14' skiswink.gif . I have been told that you could make the ski slightly better by making the bottom slightly convex; that it would break the snow suction faster. It would be interesting to experiment with that. Meanwhile you can use the float technique of lifting one ski first to reduce drag which seems to help some. That ski flying is just fun stuff. I have been wanting to try to write my name in the snow with tracks; I just need to find a big enough lakelmao.gif .

post-75-1266011049019_thumb.jpg

post-75-12660111398785_thumb.jpg

post-75-12660112220841_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Jokes aside - These are 12 x 60. The production units will be 14 x 60. We will take your advise for a 72 length option seriously, thanks.

Our next priority is a tail ski which gives a wheel-through type of option or capability...

We also have some ideas on the shape of the plastic to help matters.

More to come, for sure.

(the button is working properly now. Dunno - might be my antique laptop I'm using...)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

When is the tail ski going to be done? I could use one right now. You will learn with wheelskis the the brakes will freeze up. If you are taxing from snow to pavement you will have to get out and brake your wheels loose. If you are landing on pavement after taxing with wheel skis in the snow, be prepaired for a little wheel screech. Wheel skis do build up lots of snow and ice, but I guess there are always trade offs. It is still nice to taxi from your hanger to the snow.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

The tail ski is on the short list for this week. Maybe testing by next weekend...

Posted

The tail ski is on the short list for this week. Maybe testing by next weekend...

better get it short short listed... looks like there are more than a few guys who are awaiting the new ski! If it is reasonably priced, I will get one instead of spending my time making one... damn I am getting lazy these days :lol:

Posted

Me to.

Posted (edited)

Me to.

The tail skis are in production now. The testing I did was quite successful and the performance with the wheel through is pretty good.

You will need to talk to Brett at Airdale if you want one.

Unfortunately, our ski season is closing very quickly. 50° here today and the snow is melting very quickly. Last Saturday was my last ski flying day for this season. I've take my skis off.

Next project is preping the plane for the trip to Sun 'N Fun!!! boobs.gif

Edited by Av8r3400