Is this the one? So many doubts.

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here's a link to a new listing this morning on Barnstormers.  I guess my first question relates to the gear.  Isn't the object to get bigger tires on the ground?   That gear looks too tall to me.  I know Joey's airplane is on similar gear but why did this seller put such small tires on those too tall legs.  I dunno.  I'm also 2 smoke adverse, but there are plenty of folks I respect on this forum who swear by them.  And of course some who swear at them too.  That's a good price I think on that airplane.  Isn't it?

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1274005_2014+avid+flyer+heavy+hauler+.html

Dan

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

Seems to be a good price . I've had 4 stroke and 2 smoke powered planes and don't mind flying with either. They both have there pros and cons . My avid has a 582 gh and I love it . Yes I would like more power but it is what it is . I'm getting ready to build a sonerai II so I can get my speed fix.

Posted

That is an extended speed wing.  Good looking bird but unless it was built with the heavy spars and closer rib spacing its NOT a heavy hauler. It is still not a bad price if the workmanship is good.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

That is an extended speed wing.  Good looking bird but unless it was built with the heavy spars and closer rib spacing its NOT a heavy hauler. It is still not a bad price if the workmanship is good.

:BC:

I did question the short flaperons.  About half the airplanes on Barnstormers are not described correctly.  Thanks for the heads up.  Ivo props don't impress either......so a $16K bird soon becomes a $?? bird. 

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

There's a complete build thread on this plane here. I inspected it while I was home on leave a few weeks back. Very nicely done by Robert Hast (High Country). Several of us running that gear set up. It's 96" wide!! Super stable. Dynomike has had good luck with his on the 27s. I'm running 8.50s for a while. 

Posted

There's a complete build thread on this plane here. I inspected it while I was home on leave a few weeks back. Very nicely done by Robert Hast (High Country). Several of us running that gear set up. It's 96" wide!! Super stable. Dynomike has had good luck with his on the 27s. I'm running 8.50s for a while. 

You back in the sandbox again?  Probably can't say eh.   Anyway, High Country is Nick Lappos who took his MKiV from Cal to Conn.  I would like to see that build thread if somebody can find it.  Otherwise maybe a PM to exchange e-mails or text messages with Robert Hast. 

Posted (edited)

You back in the sandbox again?  Probably can't say eh.   Anyway, High Country is Nick Lappos who took his MKiV from Cal to Conn.  I would like to see that build thread if somebody can find it.  Otherwise maybe a PM to exchange e-mails or text messages with Robert Hast. 

Nick "Nlappos" is not "High Country" - That is Robert - I corresponded with Robert while he was building his bird.   Donno if he is still on here.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Thanks ED:  I must have taken a wrong turn someplace in the members database.  This is the dude I got mixed up:

https://www.facebook.com/nick.lappos/media_set?set=a.10204506616008187.1073741829.1316312324&type=1&l=ed9d700cb5

There are about 477 posts by High Country and I haven't gone through them all to see what he did on that airplane. 

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

Thanks ED:  I must have taken a wrong turn someplace in the members database.  This is the dude I got mixed up:

https://www.facebook.com/nick.lappos/media_set?set=a.10204506616008187.1073741829.1316312324&type=1&l=ed9d700cb5

There are about 477 posts by High Country and I haven't gone through them all to see what he did on that airplane. 

Dan,  If I remember right, he had extended speedwings and talked about extending the flaperons, but don't quote me on that.  I think he built the bush gear too?  I was trying to keep up with him and Birddog 486 who was building at the same time.   EDMO

Posted (edited)

New idea, new idea.  

https://spokane.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=SkyRaider

I need to go see this one.  Anybody want to go?  I'm in Reno NV and would need to trailer it back.  The engine was bought new for the kit then run a few times ( taxi only of course ) and then has sat around for 16 years.  I imagine the tanks should be cleaned, hoses changed, carb confronted, tires checked and general quality assessed.  The current owner is the original builder and the airplane is not an airplane yet.  No N# no registration.  I'll need to talk to my local FAA mech dude and see if he'll call it parts.  I know it's not an AvidFox but it would never have existed without Avid as the inspiration.  Ship the engine off to Rotax Rick, put a starter and electrical system in it and I'll finally be back in the air.  

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

I have a SkyRaider 1 for sale.

Posted

I have a SkyRaider 1 for sale.

I saw that on Barnstormers.  It looks great.  The 447 though.  And it's in MN.  How do you like it?

Posted

The 447 is a good engine, plenty of power for that airplane. It is a great flying airplane, that is why there is 300 hours on it.

Posted (edited)

The 447 is a good engine, plenty of power for that airplane. It is a great flying airplane, that is why there is 300 hours on it.

Brian and Carol Carpenter flew a Quicksilver with a 447 for 450 hours without a teardown or incident.  With oil injection!  Yours is also already registered. And you have a trailer too.  Hmmmm.  I'm at 5000' and it's been 85F at 6AM around here.

neb58n.jpg

Edited by Emory Bored